Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For Ones have Mega Quilter

Posted by stitcheasy2003 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 12, 11 at 8:34

Hello
I have the Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter. In the User's Guide book, Page 13. "Presser Foot Pressure Dial". It says For regular sewing set the pressure to 3. Set the pressure to "0" for free motion.
Q1: What is consider regular sewing?
Q2: What do you set your dial for quilting? free motion is 0.
Q3: Did anyone buy the walking foot with the machine?
I did, I was wondering afterwards if I really needed it.
Q4: Would the regular foot that comes with the machine do the job of quilting the quilts?
I am going to make rag quilts, quilt as you go quilts, quilting oven mitts. etc. Thank you B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For Ones have Mega Quilter

I don't have this machine, but here're my thoughts on your situation.... Sort of standard answers I think regardless of the machine.

Q1: What is consider regular sewing?
A1: I would consider 'regular sewing' to be clothing & piecing...two layers of regular fabric.

Q2: What do you set your dial for quilting? free motion is 0.
A2: If free motion is a 0 setting, and normal sewing is a 3, then if I were doing a quilt sandwich I would try a 4 or 5 and see if everything moves together well.

Q3: Did anyone buy the walking foot with the machine?
I did, I was wondering afterwards if I really needed it.
A3: A walking foot will help keep all the layers of a quilt sandwich moving together without shifting, regardless of the pressure on the foot.

Q4: Would the regular foot that comes with the machine do the job of quilting the quilts?
A4: A regular foot can work for quilting a sandwich (I used one for years!) but I would still use a walking foot if I had one.

Jennifer

o

I agree with everything Jennifer said. Good answers.

I use a walking foot when quilting and would recommend it. Start out with your pressure at 3 for quilting, then increase it if it doesn't seem to work well.

For free motion quilting, you need what's usually called a darning foot that lifts the whole foot off the quilt between stitches so you can freely move the quilt around under the needle.

Hope that helps!
Kate

o

You will find that walkng foot very handy for quilting any kind of straight line patterns, but don't try to use it for free motion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here