Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

OT - I guess it's all relative

loisflan
10 years ago

Back home in Minneapolis, it's been below zero with wind chill readings in the -40 to -50 range. but I'm here on Maui, Hawaii. Last night we were listening to the local weather. "It's a bone-chilling night here on Maui with temperatures as low as 64. Moms, you might want to make the kids some hot chocolate." We almost fell off our chairs.

All of you folks who aren't used to cold weather and snow, please be careful. Stay home and warm. If it makes you feel any better, it's been raining for three days here. But rain on Maui is better than January in Minnesota any day.

Comments (12)

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Oh, enjoy Maui. I will enjoy my snow and freezing temps for a couple more days. We should be up to 60 Saturday and maybe I can enjoy some sunshine.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Well, we got another 2-3" with this storm across the south. Schools closed again, parks & rec activities cancelled again, and roads covered. Another day that needs activities adjusted or rescheduled.

We may be making up classes into June!

Enjoy Maui! I'm surprised they even stock hot chocolate!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

LOL, Lois, I don't think even here in central FL anyone would call 64 "bone chililng"! I had to put gas in the car this morning...temp was supposedly 50 but it was damp and misty and sure felt colder than that!

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

We're close to Savannah, GA and of course the media has been in super hype about the winter storm. We were told to stay off the roads through Thursday and prepare for outages. School cancelled through Thursday too.

Thank goodness it wasn't as bad as predicted for us, still cold and some patches of ice.

After living through hurricanes all my life, I am glad for the media over hype - we have too many that simply will not pay attention to safety. I have a lot of military around and they think they are invincible lol!

Lois, enjoy your vacation - even rain in Maui is good lol!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Lois, I can see where 64 and rain would be a bit cool but, bone-chilling? Guess they've never been to MN, eh? LOL

SharonG/FL

• grandmamary_ga
    10 years ago

Well its Friday and our schools are closed today again. I don't know who is the most bored, the students, teachers, or parents. Our roads are mostly clear (freeways)but many subdivision streets are still poor. Not many but still dangerous for buses to travel. My hubby ran to the store yesterday afternoon and he said that in front of the Target store near our home the sun could not reach the entrance to the store and it was icy and snow covered. Today we will have a temp in the 50's so snow and ice should be gone. I would rather be in Maui. What a beautiful peaceful quiet, relaxing place it is. Enjoy your time there. Wish I was with you.
    Happy quilting,
    Mary

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

You're on Maui and I'm in Minneapolis! If you were here I would have asked you to show me a couple of your favorite quilt shops today. But be glad you are there because it's -11 this morning.

Kate

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Kate, you know no normal person would go from FL to MN in January! LOL It must be a work thing.

I've chuckled for years b/c Mark's sister & BIL moved from Orlando to Minneapolis in January. Fortunately they are still there! :)

Donna

• loisflan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kate, I can't believe you're in Minneapolis and I'm not. Bummer. I would have loved to have met you. Please let me know if you (or any one else) is ever in town. It was so much fun meeting Sharon when she was here. Was it only last year, Sharon?

Totally off topic, but I met a guy who is staying at our complex who was born not only on my birthday, same year too, but at the same hospital in Oak Park, Ilinois, six hours after I was. We were probably in the same nursery together. My husband was joking that we were roommates when we were young.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

I love the rain, but not the cold. Maui sounds great! I hope you have a nice time, and maybe the sun will shine tommorow.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Lois, I think it was 2012 when we met.....I didn't do much traveling last year. Now that my sister lives in the Chicago area, I'm glad we were able to get together when we did. It was a pleasure meeting you!

That is really weird about your 'roommate' in the nursery! lol

SharonG/FL

• loisflan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're right, Sharon, it was 2012. I keep forgetting that it's 2014 already. Another rainy day here. I wish we could send some of this precipitation to California and the rest of the drought-stricken states. Very weird winter everywhere, I guess.