Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO 2014 - January

K8Orlando
10 years ago

Welcome to the Quilt Forum Lotto!
The lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. It's good practice and the winner will appreciate your efforts! Typically, the winner receives enough blocks to complete a nice size quilt. It could be YOU!

We're going to start this year with a classic black/white theme, using The Anvil block from Quilters Cache (the link is below). Be sure you look at the one called "The Anvil" and NOT "Anvil" or "Anvil 2". Each block you make will require two fabrics; one dark and one light, but both black & white. Since there are so many black/white fabrics with a little bit of red in the print, it's OK to use those as well. This will give the winner an opportunity to add a red border or binding, if they choose. The Anvil is a simple block but it makes a great secondary pattern and results in a great quilt!

Here are the details:
- Each month there will be a designated block or theme; you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks.
- All blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation.
- Please include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)
- If possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block. This is not a requirement, just a request.
- All blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing, unless you request that your name not be entered. Some months you might want to participate, but don't really want to win the blocks. That's OK.
- You have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in.

Mail your block(s) to Valarie [littlehelen]. She will manage the collection of blocks and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her a message at littlehelen at comcast dot net.

The Anvil block pattern at Quilters Cache

Each month, littlehelen or I will post pictures of 3 completed blocks so you can see the pattern and colors. It's our plan to decide on the year's blocks soon, get samples made, and post them all for those who like to work ahead.

Thank you for your support and for your participation!

Kate

Comments (78)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

And here are mine. One has more than a "splash" of red. Some of these fabrics are from the Bento Box Lotto from last year.
    And if I can add a comment about using the same fabrics in all blocks, as a winner last year, I found it interesting to see all the different fabrics that are out there. No problem with them being all the same though.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, I love the fabrics you all are using! The musical prints are great and so are the dragonflys. And Theresa's 'fireworks' print is the perfect splash of red!

• polardream
    10 years ago

Love all these blocks! We are out of town until the end of February so won't be able to make any of these. May have to think about this for making on my own when I get home.
    This will make a beautiful quilt!
    Sue

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Wow...only the 12th of January and there is freshly washed, pressed and READY fabric on my dining room table. (oh, that's my 'workspace'!). Now to print the pattern and get to work. Usually I'm the caboose - working like a maniac on the 29th day of the month!! Y'all have some beeeeaUtiful blocks done!

• redmary
    10 years ago

I did 3 blocks for lotto----now on to ripping out some of my part 5 Bonnie hunter mistakes!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I have 3 blocks ready to mail! (These snow days have been good to me!)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Mine went in the mail on Mon. Should be there by the end of the month. (Canada Post is not the speediest service).
    Theresa

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Taa DA! Finished...will post tomorrow or Monday. Is $1 per block still able to cover shipping and handling, or should we up that just a tad to cover inflation??

These blocks are all so pretty!! It'll be one gorgeous quilt!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Hi everyone...
    So glad so many are participating in the lotto! Once all the blocks arrive and just before the drawing, I will again post a pic of all of the blocks laid out ...
    V.

• caroline1947
    10 years ago

Someone tell me where to mail my blocks....I used the e mail address provided but it keeps bouncingback as invalid

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Hi All,

A $1.00 a package no matter how many blocks you send is fine. It balances out in the end.

Caroline: send email to (spelled out) littlehelen at comcast dot net OR littlehelen@comcast.net.

Valarie

• Kristene Smith
    10 years ago

Love the choice of colours and block for January lotto. I'vwe been away so didn't see the post early enough to be involved in January lotto. (would take 12 days to reach US) so I will join in from Feb. thanks for outlining all the months. I will try to send multiple months together.
    Kristene

• bev2009
    10 years ago

since i can't sew right now, linda offered to sew the blocks i had cut out. i mailed them to her this week. hopefully i gave her enough time to make them. don't put my name in the drawing though. it is going to be a beautiful quilt.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

mine finally went in the mail today...

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Valarie, I mailed 2 blocks off to you today. At least I think I did. I was also mailing to a Valerie out west, so hope I got the right blocks in the right envelopes. lol

SharonG/FL

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Mailed 3 blocks to Val today, as well.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you ALL for a great start to the 2014 lotto! These blocks will become a lovely, dramatic quilt. Can't wait to see who becomes our 1st lucky winner this weekend!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Valarie, My blocks made it to Oregon yesterday and they were mailed the same day I mailed to you, so they should be there by today, I would think. At least I hope so. :-) Also, don't put my name in for the drawing, I might win and I'm trying to downsize. :-) It's like buying fabric.....No matter how much I want to, I need to use what's in all those bins, not buy more unless it's absolutely necessary.

SharonG/FL

• caroline1947
    10 years ago

So sorry I didnt get mine done,,,I havent done them for so long I totally forgot! Good luck to all of you!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I going to delay the drawing until all show up in the mail, waiting on Beth7happy and Caroline1947. I think the weather in the South has interrupted mail deliveries...suspect all will show up early next week...will draw for a winner then!
    While we wait for the post office...here's a tease....

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Terrific!! Except that one in the top right! That one isn't playing nice with the others and it's driving me crazy to look at it! (I know..my OCD coming through) Please tell that one to behave!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

congrats...you found it...laid that out just for you! ;-)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

You are NOT funny!!!!!!!!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

While we're waiting on the US Postal Service, I posted the February Lotto info: "Ribbon Quilt Block". And don't forget about the 1st Quarter paper piece lotto, too.

Val, thanks for laying out all the blocks! They look wonderful!

Kate

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Y'all feel free to run the lotto without my blocks; you could always send them along later?? Today I found my postal receipt and says that they were scheduled for delivery on January 31, so they must have decided to take a trip to maybe California first....or maybe they went to Seattle to celebrate wid da boys. Anyway, I hope they show up somewhere, sometime...meanwhile...charge on, folks!!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Kate~ They all look wonderful, except that top right one!!!

• bev2009
    10 years ago

i just received an email from linda that she just received the blocks i had cut out today. it is terrible that it took that long when she is only one state away. she is piecing them tonight. hopefully they won't take long to make the next leg of their journey.

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I finished Bev2009's blocks tonight. I need the mailing address and will try to mail them tomorrow. We are supposed to get about 8 1/2 inches of snow late Tuesday through Wednesday. I would like to get them to the post office before that starts.
    Linda OH

• bev2009
    10 years ago

i emailed the address last night. thank you, linda!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Hi, I'm sorry, there was too much snow Monday night, too much clearing out snow after work...ugh......will get to the Lotto Drawing tonight ... stay tuned!!
    Valarie
    will winter ever end ?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"will winter never end?"

Sorry, I couldn't help it!

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

Valarie, I mailed Bev2009's blocks this morning. In the rush to get them mailed, I forgot to put her name on them. There are 3 blocks.
    Linda OH

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Greetings...No mail delivery of blocks today...Beth...I'm sure the USPS will eventually deliver your blocks to my outpost. The suspense builds...who will be the winner of the January 2014 lotto???? Bev's blocks are due ...I expect they will show when Beth's blocks show up!

If no one minds...I'll wait till Saturday 2/7 to do the drawing...hopefully the warmer weather due to arrive Thu./Fri in the mid-Atlantic will encourage full mail delivery!

btw: K8: Yes, you could have helped it...aargghh!!!

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Oh Kate, how cruel! LOL!
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just received a text message from Val by phone: an ice storm has knocked out their power for the day and it's not expected to be back in service until 5pm today or later. No sewing, no internet... not fun!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I'm back...finally got power, but no good mail today...meaning no blocks delivered by USPS...until Saturday.
    V.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

GREETINGS...
    Well the good news is Beth7happy and Bev2009 blocks have arrived!
    Who's ever on line...please randomly select a number between 1 and 12, inclusive!.

There are more than 12 blocks, but a 4 quilters declined from participation citing too many projects already..soooo...let's pick our first winner for 2014...

V.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Theresa here!

Let's go with 7

Good luck

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

And the winner ....just back from the tropics, is

LoisF.!!!!!

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

wooHooo...Congrats, Lois! this is a beautiful group!!!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

YAY!!!!! Just the prize you need to come home too!!!!! Congratulations!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Wow, Lois, you won a swimsuit contest, too??!! You go girl!!! ConGratz on your lotto win!! Yahooooooo....

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    10 years ago

And congrats from here too. Would love to see it put together.
    Theresa

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Wow, I just came on line to see what was happening and I found out that I won! That is so cool. They are a wonderful bunch of blocks. I was thinking last week what I would do with them if I won. Any suggestions would be great. Colored sashing? But maybe that would take away from a secondary pattern. Help, help.

Since I was the beneficiary of all your work, I think I will donate the quilt to our yacht club's annual silent auction this November. The funds are used to teach sailing skills to kids, women and the handicapped. Learning to sail is such an empowering thing. It really opened pathways in my life, and the proceeds of the quilt auction will do the same for others.

Thank you all very much. And Val and Sharon, I would kill for those legs.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Congrats! And love the photo Littlehelen. Is it you?
    LindaB/CA

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Linda..you are too funny....is that me? Well if I grew another 6", have intense Botox treatments,go blonde, dropped 40 years, grew some Boobies...yeah...that's me alright :-)

Have fun Lois...like your idea of the donation for silent auction...can't wait to see the final product!

V.

This post was edited by littlehelen on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 13:38

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

Congrats! You will have a beautiful quilt.
    Linda OH

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Lois....a super idea for your yacht club auction!!! and, jmho, I think I'd stay with the B & W theme - but...that's just my taste! Colored pillows could always be tossed on a bed afterwards! (just tossing my opinion cuz you asked!!! LOL)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Congrats Lois!!! I like your donation quilt idea very much. I don't think I would use any sashing but I might use a tiny inside border of red before adding a wider border or binding with the b/w theme. I'm sure anything you do with it will be wonderful!

(Val - thanks for posting a picture of all the blocks. And I love the winner picture!)

Kate

• bev2009
    10 years ago

you go girl! like the donation idea. how about some blue in the border for sea and sky!