Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOTTO 2014 - January

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 22:47

Welcome to the Quilt Forum Lotto!
The lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. It's good practice and the winner will appreciate your efforts! Typically, the winner receives enough blocks to complete a nice size quilt. It could be YOU!

We're going to start this year with a classic black/white theme, using The Anvil block from Quilters Cache (the link is below). Be sure you look at the one called "The Anvil" and NOT "Anvil" or "Anvil 2". Each block you make will require two fabrics; one dark and one light, but both black & white. Since there are so many black/white fabrics with a little bit of red in the print, it's OK to use those as well. This will give the winner an opportunity to add a red border or binding, if they choose. The Anvil is a simple block but it makes a great secondary pattern and results in a great quilt!

Here are the details:
- Each month there will be a designated block or theme; you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks.
- All blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation.
- Please include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)
- If possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block. This is not a requirement, just a request.
- All blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing, unless you request that your name not be entered. Some months you might want to participate, but don't really want to win the blocks. That's OK.
- You have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in.

Mail your block(s) to Valarie [littlehelen]. She will manage the collection of blocks and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her a message at littlehelen at comcast dot net.

The Anvil block pattern at Quilters Cache

Each month, littlehelen or I will post pictures of 3 completed blocks so you can see the pattern and colors. It's our plan to decide on the year's blocks soon, get samples made, and post them all for those who like to work ahead.

Thank you for your support and for your participation!

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOTTO 2014 - January

Here's an image from Quilters Cache. This shows the overall pattern made when the blocks are put together.
 photo Cropper169_zpsae24cc03.jpg

Three completed blocks:

photo photo_zps10871c7a.jpg

photo photo_zps07188f44.jpg

Kate

o

very nice choice!

o

I think I will do these,,,Ill make 3...Havent done these for a long time!!!

o

It will be great to have you involved again, Caroline! Thanks!

o

Count me in for three. I have to buy more fabric for DD's depression quilt, so I can pick up fabric for these, too.

o

For those of you who are planning to purchase fabric, we are thinking that 3 or 4 of the lotto blocks will require some white or WOW and 3 or 4 will require a beige, off-white, or tan (your choice) fabric. A half yard of each should get you through all the lotto blocks of the year; maybe a 1/3 yard. We'll probably have a block that works well with black or a tone-on-tone black and possibly a pale gray or silvery shade in one block. A fat quarter should suffice for the black and gray.

For the prints and colors, there's enough flexibility so you should be able to dig into your stash for whatever you need.

We hope to get the whole list of blocks posted next week so you can start planning.

(Please don't tell my boss that I've spend most of today looking at quilt blocks on line!!!)

o

Yay! Lotto's back! and this one looks like I can do it!

o

Tips for Beginners:

Like many quilt block patterns, this one includes Half Square Triangles (HSTs). You can cut triangles and sew them together along the long side, but because you are then sewing on the bias the fabric can stretch and distort if you aren't careful. To make it easier, you can use a spray starch to reduce stretching or you can use the method many of us use, sewing two squares together, then cutting them to form two HSTs. It's quicker and much more accurate than sewing along the bias cut edge. You'll cut the squares just a little larger than will be required for the finished square. For example, you'll cut the squares 3 7/8" if you want to end up with a 3 1/2" square. Trust me, this will make sense the first time you do it.

It will look like the picture below, but you can find detailed directions here: Half Square Triangle Directions

photo CropperCapture242_zpsd74be9ab.jpg

Because we want to encourage new comers to the forum and beginning quilters to participate in the Lotto, please don't hesitate to post Tips for Beginners each month if you've discovered a quicker or easier way to make the block.

Kate

o

Ok,,,please be honest,,,this is ALL the black and white I have in my stash,,,would this bve something you would use in a block? I like it but that doesnt mean everyone does!!! I will go with majority then if whoever wins doesnt like them,thats ok...

o

I love it....

o

Works for me. I think any print that's too childish is inappropriate, but there's lots of opportunity for an interesting variety of prints.

o

I, too, have some music themed fabric. Maybe I will ,pull that out.
Theresa

o

I think it's perfect, Caroline. Go for it.

o

I used music themed fabric in the block I made today. Hope to make one more.

Edited to add: Kate, Just wondering if there's a limit to using the same fabric for any of the lotto blocks....????

SharonG/FL

This post was edited by geezerfolks on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 21:16

o

Sharon, I'm not sure what you mean, but if you are asking if it's OK to use the same fabrics in all three blocks, then my opinion is 'yes!'.

o

Thanks, Kate, and yes, that was the question. Sorry it was confusing. And, was asking about every month, too.

Sharon

o

Let me say THANKS, and how much I appreciate those beginner's tips!!! TYVM!! In regard to the blocks this month: does it matter if the block is predominately the darker fabric? (a reverse of those blocks pictured) Or would it be better to keep the lighter one predominant?

o

Beth, if you look at the sample quilt that Kate posted, you will see that if you keep the lighter fabric predominate, the winner of the lotto will be able to develop what is called a "secondary pattern" with the blocks. A block with the reverse proportions would probably not "play" as well with the other blocks. So in my opinion, I think it would be better to keep the proportions as Kate suggested.

So glad you're participating in the lotto. Have fun.

o

So we begin another lotto year...here's my two blocks to start the year.

Anyone who needs my address for sending blocks, just send me an email via my page link on garden web and I'll reply asap!

Nice to see so many ready to participate this year...

Valarie

o

I agree with Lois - I think on this block switching the orientation will mess up the secondary pattern.

o

I have 2 completed but no picture. I never could figure out how to take a pic with my phone and have it end up here. :-/

Sharon

o

Here's mine. In the mail this week, Valarie.

o

ok...makes sense. a-shopping we will go.... Actually, I went by the Quilt Place yesterday, but there were sooooo many cars, I knew I'd be having an anxiety attack before I found the fabric!! LOL...just tooooo many people in there. It opens tomorrow at ten am...VERY few people in there on Monday morning that early, and I expect they still have some B & W for me!

o

Sharon,
If you want to post a picture, use your phone and then send the picture to my phone. I'll post it for you. But you don't have to because we know all your blocks are beautiful!

Kate

o

I love it! I'd never heard of this concept.
I think I'd like to participate if it's open to new people on this forum.

o

Thank you, Kate.

Welcome, Marji. Waving from Florida.

SharonG/FL

o

Marji, you are very welcome to join in! We love new members to the forum and new participants to the lotto. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I just posted an overview of the lotto for the year - you might want to check that out too.

Welcome!
Kate

o

Love these...hope to get some done! Love the little splash of red suggestion too.
Linda S.

o

And here are mine. One has more than a "splash" of red. Some of these fabrics are from the Bento Box Lotto from last year.
And if I can add a comment about using the same fabrics in all blocks, as a winner last year, I found it interesting to see all the different fabrics that are out there. No problem with them being all the same though.
Theresa

o

Wow, I love the fabrics you all are using! The musical prints are great and so are the dragonflys. And Theresa's 'fireworks' print is the perfect splash of red!

o

Love all these blocks! We are out of town until the end of February so won't be able to make any of these. May have to think about this for making on my own when I get home.
This will make a beautiful quilt!
Sue

o

Wow...only the 12th of January and there is freshly washed, pressed and READY fabric on my dining room table. (oh, that's my 'workspace'!). Now to print the pattern and get to work. Usually I'm the caboose - working like a maniac on the 29th day of the month!! Y'all have some beeeeaUtiful blocks done!

o

I did 3 blocks for lotto----now on to ripping out some of my part 5 Bonnie hunter mistakes!

o

I have 3 blocks ready to mail! (These snow days have been good to me!)

o

Mine went in the mail on Mon. Should be there by the end of the month. (Canada Post is not the speediest service).
Theresa

o

Taa DA! Finished...will post tomorrow or Monday. Is $1 per block still able to cover shipping and handling, or should we up that just a tad to cover inflation??

These blocks are all so pretty!! It'll be one gorgeous quilt!

o

Hi everyone...
So glad so many are participating in the lotto! Once all the blocks arrive and just before the drawing, I will again post a pic of all of the blocks laid out ...
V.

o

Someone tell me where to mail my blocks....I used the e mail address provided but it keeps bouncingback as invalid

o

Hi All,

A $1.00 a package no matter how many blocks you send is fine. It balances out in the end.

Caroline: send email to (spelled out) littlehelen at comcast dot net OR littlehelen@comcast.net.

Valarie

o

Love the choice of colours and block for January lotto. I'vwe been away so didn't see the post early enough to be involved in January lotto. (would take 12 days to reach US) so I will join in from Feb. thanks for outlining all the months. I will try to send multiple months together.
Kristene

o

since i can't sew right now, linda offered to sew the blocks i had cut out. i mailed them to her this week. hopefully i gave her enough time to make them. don't put my name in the drawing though. it is going to be a beautiful quilt.

o

mine finally went in the mail today...

o

Valarie, I mailed 2 blocks off to you today. At least I think I did. I was also mailing to a Valerie out west, so hope I got the right blocks in the right envelopes. lol

SharonG/FL

o

Mailed 3 blocks to Val today, as well.

o

Thank you ALL for a great start to the 2014 lotto! These blocks will become a lovely, dramatic quilt. Can't wait to see who becomes our 1st lucky winner this weekend!

Kate

o

Valarie, My blocks made it to Oregon yesterday and they were mailed the same day I mailed to you, so they should be there by today, I would think. At least I hope so. :-) Also, don't put my name in for the drawing, I might win and I'm trying to downsize. :-) It's like buying fabric.....No matter how much I want to, I need to use what's in all those bins, not buy more unless it's absolutely necessary.

SharonG/FL

o

So sorry I didnt get mine done,,,I havent done them for so long I totally forgot! Good luck to all of you!

o

Hi Everyone,
I going to delay the drawing until all show up in the mail, waiting on Beth7happy and Caroline1947. I think the weather in the South has interrupted mail deliveries...suspect all will show up early next week...will draw for a winner then!
While we wait for the post office...here's a tease....

o

Terrific!! Except that one in the top right! That one isn't playing nice with the others and it's driving me crazy to look at it! (I know..my OCD coming through) Please tell that one to behave!

o

congrats...you found it...laid that out just for you! ;-)

o

You are NOT funny!!!!!!!!

o

While we're waiting on the US Postal Service, I posted the February Lotto info: "Ribbon Quilt Block". And don't forget about the 1st Quarter paper piece lotto, too.

Val, thanks for laying out all the blocks! They look wonderful!

Kate

o

Y'all feel free to run the lotto without my blocks; you could always send them along later?? Today I found my postal receipt and says that they were scheduled for delivery on January 31, so they must have decided to take a trip to maybe California first....or maybe they went to Seattle to celebrate wid da boys. Anyway, I hope they show up somewhere, sometime...meanwhile...charge on, folks!!

o

Kate~ They all look wonderful, except that top right one!!!

o

i just received an email from linda that she just received the blocks i had cut out today. it is terrible that it took that long when she is only one state away. she is piecing them tonight. hopefully they won't take long to make the next leg of their journey.

o

I finished Bev2009's blocks tonight. I need the mailing address and will try to mail them tomorrow. We are supposed to get about 8 1/2 inches of snow late Tuesday through Wednesday. I would like to get them to the post office before that starts.
Linda OH

o

i emailed the address last night. thank you, linda!

o

Hi, I'm sorry, there was too much snow Monday night, too much clearing out snow after work...ugh......will get to the Lotto Drawing tonight ... stay tuned!!
Valarie
will winter ever end ?

o

"will winter never end?"

photo palmtreeshadow_zps1cd6e508.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't help it!

o

Valarie, I mailed Bev2009's blocks this morning. In the rush to get them mailed, I forgot to put her name on them. There are 3 blocks.
Linda OH

o

Greetings...No mail delivery of blocks today...Beth...I'm sure the USPS will eventually deliver your blocks to my outpost. The suspense builds...who will be the winner of the January 2014 lotto???? Bev's blocks are due ...I expect they will show when Beth's blocks show up!

If no one minds...I'll wait till Saturday 2/7 to do the drawing...hopefully the warmer weather due to arrive Thu./Fri in the mid-Atlantic will encourage full mail delivery!

btw: K8: Yes, you could have helped it...aargghh!!!

o

Oh Kate, how cruel! LOL!
Theresa

o

I just received a text message from Val by phone: an ice storm has knocked out their power for the day and it's not expected to be back in service until 5pm today or later. No sewing, no internet... not fun!

o

I'm back...finally got power, but no good mail today...meaning no blocks delivered by USPS...until Saturday.
V.

o

GREETINGS...
Well the good news is Beth7happy and Bev2009 blocks have arrived!
Who's ever on line...please randomly select a number between 1 and 12, inclusive!.

There are more than 12 blocks, but a 4 quilters declined from participation citing too many projects already..soooo...let's pick our first winner for 2014...

V.

o

Theresa here!

Let's go with 7

Good luck

o

And the winner ....just back from the tropics, is

LoisF.!!!!!

o

wooHooo...Congrats, Lois! this is a beautiful group!!!

o

YAY!!!!! Just the prize you need to come home too!!!!! Congratulations!!

o

Wow, Lois, you won a swimsuit contest, too??!! You go girl!!! ConGratz on your lotto win!! Yahooooooo....

SharonG/FL

o

And congrats from here too. Would love to see it put together.
Theresa

o

Wow, I just came on line to see what was happening and I found out that I won! That is so cool. They are a wonderful bunch of blocks. I was thinking last week what I would do with them if I won. Any suggestions would be great. Colored sashing? But maybe that would take away from a secondary pattern. Help, help.

Since I was the beneficiary of all your work, I think I will donate the quilt to our yacht club's annual silent auction this November. The funds are used to teach sailing skills to kids, women and the handicapped. Learning to sail is such an empowering thing. It really opened pathways in my life, and the proceeds of the quilt auction will do the same for others.

Thank you all very much. And Val and Sharon, I would kill for those legs.

o

Congrats! And love the photo Littlehelen. Is it you?
LindaB/CA

o

Linda..you are too funny....is that me? Well if I grew another 6", have intense Botox treatments,go blonde, dropped 40 years, grew some Boobies...yeah...that's me alright :-)

Have fun Lois...like your idea of the donation for silent auction...can't wait to see the final product!

V.

This post was edited by littlehelen on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 13:38

o

Congrats! You will have a beautiful quilt.
Linda OH

o

Lois....a super idea for your yacht club auction!!! and, jmho, I think I'd stay with the B & W theme - but...that's just my taste! Colored pillows could always be tossed on a bed afterwards! (just tossing my opinion cuz you asked!!! LOL)

o

Congrats Lois!!! I like your donation quilt idea very much. I don't think I would use any sashing but I might use a tiny inside border of red before adding a wider border or binding with the b/w theme. I'm sure anything you do with it will be wonderful!

(Val - thanks for posting a picture of all the blocks. And I love the winner picture!)

Kate

o

you go girl! like the donation idea. how about some blue in the border for sea and sky!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here