Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692457

What's next?

User
12 years ago

I tend to be a one-time quilter. I find a pattern or technique that wows me/inspires me, make it once and move on to something else.

I've done cathedral windows, paper piecing, I Spy, applique, a shoe box swap, faux drunkard's path, scrappy, T shirt, Sylvia's Bridal (on-going), crazy quilt, rag quilt, strip quilt on foundation, leader/ender Irish chain.

I need something new.

What pattern or technique has impressed you?

Comments (13)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Sounds like its time for mixed media. How about a heavily beaded and ribboned wallhanging?
    Or dye your own fabrics?
    Or photo transfer?
    Or make the quilts for a charity purpose?

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Someone here did the quilt with the crayons that is really neat. I still have that one my list for my dd to help me (she loves to color!).

Robbi

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

water color
    snippets wall hanging
    one patch quilt (maybe done as a project in value?)
    3-Dimensional patterns

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

You could join the monthly lotto here to see how you like any of those patterns for a quilt.

Fatcat has a ton of fun patterns to do as does Quiltville. I've always wanted to do a barn quilt but have never gotten around to it.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohio Barn Quilts

• day2day
    12 years ago

A bargello?

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I have to suggest~
    ***9Patch Pizazz - I made 3 and gave away for Christmas. A fun quilt, and you design using the technique.
    Also any of the Tube strip quilts - look at Cozyquilt.com or Missouri quilts for inspiration.
    Using Jelly Rolls or Bali Pops is always fun.
    Look at Heirloom Loom creations for the Jelly roll 1600 race if you want a very fast quilt.

And, I agree with Sharon - the Monthly Lotto here is full of lots of inspiration.

• calliope
    12 years ago

dian........I do the same thing. I have not EVER done the same quilt twice. There are too many quilts I want to do and each one is an adventure. I certainly agree with Sharon and Kate. Many of the quilts I've done have been spin-offs of blocks we have made for the Lotto. Some of which, I'd have never done had I not tried it at someone else's suggestion and fallen in love with them. Quilts or smaller projects I've made from past lotto choices have included double nine patch, brasstown star, log cabin, red sampler, tesle kitty, card trick, crazy quilt, lady bug, chiclet and a few others not coming to mind directly. Other quilts have been inspired by discussions and pictures members of this forum have posted about over the years including thangles, 3-D pinwheels, denim patch rag quilt, easy Dresden plate, sun and shadow.

Hang around and participate, and you'll have just exactly the opposite problem..........so much inspiration you have three quilts going at the same time. LOL.

• lola99
    12 years ago

Lately I've been very interested in curved quilts. Either actual curved seams (I'm hand sewing a winding ways quilt now) or the image of curves, i.e. a storm at sea or kaleidoscope quilt. I am particularly interested in how the placement of color and value changes the appearance of these quilts... perhaps that will inspire you too.

To see a Winding Ways quilt scroll down a bit and look on the left side.

Here is a storm at sea that I like.

And I like this kaleidoscope or this version.

Lola

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

How about a disappering 9 patch; postage stamp; stack & whack; Farmers Daughter; applique???

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Have you done items other than quilts, such as bags, pillows, table toppers, etc.? Yo-yo's and raw-edge appliques are fun for children's projects. I made a pillow for my granddaughter using very colorful fabrics and made flowers out of raw-edge circles (fusible) with yo-yo's in the center. She carries that pillow everywhere for over-nighters, won't sleep without it.

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

I'd think a William Morris inspired Quilt, Double Wedding Ring, Baltimore Album and the Pine Tree would all be worthy of a good challenge.

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

How about Zentangles?

• meskauskas
    12 years ago

OK, this is somewhat evil of me...because it's a long project...but I love this quilt! Combines crayon shading (if you want), simple embroidery and piecing.....not to mention it's got the prettiest designs.

It's called Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calendula Patterdrip

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator