Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babushka_cat_gw

Dilemma re: pre-washing fabric

babushka_cat
10 years ago

I am beginning work on one of my mom's UFO's that she left behind. It is a churn dash pattern, thought this would be relatively easy one to start with. The problem I have discovered is that it does not appear she pre-washed the fabric. There are about 20 blocks completed. The rest of the blocks need to be cut and sewn. Do I pre-wash the balance of the fabric but then what about the 20 blocks already sewn - will they shrink and mess up the quilt when I wash it? Do I distribute the 20 unwashed blocks throughout the top so when it is washed the shrinkage is distributed? Not sure what to do - help!

PS - Also a progress report. I signed up for a 3 hr intro class on how to use my bernina - can't wait!

Comments (12)

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Great idea about the class: no matter how much you think you know about your machine, in a class they can show you tricks and help you be comfortable with options you probably don't even know you have! I love my Juki but wish I had someone close by when I was first starting to use it.

On the fabric: I almost never pre-wash so for me it wouldn't be an issue. Since you have blocks made without washing, I would go ahead and do them all. Then wash with color-catcher in cool to warm water.

Kate

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Good advice from Kate. I agree.

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the speedy replies. much appreciated! Is there a particuar brand of color catcher you recommend and where do I purchase?

Pic below of sample quilt block. They are a variety of earth tones and patterns.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I use the one made by Shout and I buy it at the grocery store, Target or Walmart. I'm pretty sure it's just called Color Catcher but I'll look at the box tomorrow.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Yes, it's called 'Color Catcher' and comes in a red box about 4" x 6" x 1" usually found by the fabric softener sheets.

I 3rd Kate's suggestion. I'd make all the blocks as is, and then wash.

Have fun with the UFO!

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks so much, will add it to my shopping list!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Agree w/ all about the pre-washing...I did it for awhile, but have since stopped. I do pre-wash if I picked up the fabric at Joanne's, but otherwise, no and have not had an issue,

If I recall correctly, we have the same Bernina. There's lots to learn about your machine, but I'd also suggest you download the manual. The dealer wanted $35 for the manual, but it's free on line and it has come in handy on occasion. Enjoy!

V.

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks all! i found ANOTHER box of UFO's from my mom.... i thought i had gotten through them all. found another 3 beautiful quilts that need to be completed! these are more complex, partially completed with no instructions... UFO list up to 34 quilts now...here are pics of two of them:

re: bernina, i can't wait to take the intro class. i am using my old singer in the meantime - i do not even know how to thread the bernina yet! i did also find the manual but will hold off attempting anything with it until i get a bit of instruction.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Those are great quilts to finish! How Fun!

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Wow oh Wow! Again, what a heartwarming gift your Mom left you!
    Make sure you label all the quilts - I would make up some labels now and hand attach to each of the UFO's. You can't possibly get all 34 finished soon and your Mom's name and date needs to be on these UFO's. How big is the top one - a Stack n Whack or some version. She had a good eye for color & placement.

Re your Bernina, I suggest you read the manual and learn how to thread it and wind a bobbin and basic functions on your own, before you get your formal training -- even if it is just a straight stitch - start at the beginning of the manual, identify the parts and feet and get familiar with the machine. You will get soooooo much more out of the training, if you have learned a little about how to operate the Bernina. You have help here on specifics (not me) if you have a question. Remove the needle in the beginning if that makes you more comfortable.
    You know how to sew & sewing machines are pretty basic -- except for those fancy stitches and you are going to ignore that for now.

I love seeing the quilts your Mom left you. Thank you!

• bev2009
    10 years ago

what a legacy she left you. the quilts are beautiful. i wonder if she made the patterns up

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks all for your kind responses. her quilts mean the world to me and i am spending a lot of time going though each one, assessing level of completeness and have a spreadsheet ordered on what to focus on first, based on completion level. i might have to photograph more of them to show you - they are wonderful!

thanks also for the good suggestions!