Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehelen_gw

Question: table runner backing

littlehelen_gw
11 years ago

I was about to place some old table cloths into the goodwill bag, when I wonder... Why not use for the backing for table runners? The fabric is polyester, the type treated so spills don't soak. These have been laundered many times over the years and are useable.

Like to hear your thoughts...
Thanks,
V.

Comments (13)

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Why not! Sounds like a good use for them to me.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I would!! I don't like for my runners to be thick - I put batting in one I made for my hallway and I have to be careful what I set on it so it doesn't fall over.

You don't have that problem with thinner ones - so now I just use muslin for the backing - no batting. Polyester - treated - perfect to me lol!!!!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Recycle, recycle, recycle ,,,,,, sounds good to me!

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You've convinced me...I'll give it a try. Thanks so much!
    V.

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

I think that is a wonderful idea!
    Linda OH

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Sounds like a plan to me. Go for it.

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

fantastic idea....now I know what will be on the back of my next table runner or placemat.
    Thanks for sharing

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I agree-good idea. I would preshrink the fabrics for the top and use a very light poly batting if you are going to use any batting. This way, you should have no shrinkage since you are using the poly tablecloths for the backing.

The table cloths would make good placemats as well.
    Thanks!

• calliope
    11 years ago

I often use poly/cotton for backings. The only real contraindication is that is can be harder to hand-quilt, but it's not bad says me who has done it often. A machine cuts right through it like butter. It's also sometimes softer against baby skin if you are doing throws for kids- so many of my kid's quilts are backed in recycled bedsheets. It gives you such a great diverity in pattern and can be had in super-wide widths. Go for it.

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Never thought of placements...(duh), what a great idea! I think I'll try that with the other old table cloth.

I'm not a handquilter so that will not be an issue. I have saved a few old bedsheets thinking that would work for a backing...like the idea for kids or a pet quilt. (Two small dogs in the house and I need to make them their own quilt...they want to use the people quilts...go figure).

thanks all for the ideas!
    V.

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Whatever works,good way to use up odds and ends.

In my place mats and runners i only use pellon fleece,or a piece of thin cotton batting that has already been washed before.
    Kathi

PS,Hi everyone havn't been over here for awhile.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Great idea, Val! Very clever!

(Hi Kathi! I haven't posted for a while either. It's nice to come back and see so many quilting friends!)

Kate

• jaceysgranny
    11 years ago

I made a light quilt and used a price of a flannel sheet for batting and an old duvet cover for backing. I've used polyester too for backing.