Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan23_gw

Viking Sapphire 870 Quilt

jan23
15 years ago

I have just purchased a new Viking Sapphire 870 Quilt but seem to have problems out of the box. The problem is the auto stitch tension & the auto cutter do not work as expected. I have used my Brother innovis 500 for a comparison using the same cloth a basic utility stitch, the result is as usual just about perfect. I then try the same stitch & the same cloth using my new Viking Sapphire 870 Quilt & the result is not as good. I have tried using different cloth settings, LIGHT,MEDIUM & HEAVY with the same stitch & this does not make that much difference. I then repeated this test using the same utility stitch & the LIGHT, MEDIUM & HEAVY fabrics but this time over riding the auto tension feature in each of the cases. I tried tension settings from 1.4 to 4.6 (4.6 auto setting)& the best I could produce was a tension setting of around 1.6 but still did not produce the same quality as the Brother. I then tried all of the tension settings within the range of 1.4 to 4.6 but this did not solve the problem. The auto cutter does not function at all as far as the lower thread is concerned but the top thread cuts fine. Trying the different tension settings may well turn out to be a red herring & the real problem may well be elswhere, someone out there may already know the answer to my problems, if so your reply will be much appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from the real experts out there.

Janet

Comments (12)

• fran1523
    15 years ago

Don't know what to tell you Janet. Did you buy it from a local retailer where you can take it back and have them try it out. Even if you bought it on line, I would think a sewing machine dealer may be able to help you. Maybe it's just a bad machine and needs to be replaced. I have a Viking Lily and it works perfectly.

• anitastitch
    15 years ago

Hi Janet,

I don't have an answer for you, but there may be some folks who do. There's a forum called Pattern Review. Aside from patterns, it covers information on sewing machines.

http://sewing.patternreview.com

I've been read a lot of reviews on the Sapphire, since it was introduced a year or so ago--a lot of them similar to yours. You may get some insight there.
    Another place to go would be under the Sewing section of Gardenweb. I've seen some sewing machine threads on that as well.
    Have you spoken with your dealer? I know that the Viking dealership where I purchased my Viking from has a "Once it's out of the box and plastic bags opened, no return" Which I hate! Not sure if all of the dealers are that ridged.
    I hope you can get some help, as I have read that there are some folks with that machine who are very pleased with it.
    Best of luck

• sewmoody
    15 years ago

Janet, I am by no means an expert, but I also own a Sapphire 870, and you are not alone with problems. Without sounding too negative I would advise you to immediately take it back to your dealer. I own a Viking Designer SE and thought all their machines would be okay, I didn't expect as good as the top of the line, but for the amount of money the Sapphire cost they definitely should perform better than they do. To rub salt in my wounds, I owned a Brother before and gave it to my DGD and it sewed so much better, but what sold me on the Sapphire was the larger harp area. But just taking yours out of the box you should not be having those problems.

• imrainey
    15 years ago

Does your retailer have a demonstration class for the new machine? That would be a good time to find out all the utilities built into it and demonstrate to them what problems you're having. They'll show you how to approach it to get the results you're looking for or, in all probability, fix it on the spot if it's a mechanical defect.

I've got an older Viking/Husquvarna that I still love as much as my new Bernina. No reason you shouldn't be enjoying yours as much. They're great machines.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

You should not be having these troubles with a brand new machine. If your dealer does not help with the problem and give you satisfaction, let him know that you will complain to the company and not recommend his business to anyone. I have only received great service from 3 Viking dealers that I have had dealings with.

You should be given a new machine if this one is defective. I would strive for that resolution to this problem.

Teresa

• imrainey
    15 years ago

My older 545 Lily doesn't have automatic tension balancing but my new Bernina does. In the class when they discussed it, they said you could only count on it if you used indentical thread in the bobbin and in the needle. They said even thread of the same weight and from the same manufacturer would have to be the same color for the machine to balance it.

Just in case that has some bearing on what you're experiencing.

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

I have the viking rose,and when i first got it,it was nothing but problems.I kept taking it back and they kept sending it out to be fixed,and everytime i got it back home it was the same as it was before i took it in.I'd do a few stitches and it would stop and beep at me and tell me it was out of thread,which it never was,it was also noiseier than it should have been.

Then one day i had a class at the shop and the owner of the shop was the teacher.As i started to sew it did the same thing,so she comes over and says Kathi your machine doesn't sound right,and why is it beeping?? So i told her how many times i had brought it back in ,and how it was always the same when i got it back.So she called the repair shop(they own that also) and told them the problem i was having and she was having the same problem with my machine.So her son walked her thru how to calibrate it,still no luck.So she told him that she was bringing it back to the shop and he was to clear his schedule and figure out what was wrong with my machine and fix asap.

When i got it back that time,it worked perfect and i havn't had any problems since.

Oh by the way while i was having all those problems,i posted on some board about it,and named the machine etc.Someone at Husqvarna viking saw the post and contacted me,and told me if i didn't get it resolved to let them know and they'd have me send it to them.

So keep going back til they get it right and contact husqvarna if you have to.
    Kathi

• thegauthiers_ns_sympatico_ca
    14 years ago

Hi Janet, I also have a Sapphire 870 and have nothing but problems with it. It has gone back to the factory and had the tension discs replaced but now there is something else amiss. When I begin to sew a seam I have to check to make sure that it actually is sewing, sometimes it will take 1/2 inch to sew and others it will be 2 inches. It also snarls at the beginning of seams and the only solution is to re-thread it. These things don't happen all of the time, just enough to make the machine undependable. My dealer has been excellent but there isn't much she can do about my problem. I definitely won't be getting another Husqvarna.
    Jacqueline_gardener

• ritaweeda
    14 years ago

I don't have the Sapphire, I just got the Emerald 203 for Christmas. After 2 hours of straight stitching it died. Won't even beep when I hit the buttons. I am not happy, there seems to be only one salesperson who is working between 2 stores that are miles apart that knows anything and then I have to drive 40 miles to see her. I was told at the beginning that I would have a free lesson on it and would be contacted about it, still no contact. I took it in today but the person who knows everything wasn't there, and I reminded them about their broken promise. I was told that I still had the lesson coming, now I will have to harrass them I guess to get it set up. I am hoping to hear something about it by the end of the week. ALSO, while I was waiting to be helped, I noticed that the machine had gone down 200 dollars since Christmas, boy I was seeing red big-time.

• quiltingqueenlorry_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I have a Sapphire 870 also and had a ton of problems with the free motion quilting until I stopped using the Coats & Clark Thread. This machine works best when you use a good quality thread like Madeira, Superior and YLI. Use this same thread in the bobbin also. Give it a try!

• motherchook21
    9 years ago

Hi, I think there is a design flaw with Sapphire 870 which is really simple - and would be easily rectified - if only they found it. I don't want to make a big fuss, but am prepared to if necessary. Those of us who use these machines bought them and sometimes are in love with them - but get frustrated with shredded threads. The cause is NOT the thread jumping out of the uptake lever, or the wrong needle, thread or tension. Instead, it is that the thread gets stuck in the join between the front and back of the machine, on its way from the uptake lever and the needle. If there were any addition of a metal bar, or a clip/hook, this problem could be prevented. Please see my photo and see if yours does the same. (I removed the plastic cover between the uptake lever and tension discs - but you can see it if you gently lie your machine down on its back) Follow the line of the thread from the needle back to the up-take lever.The thread gets stuck and consequently shredded. I believe it depends on how closely joined the junction is, as to whether or not the user has a problem or not. If it fits tightly enough, there would be no problem. Husqvarna Australia are getting back to me - Hoping this helps to solve the problem by at least diagnosing it. I'd appreciate your responses if this is the case or is not. Photos would be welcome. Julie

• fran1523
    9 years ago

I have a Viking Lily which has been problem-free for almost 15 years now. I think everyone who has the Sapphire should contact the mfr and keep at it until your problems are solved. I'm betting they'll come through for you.