Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kapustak8

Transform quilt top to duvet cover?

coffeehaus
11 years ago

Many years ago, I began a Churn Dash quilt that I never completed. Last year, I realized that I was NEVER going to end up with an actual quilt, so I decided instead to make it into a duvet cover. I joined the squares with an interposed lattice, and I am in the process of adding borders to make an 86" x 86" cover (approx.). Because I don't want to have exposed seams next to my duvet (don't want threads accumulating on the comforter), I was thinking that I need to back the quilt "top" with something before I sew it to the underside of the cover (using a queen size sheet), thus forming a case for the comforter. Then I'll fashion some kind of closure, like snaps or buttons. My question is this: what should I use for this backing? Plain old muslin OK? Too wrinkly? And if I don't plan to actually "quilt" the top, should I use something fusible, or is it best to do at least some minimal machine quilting to keep the top and backing together as a unit for the top of this cover? If it makes any difference, the cover will be machine-washed on a regular basis. I hope this all makes sense...

Comments (4)