Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanajayne

Disappearing 9 patch ?

nanajayne
13 years ago

I have a question for some of you who have made large disappearing nine patch quilt. I have made a sm. one but have no idea as to how much yardage one would need for a queen size one.

My sister likes the pattern for a quilt that I have promised to make her I would like to purchase some batiks but need an idea as to the amount and quanity of colors to make it work. Any ideas ladies?

Jayne

Comments (19)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Jayne, How many different fabrics do you plan to use? And what size 9 patch do you want to start with? Keeping in mind, the four corner fabrics will not be cut and the 4 middle squares on the sides will be sliced as will the center square. Will you be using the regular layout or something different?

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Found this site....maybe it will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tutorial with fabric amounts

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sharon,
    That was perfect. Just what I needed for a guide. Thanks. I knew someone in here had the answer.
    Thanks so much.
    Jayne

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

I prefer to use 4 different colors for the outside corners, and a different for the center. The the neutral (black or white) for the 4 inner blocks.

So you could divide up the quantity of fabric "A" into quarters.

ARRGH!! I sound incomprehensible even to myself!

I used strip sets of pink-white-yellow, white-orange-white, blue-white-green.

Slice and dice and reassemble like this...hopefully

Here is a link that might be useful:

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

The tutorial with fabric amounts was so helpful, I printed that out for the next time I make one.
    Thanks!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Glad to be of service in finding the site for you. I had kept the page up and was looking through another forum where someone was looking for the same thing. Wierd having it right on hand to post for them.

That's pretty, Mary! I like that you took the center fabric and used in the corners of the border and the other colors for the binding. Striking!

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the sm. one that I made but all the fabric was from my stash.

• nannykins
    13 years ago

Lovely!!!!!

• hohumhollow
    13 years ago

Nana,
    How many different original 9 patches did you make? Is it three? It's beautiful!

Jay

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jay, I am not sure I understand your ?. There were 4 12" blocks across and 5 down. Is that what you mean? Jayne

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Very nice! And I love that tutorial. I've book marked it for when I have time to start another project.

Robbi

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

This is my first bed size quilt. Also first sent out to long arm quilter; in this pic I'd just gotten it back & was thrilled (photo by Tahli de Courcy)!! I made it twin size & think I had 2-3 yds. of the background & maybe 1 yd. each of the different colored prints. Geez, I need to take better notes.

Can I ask how other folks keep track of yardage used to make how big a quilt, etc.?

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As most of mine are scrappy I don't think about the yardage as a general rule or I am following a prescribed pattern that lists the yardage. That is was my problem with the D9P. Your quilt is very nice, I like the colors. Wish I could see the pattern better. Jayne

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hey NanaJayne,

Do you mean me, that you wished to see it closer up?

If so:

I too have done several that are scrappy, done from sets of fat quarters, once I learned this pattern. So I also don't really think yardage when I do these.

For this one (the bed quilt for my Mom's 80th year) I consulted the ladies at my LQS who are mostly quite knowledgeable & experienced in things like this. I don't remember the yardage suggestions they made, then again, I'm sure I tried to err on the extra side on this one.

I will check out the yardage tute above at another time, thanks for adding it.

I'm really happy w/ this quilt, makes me beam w/ pride. If I ever work large again, I hope to collaborate w/ this long arm quilter again, he does magnificent work.

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the closer picture. It is great. I have the focus fabric and Iam using some of it in my Sylivia's Quilt.
    The way you used the pattern is different then the way that I did which is one of the charms of the patch I think.
    The tutorial that Sharon gave me is just what I need but still am agonizing over the color choices. Need to get together with my sister again.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Jayne, If you know the layout you want to use, get out the colored pencils and graph paper.....unless you have a computer program you can use. You can see how Mary's looks with those colors.....I really like it, but if your sister isn't a lover of brights, she might not.

SharonG/FL

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hey NanaJayne,

Thanks for the nice words. As to your color choices, can you show us the options you're looking at? The thing I did is make several different blocks, changing the placement of the colors to see different effects.

• dandblangfield_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I'm a beginning quilter. In the tutorial-can someone tell me what the numbers in the parentises mean? Cut fabric A 8 (12,20) strips 5' wide/ What's the 12 and 20?

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Those are the numbers you need to cut for each quilt size [ throw (twin, queen) ] listed in boxes across the top of the page.

So for a throw you'd need 8 strips, for a twin you'd need 12 strips and for a queen you'd need 20 strips of Fabric A

Hope that helps