Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

Silent Auction Quilt

grammyp
11 years ago

My youngest daughter is the coordinator for an interpreter's conference at Troy in March. One of the fundraisers is a silent auction. Last year she took one of my practice quilts and it was a hit. So she asked me to make another this year. I save all my triangles and HSTs, make pinwheels, and put them in a box in a box. I sorted them out, took all the ones with white background, made 7 large ones and put together this one. It was really quick since most of the pinwheels were already made. Still gotta get it quilted, but that should be the easy part.

beverly

Comments (21)

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

That's a fun quilt. I love pinwheels! Great job and TFS!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Love it!!

I do think it's funny that an ASL event would have a 'silent auction"!! LOL

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Fantastic. I too save my triangles and have all kinds of random sets from constructing more than needed or two at a time. What a wonderful way to put them to use.

Lucky daughter and lucky recipient!
    LindaB/CA

• lilypad22
    11 years ago

Thats pretty! The pinwheels really pop! How neat that you had so many pieces already made!

tish

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

PINWHEEL CORNERSTONES!?!?! They are perfect! This is a great quilt; it's both modern and classic.

Kate

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Very nice, Sharon! I hope it raises a lot of money. I agree with Jennifer about the irony of ASL having a silent auction. :).

So, was it a coincidence that all your pinwheels "spin" the same way? Or did you have a large enough collection to select those? Or do you always sew them the same way?

Donna

• grammyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. I love the silent auction thing, too. I'd love to attend one of their silent dinners, but would be totally lost.

Donna, I make a point to spin them all the same way. Just a bit OCD about some things.

I am going to outline the pinwheels and quilt the white area to make them pop. The backing is white with outlines of the hand alphabet. I'll post when I get it finished.

beverly
    beverly

• bev2009
    11 years ago

What a great quilt built from scraps. I hope they get a lot of money for it.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

That is a great quilt but expect nothing less from you. You always do just the right thing with your clever ideas.
    I hope it brings in lots of cash for the group. TFS

• polardream
    11 years ago

Love it, love it, love it! What a great idea for those leftover parts. I am sure it will be a big hit this year, as well.

I'm going to try to find my leftover parts & borrow your design for a charity quilt!

Sue

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Great quilt, Bev. Reminds me of one I've had in the drawer for ages. Now I'm inspired. Post it again when it's quilted. It should be a real hit.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Beverly, your pinwheel quilt is very charming. You did a wonderful job. Hope it sells for big bucks. Lois

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

What a happy quilt! You should name it and submit your original pattern arrangement to a magazine. It is so unique. Lots of times the patterns showing use of traditional blocks are far less interesting than this. The pinwheel pattern has been on my mental to-do list for a long time. You've inspired me to play around with sizes ands I'll certainly be saving this picture as well. Great job and great cause.

Linda

• day2day
    11 years ago

I,too,like pinwheels...always so cheery.(cheerful?).
    I like your layout.....the different sizes of pinwheels
    make it extra special. Great job.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• fran1523
    11 years ago

What a great idea to use up those HST's. I have a bunch tht would work for that. Pretty quilt Bev and the quilting will make it even better.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I love it! I love pinwheels! I hope it brings alot of money.
    You should quilt an easy sign somewhere on the front.
    I know you are very proud of your daughter.

And we are proud of your generosity too!

Great design!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

How cute and how clever!! This should do well at the auction.
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Great work Beverly!! You could name it Maverick Pinwheels after Bonnie Hunter's Maverick Stars. I also have a lot of HST and this is a perfect example of how they can be used!!

SharonG/FL

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Wow...wonderful...great that you could use up the blocks and result in a stunning quilt! Have fun quilting it!

It is just beautiful!
    Gwen

• bee0hio
    11 years ago

Oh, I love it! Beautiful! Hope to see it again once you've quilted it.

I like how you used the hangers to display it for the photo. Nifty!

• wendyfaye
    11 years ago

Nice! Upcycling at its finest. :)

Faye