Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

need advice on sashing color

vacuumfreak
11 years ago

I posted a few months ago about making a skull quilt for a friend and I was going to do a pieced skull head wall hanging, but there were so many little pieces that it just became tedious and I abandoned the project. I went to Joanns today and got a couple of fabrics and I'm just going to do a lap quilt with fairly big squares with these two fabrics... one square will be motorcycles and the other will be the skull head and roses fabric and I will just alternate back and forth... but I kind of like the idea of adding sashing even though I've never done it... I always have trouble deciding on colors, so if you all could give me some advice on what color sashing to use with these two fabrics, I'd really appreciate it. I didn't buy anything because I just didn't have a clue what to use. I know this might seem like an odd combination, but my friend is really eccentric and I know this will fit her personality perfectly....

Though this doesn't have anything to do with the post, while I was there, I got some awesome kitchen themed fabric and I'm going to make curtains for the kitchen... such fun! I got a rotary blade sharpener too, but the guy said I could bring it back if it didn't work... I asked because I'd never used one before and it was 20 dollars. If it save money on blades, it will pay for itself, but I'll have to try it first to find out... I'll let you know if I get any results out of it (or not)...

Comments (11)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I am seeing red for the sashing since it's in both fabrics and looks like the same shade in both.

Donna

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Definitely red sashing. Perfect choice.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I'm thinking red sashing with black cornerstones. Here's the first site I came to while searching for an appropriate pictures of sashing and cornerstones.

Here is a link that might be useful: sashing

• grammyp
    11 years ago

If you want a really bright quilt I would go with red. But a green may help tone it down a bit.

I have the blade sharpener and it works fairly well as long as the blade has no nicks in it. It won't be like a new one, but it will help.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

At first I thought red sashing but there's already a lot of red there and it seems like it might just blend in altogether. Then I thought green...but, depending on how funky you want it, you could audition a shade of gold like what's in the cycle.....yes to black cornerstones. Just lay some strips down next to your blocks and I think you'll know what color your friend would like best. Fun, fun, fun.......

SharonG/FL

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I think either the red or black.
    The kitchen fabric is so cute and retro...love it.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I agree with the red with black cornerstones. You could also do black with red cornerstones but depends on borders.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I'd like the idea of black and red for the sashing. Funky, fun fabric!

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I think red would work but my first choice would be the green with black or red corner stones.
    I think you have to audition the choices and see which one seem to work with the fabric and the size of the the blocks. It is surprising to see how different fabrics effect each other when laid out.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Bobby- I agree you need to cut your blocks and then audition some different colors. Try to fussy cut the bikes - that is where you position the motif within the block exactly where you want it to appear in the block. This will make a very funky quilt!

Love the kitchen fabric!

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions... I will audition colors and see what looks best. I did think about red, but I thought there was already so much of it in the fabric that I didn't want to go crazy with red and have it just blend in... but it may look great against the black... I am working on the curtains now because it is simpler and I'll likely have to buy fabric for the sashing. Cornerstones would look great, but for now, they are above my skill level.... I've never even done sashing before, so we will have to see how this turns out.

I thought about fussy cutting those motorcycles (but I didn't know that was what it was called)... I just knew I wanted to get at least one whole motorcycle in each block instead of chopped up bits and pieces of several... of course there will be some of that too, but I did want to use as many "whole motorcycles" as possbile...

I pre-washed the fabric as you all have previously suggested with some color catchers. The brown kitchen bled a little (onto the sheets), and the red in the skull fabric really bled... but the motorcycle fabric didn't bleed at all!

Thanks again :0)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!