Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Special LOTTO - Paper Piecing

K8Orlando
10 years ago

Paper Piecing Lotto
1st Quarter 2014

Along with the regular monthly Lotto, we are going to have one block each quarter for those who want to try something special. As with the regular Lotto, you can make 1, 2 or 3 blocks. Mail them to littlehelen by the end of the quarter along with $1 to cover mailing the blocks to the winner.

If you have questions, post them below or refer to the 2014 Lotto at a Glance post for general lotto instructions.

1st Quarter - due 3/31 - paper pieced 6" Heart in 1930's reproduction fabric scrappy. This is a very basic paper piece pattern and a great way to give this method a try if you haven't done one before. There are other free patterns available but let's stick to this one so we know they'll all fit together.

Link to Candy Box Heart paper piece block

Here are a couple pictures of blocks that littlehelen and I have made.

Comments (46)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Kate,
    These little hearts were a great choice for PP. Fun to make, like enjoying little bits of candy,and I love the end result !
    V.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I assume a WOW background there?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for asking, Bev! Yes, White on White background.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Is that 6" finished? My printer is printing it out to be 5 3/4" finished.
    Have to play with the printer settings.
    Theresa

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Fixed i!!!
    Theresa

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I have 3 ready to mail!!

Getting back in the groove! Thanks for the push!~

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Those are cute Jen. I printed out the patterns, just have to dig out some fabrics.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adorable! I just love this pattern. I can see so many ways to put the blocks together.

• redmary
    10 years ago

I think I got the hang of this. Sort of addicting,

• redmary
    10 years ago

Here are my three....

• bev2009
    10 years ago

i'm so sorry i am going to miss these, they are all beautiful.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

hey, just noticed these aren't due until 3/31 and i should be back to quilting way before that. yeah!

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Question!
    I see that all the samples here have been trimmed to the edge of the print fabrics. The printout for the pattern has a 1/4 in. outside seam allowance.
    Does that mean that all the pieces go out to the dotted line? or do they finish at the solid line and I cut at the solid line?
    Thought I would start some today but just want to be sure I am doing it correctly. Paper piecing not one of my normal types of quilting. Confusing!!!!
    Theresa

This post was edited by nannykins on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 14:14

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Theresa, Trim at the outer dotted line.
    V.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Well I just pull out my hearts and compared them to Jenn and Mary's and they are too small...I thought the printer was set correctly, but obviously not...I'll try to redo...in the meantime I have three of the cutest, little hearts...LOL!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Val, those three will make a cute wallhanging if you stack them!

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Is anyone else having this trouble? When I print the block, it prints out as 5-3/8" wide and a little less than that, tall. So when I enlarge the width to exactly 6", the height is only 5-7/8".

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Lois, You are not alone...I've reprinted four times on two different printers...I'm having a hard time getting to 6" square as well. I keep getting 5 7/8" as well. From the few that have been sent to me, there is some minor variability, 1/8" or less. I would think some variance will be fine.

I should qualify that last sentence, I think it would be ok to have some variance if the winner does not match up all of the hearts in a traditional sense, perhaps a border around them, a staggered layout...etc. Normally the lotto participants submit all the same size blocks, but it seems a few of us may have some printer challenges....makes it all the more interesting...and these hearts are so darn cute and easy to make!

V.

This post was edited by littlehelen on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 7:18

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Take your ruler and extend a few outside lines on the pattern with a pencil and you can still make it come out right. Then the winner has blocks all the same size even if the heart itself is a 1/4" shorter than it should be. It just puts a little extra fabric to the outside. (Says she who hasn't even started hers yet!)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

when I click on the pattern link above, it opens it up. I then right click on the pattern and choose 'print image'. When my print window opens, I select 'preferences' and then the 'advanced' tab at the top. I turn scaling 'off', and then print.

My pattern comes out a hair under 6" not including the seam allowance (along the solid line).

Generally, when you paper piece, your fabric pieces should extend to (or past) the dotted line, then you trim on the dotted line when done, to square it all up. This leaves the seam allowance neat and tidy for joining blocks together.

Hope this helps someone out...

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Good idea, toolgranny. I'll add 1/16" on the top and on the bottom. Cute little hearts!

• nannykins
    10 years ago

At last!
    I don't know if I would want to do a whole quilt using PP, but then I haven't really done enough to be really comfortable with it. Give me time.
    For some reason, my picture is dark. Drat!
    Theresa

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Great job!!

The more pp you do, the easier/faster it gets. Sort of like brain training with FMQing.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those are beautiful and I love the Swiss dot WOW you used!

I agree that it gets easier the more you do. It's always awkward at first, especially if you haven't done it for a while, and the first piece takes a lot of thinking to get it right.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Here's my lonely little heart.

• polardream
    10 years ago

I have made 5 of these ... and got 2 that are going the right direction. I keep starting on the wrong side of the paper and have mirror image blocks! Yikes. ANYWAY - I will send 2. I don't think I can handle messing up another block!

Sue

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Sue, your hearts are adorable. I'm not sure what you mean by wrong direction, but these look great! Don't feel bad, the first ones I made were the wrong size and I didn't realize it until others sent me there correctly sized blocks....so I'm remaking! However, making the wrong size got me off on another tangent where I've now made 7 more hearts, all different sizes, from 1.5" up to 10" for a future random hearts quilt. Lemons to
    Lemonade as they say :-)
    V.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I think having some hearts the "wrong way' Would add a little variety to a finished project.
    Send them in anyway Sue. The winner will have fun working them in.
    Theresa

• polardream
    10 years ago

Valarie & Theresa - I ended up with 3 hearts with the "short" side of the heart on the right, not left. This paper piecing stuff confuses me, but I will send 2 and use the other 3 for something else.

Sue

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Here is our tree of hearts....Our first paper piece drawing for 2014 will be Monday night!

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Oh those are so pretty!!! I'm such a sucker for hearts, anyway....some day I'll learn to do paper piece, too!

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Don 't they look good!
    Theresa

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

very cool!!

• polardream
    10 years ago

Looking good!
    Sue

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, those are just beautiful! What a great quilt they'll make!

• redmary
    10 years ago

Really like these!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Ok it's time for the first drawing for our paper pieced hearts!!!! ...if you are on line..please select a number from 1 to 16....

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Number 11

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Beginners luck...number 11 is Patty H., first time lotto participant from Ocala FL...Congratulations Patty...we all look forward to seeing your heart creation!

Valarie

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

woooo hhhooooo my sister!!!! congrats!!

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Congratulations, Patty. Enjoy your hearts. And welcome to the Lotto.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Yeaaaaaa, Patty H. You aren't that far from me.

SharonG/Crystal River, FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty! Thanks for joining the lotto! What a nice beginning!

All these Florida quilters... we really need to arrange a gathering!

Kate

• polardream
    10 years ago

Patty, Congrats!!!
    Sue

• patty314
    10 years ago

Oh my stars and garters!!! I am thrilled to have won. I cannot wait to see all your hearts. I love that old saying!! You girls really know how to make one feel welcome. Thanks again.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

double post?!

V.

This post was edited by littlehelen on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 19:12

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!