Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Piece of Cake - Feb 12th - Kate (k8orlando)

K8Orlando
13 years ago

I know this is early to start this post but I had a question today by email from one of our Piece of Cakers. She wanted to know how to place the white-on-white fabric so I though if she had a question, others might too.

Hope these pictures help!

Kate

This is how the white and 1930s fabric are placed:

And here's a few blocks placed together:

Comments (44)

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting that, Kate. I printed out your block instructions yesterday and began wondering which way you want the block to look, so this answers it! Now I need to see what I have in 1930's looking fabric. If not enough, it might be a few days before I can drive somewhere to buy some. We are still waiting for our roads, parking lots, and driveways to melt after the snow and freezing rain of earlier this week. A little inconvenient, but it sure is pretty to look out the window and see snow!
    Have a good day.
    Jeanne

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If any of you in my group don't have a 1930s-type fabric, I'm OK with a polka dot as long as the colors aren't too saturated and the dots are white.

Kate

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

OR, anyone who doesn't have 30's - let me know & I'll send you some. If you specify a particular color you'd like to use, I can probably oblige. I have lots of 30's & would love to share! :) No charge, of course! - just one quilter helping out another:)

~Cindy

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy - that's very generous! Are they left over from a project or are you a "collector"? Once Bill got me hooked on 1930's I started to pick up fqs of them almost every time I shop. I recently heard them described as happy fabric and I have to agree with that. Sometimes they even make me laugh: I simply can't resist the ones with rabbits, ducks and kittens. This is definitely a throwback to my happy childhood in the happy 1950s.

"Duck and cover!"

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey! That just gave me a name for this quilt: Bunny, Duck & Cover!

{{!gwi}}

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Okay, ladies, you have me smiling! I found appropriate fabric for your block, Kate, and have the block completed. Maybe it's just me, but I am enjoying the exchange even more with this simpler blocks. I hope that's the case for everyone.

I'll mail your block soon, Kate. I love the name for the quilt!

Cindy, you are so thoughtful to offer to share some 1930's fabric with those in the group who need it. I don't know why, but there are certain fabrics that our local shops don't carry. Then I have to go online and order those. This isn't related to anything anyone in particular requested in the Birthday Block Exchange, just a general observation. For example, I used to love to use those blends of one color which had shading of light, medium, and dark and I can't find those locally any more. Oh, well, fabric trends change just like everything else.

Have fun, quilters!
    Jeanne

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Just bumping this post back to page one

Kristene (tinyteena)

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Kate,
    I mailed your birthday block today so it should be there by the end of the week. Sorry to be a bit early, but I have lots going on at the end of the month and knew that early was better than late!
    Jeanne

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for letting me know, Jeanne. I'll be watching for it.

This year I plan to try my hardest not to open any squishies until my birthday. Really. I'm serious. Stop laughing!

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got my 1st squishy today! So exciting!
    Thanks Jeanne!

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

K8,
    Your block from me is in the mail today!

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll be watching!
    Thanks for letting me know!
    Kate

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Just bumping this thread back to page 1

Kristene (tinyteena)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received Teresa's block today! Thank you!

This is so exciting!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received a package from Cindy (quiltpartner) today. That's 3 blocks and it isn't even February yet!

• User
    13 years ago

Kate, your block went into the mail this morning. Hope it doesn't slip on the ice on its way!

• lindaoh_gw
    13 years ago

Kate, I have your block finished and will get it in the mail as soon as we dig out of this blizzard. It is still blowing and snowing tonight. I am not planning on going to work tomorrow.
    Linda OH

• polardream
    13 years ago

Kate, I mailed your block this afternoon. Wishing you an early happy birthday!
    Sue/polardream

• lindaoh_gw
    13 years ago

Kate, we are finally able to get out and I will mail your block on my way to work in the morning. We couldn't get our back door open, it was blocked by snow. We could open the front door but there is a snowdrift about 2 feet deep just outside the door. This afternoon we had someone plow our driveway and he shoveled the snow away from the back door so I could pay him.
    Linda OH

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Hi Kate ~ I took your block to the post office today. It should be there in time for your birthday.
    I am anxious to see all your blocks together.

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    kate I have your block done and will have it in the mail next monday.
    I dont think it will make it for your birthday,
    sorry
    michelle

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, All!! I'll be watching for them.

Kate

• patti60
    13 years ago

i mailed your block hope you get it in time. i'm finally able to log in.

• dragonflyusc
    13 years ago

I made your block and will mail it tomorrow! This was my first time working with 1930's fabric. They're quite cute!

Andrea

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's not my birthday yet, but I have so many envelopes (unopened still!) I thought I would give you the update.

I have mail from:
    Cindy
    Teresa
    Jeanne
    Kay
    Sue
    Marsha
    Patti
    Linda

Michelle's and Andrea's are on the way!

Kate :~))

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello kate
    I will have your sent today, will be late for your birthday but not too much
    I waited to open all mine on my birthday too, it was a lot of fun
    michelle

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Michelle!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One more package today: Andrea's arrived!

Cindy
    Teresa
    Jeanne
    Kay
    Sue
    Marsha
    Patti
    Linda
    Andrea

• chickie1
    13 years ago

Hey mailed your block on Tuesday. You should be getting it soon.
    Darlene

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Darlene - I received it yesterday! Talk about fast delivery!!!

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday to you.
    Happy Birthday to you.
    Happy Birthday, dear Kate.
    Happy Birthday to you.

Happy birthday wishes are being sent your way from all of your friends in the Birthday Block Exchange. Enjoy your special day and be sure to have a piece of cake!

To honor you on this special day, you can be our Quilter of the Day!

Jeanne

• lindaoh_gw
    13 years ago

Happy birthday Kate!
    Linda OH

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I hope you are still snuggled in bed to begin your Birthday weekend. Have a great weekend.
    Happy Birthday!

• faintheart
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday, Kate! Have a wonderful day filled with lots of joy and wonderful surprises.

Dee

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What a fun day! I have opened all of the packages I've received from the Cakers and am thrilled with the fabrics and the beautiful quality of the sewing. Thank you all so much!

I'll try to get a picture posted later this weekend. You'll be surprised to see how many of them are blue, but you won't be surprised at how pretty they all are. It's a treasure trove!

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm still waiting on a couple blocks but thought it would be fun to post a picture of what I have received. This layout includes the 2011 birthday blocks (Buckeye Beauty), plus several blocks from my 2010 birthday blocks (London Square), along with a few blocks I've made myself.

I'll switch the colors around a little before I decide where they all go. I wasn't sure how to put these two patterns together but I like this layout a lot, using the London Square blocks as the border. There will be a 3" border between the set of Buckeye Beauty blocks and the London Square blocks but I haven't decided on the fabric for that yet. I have fabric to make several more Buckeye Beauties, too!

Here's a sketch of the plan.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Updated list of received blocks:
    Cindy
    Teresa
    Jeanne
    Kay
    Sue
    Marsha
    Patti
    Linda
    Andrea
    Darlene

Michelle, I know yours is on the way; I'll let you know when it arrives.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Love the blocks and the layout, K8! I would not have thought to use the other blocks for the border, but it looks gr8!

Teresa

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

I agree Kate. The two different blocks and colors blend in well. Fantastic use of the 2 years of birthday blocks to produce one large quilt.

Kristene (tinyteena)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! Last year I picked a very difficult block, although I didn't realize it at the time. That experience taught me to always make a block before I select it! Several of the member of my group last year struggled with it and some of the blocks ended up being a pretty weird size or shape. I felt badly about picking that one and was very glad I could incorporate the usable blocks in this quilt! The others I plan to use to make throw pillows for the bed.

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures. That is great how you can use the two blocks together. How imaginative!
    Enjoy Valentine's Day!

• dragonflyusc
    13 years ago

What an excellent idea to combine multiple years of blocks into one larger quilt. I'll have to keep that in mind if I manage to make it through 2 more years of birthday block exchange! They look lovely.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Those 2 blocks look great together - a wonderful idea.
    The London square is perfect as the border squares.
    Thanks for posting the picture.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have my block from macbeaner. Thanks, Virginia! Love the color!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations