Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

It started with the rug...

K8Orlando
10 years ago

So, it sort of started with the rug. Although you could say it started with Christmas, or rather, taking down the Christmas decorations. Or maybe it even started with the little jelly roll.

After taking down the Holiday decorations on the front door, I felt like it looked plain and kind of sad. So when I saw the cheerful aqua and white indoor/outdoor rug at Target on Thursday I bought it. It didn't seem like quite enough so I took one of the pool noodles, duct taped it into a circle, covered it with fabric and hung that up on the door. Closer, but still not enough. Of course what I thought it needed was a new wall hanging to match the rug!

I stared at my stash and there was the 1/2 jelly roll I bought on sale at Joann's about 2 years ago for just $7: aqua, white, brown and orange. Perfect!

I made some simple squares but it was a bit boring so I cut them a little wonky and added some white and gray borders, inspired by those modern quilts I've been looking at lately.

It went together quickly yesterday and the design left lots of small spaces for free motion quilting, so I used a different quilting pattern in each fabric. I've never been able to master feathers, but these came out pretty good! I finished the quilting and the binding today.

So it all started with the rug, but then I found a use for fabric bought a long time ago, used the ideas of quilts I've looked at recently, practiced some free motion quilting... and ended up with something I really like!

Christmas is over but my front door is once again welcoming and cheerful. I have lots of bigger projects I could have been working on, but it was fun to start and finish something so quickly.

Kate

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County