Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's next?

Posted by dian57 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 5:52

I tend to be a one-time quilter. I find a pattern or technique that wows me/inspires me, make it once and move on to something else.

I've done cathedral windows, paper piecing, I Spy, applique, a shoe box swap, faux drunkard's path, scrappy, T shirt, Sylvia's Bridal (on-going), crazy quilt, rag quilt, strip quilt on foundation, leader/ender Irish chain.

I need something new.

What pattern or technique has impressed you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's next?

Sounds like its time for mixed media. How about a heavily beaded and ribboned wallhanging?
Or dye your own fabrics?
Or photo transfer?
Or make the quilts for a charity purpose?

o

Someone here did the quilt with the crayons that is really neat. I still have that one my list for my dd to help me (she loves to color!).

Robbi

o

water color
snippets wall hanging
one patch quilt (maybe done as a project in value?)
3-Dimensional patterns

o

You could join the monthly lotto here to see how you like any of those patterns for a quilt.

Fatcat has a ton of fun patterns to do as does Quiltville. I've always wanted to do a barn quilt but have never gotten around to it.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohio Barn Quilts

o

A bargello?

o

I have to suggest~
***9Patch Pizazz - I made 3 and gave away for Christmas. A fun quilt, and you design using the technique.
Also any of the Tube strip quilts - look at Cozyquilt.com or Missouri quilts for inspiration.
Using Jelly Rolls or Bali Pops is always fun.
Look at Heirloom Loom creations for the Jelly roll 1600 race if you want a very fast quilt.

And, I agree with Sharon - the Monthly Lotto here is full of lots of inspiration.

o

dian........I do the same thing. I have not EVER done the same quilt twice. There are too many quilts I want to do and each one is an adventure. I certainly agree with Sharon and Kate. Many of the quilts I've done have been spin-offs of blocks we have made for the Lotto. Some of which, I'd have never done had I not tried it at someone else's suggestion and fallen in love with them. Quilts or smaller projects I've made from past lotto choices have included double nine patch, brasstown star, log cabin, red sampler, tesle kitty, card trick, crazy quilt, lady bug, chiclet and a few others not coming to mind directly. Other quilts have been inspired by discussions and pictures members of this forum have posted about over the years including thangles, 3-D pinwheels, denim patch rag quilt, easy Dresden plate, sun and shadow.

Hang around and participate, and you'll have just exactly the opposite problem..........so much inspiration you have three quilts going at the same time. LOL.

o

Lately I've been very interested in curved quilts. Either actual curved seams (I'm hand sewing a winding ways quilt now) or the image of curves, i.e. a storm at sea or kaleidoscope quilt. I am particularly interested in how the placement of color and value changes the appearance of these quilts... perhaps that will inspire you too.

To see a Winding Ways quilt scroll down a bit and look on the left side.

Here is a storm at sea that I like.

And I like this kaleidoscope or this version.

Lola

o

How about a disappering 9 patch; postage stamp; stack & whack; Farmers Daughter; applique???

o

Have you done items other than quilts, such as bags, pillows, table toppers, etc.? Yo-yo's and raw-edge appliques are fun for children's projects. I made a pillow for my granddaughter using very colorful fabrics and made flowers out of raw-edge circles (fusible) with yo-yo's in the center. She carries that pillow everywhere for over-nighters, won't sleep without it.

o

I'd think a William Morris inspired Quilt, Double Wedding Ring, Baltimore Album and the Pine Tree would all be worthy of a good challenge.

o

How about Zentangles?

o

OK, this is somewhat evil of me...because it's a long project...but I love this quilt! Combines crayon shading (if you want), simple embroidery and piecing.....not to mention it's got the prettiest designs.

It's called Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calendula Patterdrip

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here