Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

March 2012 Quilting/Sewing Goals

I know, I know......you still have today to work on your February goals. But, since I'm thinking about goals for March, thought I'd better post this now before I forget. lol

1. Binding on Jewels and mail

2. Get the Chocolate (Brown) Stars to the sandwiched stage.

3. Quilt the Twister Wreath (from Feb)

4. Snuggle Neck Rings....ongoing

5. Finish making pink crumbs

SharonG/FL

Comments (43)

• day2day
    12 years ago

Hi Sharon. You're on board early.
    I know what you mean about forgetting things.
    Guess it happens to us all.

I am so proud to say that I reached MOST of my goals for February.
    I did not get to work on my sampler blocks but that is something I am looking forward to doing once I get the pesky quilting done on my quilt tops.
    I got 3 tops finished in February.

March Goals:
    1. Quilt my next one( no name)...already sandwiched, ready to go.
    2. Sandwich and quilt and maybe bind my next top...tentatively called Summer Flowers.
    3. Sandwich and quilt and maybe bind 'Violets' quilt.
    4. Try to work in a bit of 'fun time' making blocks for my sampler quilt.

Good Luck to all of us working on completing our projects.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    12 years ago

My only goal for March is to FINALLY finish the huge quilt for my living room! This thing has been on my goal list for about 2 years now. I finally quilted it a couple of months ago, now all it needs is some embellishing and binding. Of course, we're talking ten yards of binding, plus a 10 foot long hanging sleeve! LOL

Hopefully I'll get some other things accomplished, too.

Donna

• nannykins
    12 years ago

And mine will be to finish Feb. goals. I did get two tops sandwiched and quilted before life took over. So those need bindings and then two more tops to get finished. I don't like making these goals because I get frustrated when I don't get them done. BUT on the other hand, it does force me to make a start anyway.
    Theresa

• calliope
    12 years ago

Finish hand quilting my paper pieced stars quilt. It's been a work in progress for a year now and sits on the frame shaming me. I need to get the frame knocked down to give back to my DD.

Work on the new Jewel Box top. I'm having a ball with this one and it's a spin-off from one of the lotto blocks. Eating my scrap and strip stash up. Oh Joy!

• loisflan
    12 years ago

I just reviewed my February goals, and I did quite well. I was not able to refrain from buying more fabric for the baby turtle quilt, however.

For March:
    1. Bind sailboat quilt when it comes back from LAQ.
    2. Do March blocks (DONE AND SENT)
    3. I decided to start the stack and whack baby quilt for an old friend and work colleague whose daughter is expecting her first child. Started cutting last night. Would like to finish it this month.
    4. Finish a sweater for my daughter that I must have started four years ago. All I have to do is pick up 139 stitches around the neck and do the trim, but I'm afraid I may run out of yarn. What a bummer that will be.
    5. Make placemats for which I've had the fabric three years.
    6. Make a outboard motor cover for my sailboat motor.
    7. Deliver completed City Lights quilt to my step-daughter.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Lois, you could always make the trim narrower than it calls for if you are running out of yarn. I'm knitting a shawl; I should be able to finish that this month, too.

Donna

• grammyp
    12 years ago

1) finish Sharon's quilt
    2) finish silent auction rag quilt
    3) at least make progress on 2 baby quilts

beverly

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I'm still formulating my goals for March. I haven't finished thinking up goals for February yet. I do work ahead on birthday blocks. Some give me such good ideas for the future.

Leap day sale at Beverly's is 30% off all fabric today so I'm going to be too busy shopping today to think about tomorrow.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

March?!? How can it be March already?!?

Well, let's see... I think March is going to be a vintage month.

• Make a table runner to coordinate with my vintage Franciscan Pottery Starburst dishes
    • Make a casserole carrier or two using vintage print fabrics
    • Add a couple potholders to coordinate with each of those projects
    • Go to the Lancaster quilt show and let myself be inspired to start a whole new project
    • Construct a couple more bears and little matching quilts for the guild show
    • Practice free motion quilting with my new sewing machine foot

Kate

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Finish a Bargello quilt.

Start a smaller project for a wall hanging or table runner.

I won't be able to spend as much time at the sewing machine once the weather permits time outside for March yard clean-up chores and pruning of vines and shrubs.

Julie

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Last day of the month, so I finished sandwiching the two tops I had left. So now March goals will be to quilt them and bind all four. Wish me luck!
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Geraldine, Looks like you'll mostly be sandwiching, quilting and binding this month. Good luck!

Donna, What's the size of your huge quilt? You must have a huge wall area to hang it.

Awww, Theresa, The only pressure is what you put on yourself. When I started making monthly goals, it was to remind myself what I wanted to work on as I would forget. Working on your goals no matter how much gets done is a great accomplishment....at least I think so. I think I've become more organized since starting making monthly goals.

Calliope, Isn't it fun to make something from scraps and get that pile of leftovers used up?

Lois, Wow! You have quite a bit going there, but you're a go-getter so I'm sure you'll get as much done as you can, if not everything.

Beverly, I have no doubt that you'll get everything on your list accomplished!

TG/Linda, You silly! You've been doing handwork thinking about projects to do at the machine. Come on, commit to something.....or finish something. So, your goal for today was to shop......tell us what you bought.

Kate, Yup, tomorrow is March. How do you ever have time to get so much done?

Julie, Didn't you have some bad weather go through your state? I think we lose a few quilters when the weather turns nice as they like to garden, too. Difficult to tell this year when it will happen or for how long. @:/

Peace......

SharonG/FL

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Sharon,
    Didn't you have some bad weather go through your state?
    A heavy storm dumped 12+" of snow in northern WI, but we were spared, here in SE WI. It's been above freezing lately, so all we have is rain. We've experienced a very mild, but wet winter...much nicer than the 23.5" of snow from the blizzard of Feb. 2011! Thanks for asking.

As the weather warms, I will limit myself to quilting the monthly lottos, and a few small wall hangings, I hope.
    I think I'd also like to make a pillow cover or fiber-art-type stitchery, using all the fancy stitches on my machine. I'll post a pic of my Bargello when I finish it.

Julie

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Sharon, we have an 8 foot wide slider in our living room. We also have a very high cathedral ceiling, so there's a huge swath of blank wall above the slider. My quilt is 10 ft wide x 5 ft long, and my idea is to hang it above the window with a few inches overlapping the top of the window like a giant valance.

It's called Florida Natives. I picked the name for 2 reasons...the center is an applique depiction of plants native to Florida, and hubby and I are both also native to Florida. :)

Of course, after I got way too far into the project to change it, I realized making a series of 3 or 4 panels would have been much easier to deal with! :)

Donna

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Donna, I can hardly wait to see your giant wallhanging. I'm certain it's going to be spectacular!

Sharon said "Kate,... How do you ever have time to get so much done?" It's not hard if you totally abandon housecleaning and yard work! ;~))

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Kate, that's my MO, too...I was showing off my orchid yesterday at work and the pastor asked how I have time to do all my quilts. I didn't tell him I don't cook, clean or do yard work! LOL

Donna

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Somehow, I knew I wasn't alone in this!!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna, Can't wait to see a picture of your "valance" hanging over the slider. We have 3 sliders in the living room (have no idea why they did that....only the front one is usable) but a low ceiling. Our front slider (to the porch) has the sun streaming in during the late afternoon so fabric would have a good chance of fading quickly.

I know you Kate! You're going to be out with your plants before you know it! But, I've just about given up on housework, and I have given up on yard work. DH prefers I stay inside......fine, I can handle that.

Donna, There are some things we don't confess to.....heh heh heh

• susan_on
    12 years ago

Well, I've been making such minimal progress, that I've been afraid you all were going to kick me off this forum!

Anyway, my plan for March is to finish that lap quilt top that I've started ;)

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I don't have a big list for March. I'm up to date on my Dear Jane blocks (we're already on month 7 right now), but behind on about everything else. I'd like to get back on my Stitcher's Garden quilt. I only have about 4-5 more blocks on it. My kids are out of school for spring break this month and I will be home, but I'm hoping we'll get a few projects done around the house. It is also my husband's and son's birthday's this month, so that will take up some of my weekend time with parties.

Robbi

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

My first goal is to get back home to my quilting room! When I do, I have a quilt on the frame to finish for my Kid's Quilt at quilt guild.
    Second, make my Craftsy BOMs for March.
    I'm sure I will think of other projects when I get home.
    Linda OH

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Donna please post a pic of your living room wall hanging when you get it finished.

My goals for March are to:
    1. Finish embroidering blocks for my grandma's quilt top.
    2. Sew all the blocks, stripping, and border together for grandma's quilt top. So I can start quilting it in April.
    3. Start cutting fabric for a Jewel Box Scrap Quilt which Beverly has inspired me to start. Her's is just gorgeous! I have been saving fabric for a scrap quilt for a few years. Then when I saw her quilt pic I knew that was the scrap quilt I wanted to make. This quilt I plan to keep for me. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The month is almost 1/3 over......how is everyone doing so far?

1. Binding on Jewels and mail
    2. Get the Chocolate (Brown) Stars to the sandwiched stage. DONE and have the batting relaxing and the backing on the ironing board.
    3. Quilt the Twister Wreath DONE (binding is on, too) Want to put some hanging straps on this one.
    4. Snuggle Neck Rings....ongoing
    5. Finish making pink crumbs DONE

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    12 years ago

My living room quilt is DONE! :) Just needs the label. We are planning to hang it today and I'll post pictures.

For the rest of the month I'm going to make miniatures for my guild's 2013 show.

Sharon, you're doing well!

Donna

• day2day
    12 years ago

Donna, congrats on the finish.

Sharon, you are doing so well.
    I haven't touched my sewing projects in over a week.
    I just haven't been in the mood but that will change today.
    It's snowing...AGAIN...so I plan to sit at the machine and sew.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A friend gave me quite a few of these hangers but the rod doesn't come apart to slide into loops, so velcro will have to do and loop over to attach......the hanger might even be too short for this one. My thought was that possibly it could also be used as a table topper....I don't know.....

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Very nice. Makes me think of Christmas. Is that a Christmasy fabric in the border?
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Theresa. It's all Christmassy fabric except for the solid green border and background white. I had strips saved back of the green to use for the binding but do you think I could find it? NO! So ended up using the border fabric. This is my first Twister.....will probably do another, but not in the mood right now. @:)

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    12 years ago

At last! The four quilts are finished today.
    So now I can dream about the next one(s).
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Almost the end of the month......so how are you doing on your projects? I'm cutting it close with the Jewels quilt, but I only have to sew the binding down now so I should be ok to get it out by the end of the week. I also made 4 more Snuggle Neck Rings. I finally was able to get a layout for a Twister Heart and now can't find my tool! I remember putting it in the plastic bag with the tree pattern but can't find it now! I should have put it with the rest of my rulers. Guess I can still sew the squares together so that part will be done when I find it. Although, I really shouldn't start anything new yet!

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I didn't do very well this month, but that just means I already have my list for next month!
    Make a table runner to coordinate with my vintage Franciscan Pottery Starburst dishes - DONE!
    Make a casserole carrier or two using vintage print fabrics
    - moving this one to April
    Add a couple potholders to coordinate with each of those projects
    - moving this one to April, too
    Go to the Lancaster quilt show and let myself be inspired to start a whole new project
    - DONE! Trip was great and I was definitely inspired!
    Construct a couple more bears and little matching quilts for the guild show
    - No, no more bears.
    Practice free motion quilting with my new sewing machine foot
    - I've been doing this so even though it's an on-going thing I'll say I accomplished this goal for March

I spent most of my free sewing time working on tops for a couple lap quilts. Neither one is done yet, but I'll finish them in April. I did finish one mini quilt for the guild and am working on another.

Kate

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Finished and hung the HUGE quilt, and made 4 minis for the guild. On to April!

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kate, You did fine! This is only a reminder of things to do.....whether they get done this month or next, doesn't matter. You did learn you don't want to do anymore bears. lol

Donna, You go, girl!!!!

Fifty-three years ago today.....

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Sharon~53 years!!!! You certainly met your March Goals!
    Congratulations! Beautiful picture!!

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Congratulations, Sharon! Wishing you many more!

Donna

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Wow! Sharon!!! 53 years!!!
    Congrats!

What an adorable picture. You guys look like the perfect little figures on top of a wedding cake.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Congratulations to you both for working on your goals. I have the feeling Sharon that your 53 years is a goal in progress----I speak from experience of 61 yrs. and still projecting. Jayne

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Great photo, Sharon. Kate is right; you do look like the topper for a wedding cake. How sweet.

I did pretty well this month.

For March:
    1. Bind sailboat quilt when it comes back from LAQ. (DONE AND DELIVERED)
    2. Do March blocks (DONE AND SENT)
    3. I decided to start the stack and whack baby quilt for an old friend and work colleague whose daughter is expecting her first child. Started cutting last night. Would like to finish it this month. (FINISHED TOP; WAITING FOR LAQ.)
    4. Finish a sweater for my daughter that I must have started four years ago. All I have to do is pick up 139 stitches around the neck and do the trim, but I'm afraid I may run out of yarn. What a bummer that will be. (NOT DONE; TRY APRIL)
    5. Make placemats for which I've had the fabric three years.(APRIL)
    6. Make a outboard motor cover for my sailboat motor.(APRIL)
    7. Deliver completed City Lights quilt to my step-daughter. (DELIVERED)

Only four out of seven completed, but I did mail my April blocks to Kate and I'm half done with the View from the Cabin quilt top that I started. All in all, it was a pretty productive month. I did get my gardens cleaned, and I finished my taxes. (Pat, pat. Sound of me patting myself on the back.)

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

Congratulations Sharon! What a cute picture!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

My goals for March are to:
    1. Finish embroidering blocks for my grandma's quilt top.
    Finished 12 blocks out of 16 blocks for Grandma's quilt top.

2. Sew all the blocks, stripping, and border together for grandma's quilt top. So I can start quilting it in April.
    I will be starting this in April and then start doing hand quiltng in May

3. Start cutting fabric for a Jewel Box Scrap Quilt which Beverly has inspired me to start. Her's is just gorgeous! I have been saving fabric for a scrap quilt for a few years. Then when I saw her quilt pic I knew that was the scrap quilt I wanted to make. This quilt I plan to keep for me. :-) Will work on this project next month possibly.

More Goals
    4. Made 4 quilted coasters for the Seeds-N-Stitches Swap.
    5. I maid 3 March Lotto blocks (thank you geezerfolks for sharing your black fabric with me).

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the conGratz everyone. We have a lot of happy memories....at least the ones we can remember. lol Jayne, Wow, 61 years together. You and your DH must be as comfortable together as Clay and I are.

Lois, You certainly do deserve a pat on the back! Good job!

Sandra, Looks like you did very well on your goals this month. IMO, it's considered a 'pay it forward' action when sending something to a quilter in need. I was thinking about starting a thread in the Exchange part of the forum, but just haven't done it.

The Jewel quilt needs a label sewn on then it's ready to be mailed.....hope to get it in the mail tomorrow. Now I'm think about April. I have 2 quilts that I really want to get completed and out of the house. I might just concentrate on them.....will see. @:)

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    12 years ago

Hi everyone.
    Some people have made great progress and hopefully most have made some headway.

My March Goals:
    1. Quilt my next one( no name)...already sandwiched, ready to go.....DONE, still no name
    2. Sandwich and quilt and maybe bind my next top...tentatively called Summer Flowers.... quilted but binding not on
    3. Sandwich and quilt and maybe bind 'Violets' quilt..... not started
    4. Try to work in a bit of 'fun time' making blocks for my sampler quilt..... never took it out

Not as much done as last month but did make progress.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I have another mini laid out so may get one more squeezed into this month. :)

Donna

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022