Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

My Mystery Quilt (with pix)

dan_the_mailman
12 years ago

Today Planet Patchwork posted a mystery quilt called "Chips and Strips." I've never done on these, so I figured why not give it a try? Well, I'm hooked...lol. I've enjoyed cutting out the fabric and putting it together without knowing where it's going to end up. After all, if I don't like the end result, I can always go a step or two further and create something new out of it all, right?

PP posted the list of materials needed and how to cut the fabric a few weeks ago. Of course, I waited until the last minute and welcomed in the New Year watching a Twilight Zone marathon on SyFy and cutting fabric under the observation of my cat Stella. Here's a picture I took this morning of the results, being carefully guarded by Bump, my 4-year old...

Here's a picture of my sewing desk, where most of the magic happens. Most of my fabric-cutting happens on my kitchen table, which can be seen in the previous picture.

Bump decided to get some of the disappearing sun while I began to sew...

I was about halfway thru sewing together the strips when I ran out of thread. I searched everywhere for more, but I was out. So, what to do? I headed out for joann's of course! When I got to the store, I decided to take a glance thru the fabric section. I want to begin my first landscape quilt after this one is finished, so I looked for and found two shades of sand fabric, which will fill out my beach nicely. I also happened upon some fabric which looks like the makers peeled it off of a white birch tree, and since there weren't quite 3 yards left in the store, I took it all. Then I went over to get my thread, which I found out was 50% off. When I left the store with my $57 of savings, I'd wiped out their white quilting thread also, having bought all 18 of their 500-yard spools! After that, it was home for some lunch and more sewing!

The next step, putting the 9-patch blocks and the modified 9-patch blocks together seemed to take the longest time, including phone calls, lunch, dinner, and some playful cats, but I persevered!

Here, all the blocks are finished, and I'm printing off my new directions... (off camera, of course)

And here is what my sewing desk looks like now. I've got four rows of blocks put together (the mess in the left corner), and I'm calling it a day. I'll finish tomorrow. After all, I have the next two days off from work to play around!

I'll post more tomorrow...

Dan

Comments (26)

• jackier123
    12 years ago

Cool, I saved the instructions and plan to use the pattern for a couple of gift quilts this year.

Jackie

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

You ran out of thread? What a novel idea to use to have to go to the fabric store! Sounds like from what you bought, you won't be able to use that excuse again anytime soon. lol

I saw a picture of the finished pattern and it looks nice. Looking forward to seeing yours. I'm thinking fabric choice is a big factor in this one. Have fun on your days off.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Good work, Dan! Next year you'll be ready for Bonnie Hunter's December mystery quilt. Better stock up on thread!

Kate

• empress
    12 years ago

Hi, Dan. Nice progress. I participated as well, but I'm only about 3/4 of the way through part 3. Hopefully each part takes a little less time than the last... I started late yesterday, still had fabric to cut since I didn't have a jelly roll. My quilt will be quite scrappy, all from my stash.

This is my first mystery also, though I've watched some of the chatter at Planet Patchwork in past years.

Looking forward to more on your progress. Happy New Year everyone!

Valerie

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'M DONE!!! YAY FOR ME!!!

I got a late start this morning, but I did get the mystery quilt done, and I'm quite pleased with it. Here's a picture of it after finishing step 5, getting all those blocks put together...

and here's a picture of it after finishing step 6, with its borders...

Rather than leave it lap-quilt-sized, I'm going to be adding more borders until it is 90"x90". I'm stopping for today though. I'll post more pictures when the whole thing is done, binding and all!

Talk with you all later...
    Dan

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Wonderful job, Dan. You did a great job.

I have done several mysteries and have finally decided to finish one top and bind it. Mine aren't always lovely like yours. It's hard to pick colors for a mystery and only two turned out. But, they make great practice pieces on the quilt frame.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Great job, Dan! I like that the lightning bolt is prominent.

SharonG/FL

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the great comments everyone! In April I'm going to be hosting for the Seeds-n-Stitches group, and I'm going to host a mystery quilt I just designed. There will be panels, blocks, HSTs, applique, and I'll kick it off mid-March with instructions for fabrics needed and cutting instructions. (Can you tell I've gotten hooked on mystery quilts??? LOL) I'll post here on the quilting forum so that anyone interested can join in on it. I wish I'd run into this idea long ago, it's fun!
    Dan

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I am amaze that you can get some much accomplished is such a short time. I have never done a mystery quilt---not sure I could stand the suspense but it appears to be fun.
    Good job and good luck. TFS Jayne

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Wow, that turned out pretty well! Congratulations!

I'm afraid I will never do a mystery quilt. I like a plan, and I vastly prefer my plans to someone else's, LOL. This doesn't mean I don't deviate from, and change my plans, of course...

Still, I remain completely unwilling to commit fabric to something until I know what it will look like. I do follow along, though, and sometimes print out the patterns.

• empress
    12 years ago

That looks great, Dan. Congratulations!

I didn't quite finish mine today. I was watching my spool of thread while stitching the last two rows together, sure it was just enough thread to finish the row, and I didn't notice that the spool ran out less than 2" after I started the row.... LOL!! So I decided to call it a day.

I couldn't resist laying it out on the living room floor, though, with the borders and corner stones on the bottom and one side, just to see how it was going to look. I wasn't sure I could just go with an unplanned, scrappy quilt. I like it!

Good luck with your upcoming groups and mystery. Can't wait to see it.

Valerie

• day2day
    12 years ago

Great job,Dan.
    It was super nice to see the project as you made progress. I plan to take progress pics with my next quilt top.
    Of course that will have to wait until the tops I have now are quilted.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• day2day
    12 years ago

Valerie, I hope you post pics when your top is finished. It will be nice to see how the quilts differ although the pattern is the same.

~Geraldine

• empress
    12 years ago

Well, since the days off are done for a while, who knows how long it will take me to actually finish this. In the meantime, I laid it out with the fabrics for the borders and cornstones, just to get a sneak peek what it will look like.

Hope this works....
    {{!gwi}}From AvailabletoPublic

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Nice quilts!!! I liked this pattern and I saved it too! I have thried 3 mysteries starting from the top and I was dissappointed with all of them.

Sooooooooooo now I follow them and save them AFTER I see the finished quilt lol!!!!
    Rosa

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a picture of a pillow I whipped up for the current Seeds-n-Stitches swap. We were to each make a pillow with things we'd find in a garden incorporated into it, and leave the stuffing up to the recipient.

Dan

• empress
    12 years ago

Love the colors in that block, Dan. Have fun with the swaps!

• day2day
    12 years ago

Valerie, isn't it amazing how the same pattern can change with different colors.

To me, both yours and Dan's quilt look like steps through a pathway. The iridescent pathway is more evident in Dan's top while the pretty bright cobblestone steps are more evident in yours. Both are wonderful.

I hope you soon get it finished and quilted.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• sunny225_user_4dcd5328347
    12 years ago

I am STILL sewing on my mystery quilt! LOL
    I am so slow but having fun. This was a good one.
    Thanks for sharing yours.

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

What fun! I love a day of quilting (which I haven't had in a long time!). And, we enjoy the Twilight shows, but missed the marathon day since we were out skiing. Love the pillow, too.

Valerie, I'm loving yours, too. I agree with Geraldine, it's still amazes me how different fabric can make the same quilt design look so different.

Robbi

• nannykins
    12 years ago

My blocks are made and laid out on the dining room table. Hope to get them sewn together quickly.
    Theresa

• nannykins
    12 years ago

My version of the mystery. The large borders are white, they don't show up against the green wall. And the binding will be in the same burgundy as the inner border.
    The fabrics came from a Christmas gift of a long quarter. I just cut strips from the selection and added a couple of my own to get to 23. And the white I had in my stash as well as the burgundy.
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I think ya'lls quilts are really beautiful. And love your pillow case Dan! :-) I have never made a mystery quilt and not sure if that is for me as I like to plan everything out and know what the end product is going to be before I start.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Theresa, that's cool! I'm another one who likes how different color combinations do different things with the same pattern.

Sandra, you made me laugh! I know how you like to plan things out, so maybe a mystery quilt is just the thing for you! Don't forget, we'll be doing one in April with the S-n-S group. Speaking of which, have you thought about what we're doing in February?

• nannykins
    12 years ago

I have to say this wasn't really a "mystery" quilt. I printed off the directions on New Year's Day and then later picked fabrics etc. Mystery only in the name.
    I, too, like to know where I am going with pattern, colours etc. But it do go together quickly and easily.
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Yes Dan the mystery quilt aka "don't plan the whole project in advance quilt" will take me completely out of my comfort zone. So what size will the mystery quilt in April for the S-N-S be when finished, and will we get to keep what we make? How much fabric is this mystery quilt going to require - how many different types and how much yardage - LOL see I'm already planning?

I will post the rules / sign up thread for the February Seeds-N-Stitches Swap later in January - we will be swapping 4 floral print fabric quarters (18" x 21" and 18" x 22" will be acceptable sizes) and swap them with 1 partner. I am going to keep the February S-N-S Swap nice and simple as I have quilting to do, lots of quilting to do this year! Well off to measure fabric for the border on the baby quilt I am making. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida