Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT: Birmingham today.

Posted by grammyp (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 21:41

Hope this link works. Here are some pictures from central Alabama today.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: James Span Face Book page

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: Birmingham today.

Oh my!,,
Theresa

o

WOW! Try to stay safe and avoid driving!
Sue

o

It took DH 2 1/2 hours to pick up the grands from school and DD at her house and bring them to our house. Should have been a 20 minute trip. Youngest DD had to take the "creative" route home because roads were closed. A nice police officer moved cars out of the way and gave her a push to get her started. She made it to the bottom of the hill on our road and parked in a church parking lot. A neighbor with a 4WD gave her a lift home. DH made it to work, but won't be able to get home till tomorrow morning. They really missed this one. We are safe and warm, just hoping the heavy tree limbs don't knock any power lines down.

beverly

o

Those pictures are unbelievable!!

Keep everyone warm & safe!! And enjoy the snow some more!

o

I hope it all goes away soon. Stay safe.

o

Bev, this might be the time to post our Xmas Train's time-tested hot chocolate recipe - the best in the world! Fix this for the boys:

heat 1 quart water mixed with 1 quart half-n-half. Add 8oz Nestle Quik and stir. Don't let boil. We tried all sorts of combinations till we came up with this one, so popular we hand out recipe cards on the train all through the holiday season.

o

Glad you and your family are safe and warm. It really looks like a disaster. I feel for the people who were trapped overnight in their cars.

o

DH made it to work but had to spend the night. He made it home this morning but couldn't get to the house, so the car is about 1/2 mile down the road. Thousands of students were stuck at schools overnight because their parent's couldn't get them. Home Depot and several fitness centers stayed open for stranded motorists, Fresh Market Grocery and Chick Filet fixed snacks and drinks for those stuck in their cars, some hotels set up cots, most churches were open, and even individuals opened their homes. Individuals were driving up and down the roads with hot chocolate/coffee/water and sandwiches. I think Atlanta had it even worse than we did, but emergencies seem to bring out the best in some people.

The snow was very dry so it didn't cause many power outages, which is a good thing. Today it looks nice and snowy, but it is frozen and is a solid sheet of ice.

beverly

o

Yikes!! Better to stay home and enjoy some down time.

SharonG/FL

o

Linda, the hot chocolate is great with a bit of cinnamon added.

beverly

o

Sounds like ya'll had to deal with a lot more ice than we have had to deal with here in central Louisiana, granted south Louisiana had a lot of ice. We are expecting to have some ice from all the snow that is melting today that will refreeze in the morning. Schools are cancelled here Thursday. Stay safe and warm. Glad all your loved ones made it home safely.

Best to you and yours,
Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 17:21

o

i just watched the news. i hope everyone is safe and made it home

o

I am sorry for you, knowing that you have to deal with other bad weather eg. tornados etc.
There must be ice along with the snow and not enough equipment to deal with it. We are so used to snow and have good highway assistance that the little that appears in the pictures seems like nothing but I DO understand that it's far worse for you all. It isn't suppose to happen that far south! Stay warm and safe. God Bless

o

Ugh...40 degrees and raining here. Its been gray and dreary nearly all month, which is very unusual for Fl! Usually winter is sunny and dry, and if it gets cold it's only for a day or two. This has been a couple of weeks with lows in the 30s-40s and highs in 50s-60s. I know that's really mild compared to what most of you are dealing with, but it's unusual for here, and is probably hurting the tourism industry, not to mention keeping my hubby from working (pressure cleaning).

Donna

o

Aren't you glad this is a once in a generation occurrence?
I am glad everyone made it home safe - your "Southern Hospitality" brought out the kindness in people. The pictures were scary.

o

Oh my goodness what terrible pictures! I feel so bad for all those people stuck with no way to get home. Oh and the wrecks and straightening out that mess will tense up those people's lives for weeks. It just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

o

Are things any better today, Beverly? Another AL quilter lost power today....came back on long enough to make her coffee and went off again. Hope you're warm and enjoying hot chocolate.

SharonG/FL

o

Wow, having snow in Alabama seems so unreal to me. I was there with Beverly in Oct 2012 - I thought it didn't snow down south. Keep warm and enjoy your indoor activities. So good to hear that people have been helping those stuck in the snow. Wish this kindness could continue every day throughout the year.

Kristene

o

When I was watching the news and motorist stranded overnight, some for 11+ hours, I don't know how they managed to stay warm even with a coat on.

Also, some interviewed in Atlanta were on their way to the airport, where did they think they were going? Too many people out that should have stayed home, or wherever they were.

I remember having to sleep on the floors at AT&T when we had hurricanes. Anyone without small children were threatened with firing if they didn't come in and then they locked the doors. In their defense, we had so much food I gained weight lol!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here