Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polardreams

January Quilting/Sewing Goals

polardream
14 years ago

Everyone has been so busy already - I thought we should start a new thread for January!

8 sets of luggage tages (16 tags) - DONE & delivered

February & March birthday block

Recover dining room chairs - waiting for special order fabric to come in

Decide on pattern for graduation quilt - start getting fabrics together

Non-quilting: Get report cards done / Finish painting kitchen / decide on new light fixtures & end tables

Comments (34)

• toolgranny
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My goals are to keep up with a couple of other threads - a BOM applique BA type of some sort and the quarterly wallhanging project of Sharon's. Don't have either defined yet but am gathering fabrics and ideas. I also have a couple of baby quilt projects in the works, a bit undefined at the moment. I do tend to go off on tangents!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

Take 2 laps around the driveway daily
    Work on Sallys quilt
    Get caught up on Sew-Alongs and BOMs
    Make some crumb blocks (potholders for next xmas?)
    Wall Hanging Challenge (started this today)

SharonG/FL

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I've started out the month better than expected and WAY better than I normally do:
    * BonBonBOM BA block for January - done
    * Birthday Blocks for January (2) - done
    * January lotto blocks (3) - done
    * Wall Hanging Challenge - designed but no idea how to start yet
    * My own February birthday block - I want to make at least 3 this month, but I'll settle for 1
    * Quilt As You Go - I've just got to try this and want to get started this month, as soon as my fabric gets here!
    * Major shopping trip for batiks for my niece's wedding quilt. I've got to decide on a pattern too and haven't done that yet.

This should be a fun month!

Kate
    (Sharon, if you are going to take two laps around around the driveway daily, I'm going to commit to a 1/2 hour on the treadmill each night. Well.... maybe every other night.)

• lindaoh_gw
    14 years ago

Oh, where to start!!

Birthday blocks for January - Done and sent
    Table runner for January - strips cut
    'Jitterbug' quilt from jelly roll- cut and HST finished
    plan and make 50th anniversary quilt for friend -
    finish BOM from last year - center done
    pick up BOM from LQS- Thursday, weather permitting

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I am going to join listing what I would like to get done this month - maybe that will either force me to actually do it - or at least help me see the progress.

Before I can do anything - I need to get my Christmas Decorations put away!!! I need the space to work on the quilt tops.

1. Birthday Blocks for Jan-2 done and mailed.
    2. January Block Lotto
    3. BonBon Bom PP at least 1 - maybe 2
    4. Take a class for Heirloom machine applique (maybe use for my seasonal challenge)JAN 16TH
    5. I am hoping to take a class using decorative stitches - Pfaff dealer this Friday -if it isn't snowed out.
    6. Work on quilt top- Carolina Lily for MIL B'day for March- sew pinwheels on 2 sides.
    7. Finish quilt top for nephew - 2 rows left to sew on -almost done - Buy backing -
    8. Pin baste Stack n whack & quilt.
    9. Hand sew at least one row on the QAYG Sampler.
    10. Practice FM on the whole cloth from a class.
    11. Maybe make pillowcase for #7.

We'll see if this list helps me reach some of my goals.

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Get my frame & mid arm up and going. Gotta call Santa .....

• itsmesuzq
    14 years ago

I guess I'll jump in a put it in writing. I'm usually a very goal oriented person but since I retired 6 months ago I'm a bit more scattered. ~LOL~

1. BB (Birthday Block) for January - Done and mailed
    2. BB for February - 80% Done
    3. Seasonal Quarterly Project - picked out but will start this month
    4. Attend Quilt Show "Road to California" this month!! (Very excited)
    5. Continue with de-cluttering and downsizing house
    6. Prep and paint bathroom

I'm stopping. Since the first week of the month is ending I had better get my butt up to start doing some of these...

Susan

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

Susan you are so right about retiring!!!!!!!!! I WAS a very organized person, disciplined enough to take online classes.
    Retired and everything went somewhere in a hand basket LOL!!!!
    This is my year to get my house organized. Forget the sewing room LOL!
    You guys are making me look bad!
    1) sew binding on quilt.
    2) decide on project for Sharon's seasonal thingies.
    3) mock Cathedral Window denim quilt.
    4) start on a baby quilt for March birthday.
    5) decide on BOM and stick to it.
    I sound real decisive don't I LOL!!!
    Rosa

• salijo
    14 years ago

1. Finish sewing the top of my first project for the wallhanging challenge. I'm probably more than half finished with it.
    2. Get up enough nerve to try to FMQ the project. Probably do some practice pieces....when is this project due????
    3. Sew together 2-4 blocks each of 2 WIP quilts.
    4. Start planning my second wallhanging project.
    5. Take down my Christmas tree....maybe.

Salijo

• Carol_from_ny
    14 years ago

Start planning my William Morris type quilt. I recently got a quilt book that is inspiring me.

• vacuumfreak
    14 years ago

Finish what I start... I have 3 "projects" going on right now. The first is a pillow.... at work we have really hard stools and after sitting on them my behind starts hurting! The lady who sold me my vintage Brother machine gave me a good bit of scrap material with the machine. One of the things was some faux fur that is a tiger stripped design. There was just enough to fold it in half and sew a rectangular pillow that will fit on the stools perfectly. I sewed it a couple nights ago, though not without incident. I sewed half the pillow with no bobbin thread! There was really no excuse, as I was using the computerized machine with the clear bobbin cover, but I was concentrating on what I was pushing into the machine, not what was coming out of it! When I got it all sewed up, the top layer had bunched up and wasn't even with the bottom which remained flat (and I pinned it to death), so I have to rip it out and do it again. I wonder if I should use the walking foot or reduce the presser foot pressure when sewing such a material? I'm going to sew button holes through all the layers once I get it turned to create dimples so that the pillow is a little flatter and not too fluffy.

The next project is a present for the boyfriend. He's a free mason (whatever that is... his grandpa was one so he had to be too), so I wanted to free hand embroider the free mason logo onto a the center of a pillow. I printed the design onto some paper and have been sewing through the printed paper onto the material, using it as a stencil. Well, I started that back in October (that's when his birthday was), but didn't finish it in time. Then I thought it would be ready by Christmas, but that didn't happen. It takes a lot of practice to get it right, and none of my practice attempts have been good enough to put on the pillow yet. Looks like it will have to be an Easter present now, if there is such a thing :o). I'm going to try it on the antique machine and see if it's any easier than the new one... I think the old ones run a little more smoothly.

The third thing I need to work on is what may end up as my first quilt. When I was 19 (26 now, so it's been a while) and sold sewing machines at Sears I wanted to make a quilt so I bought some muslin and several different shades of green material (mostly plaids/checkerboards, but a flower print too). I cut them into 3 and a half inch squares (I don't know why I picked that length, but I think it was the suggestion of the lady at Joanne's. Over the past few months I have been sewing them into strips. I've got about 4 or 5 strips now. I've really enjoyed sewing squares that are already cut out... cutting and measuring are my least favorite parts of sewing (though I'm not crazy about pressing either). I sew for a different reason than most people... I do it because I like interacting with the sewing machine. They are fun to play with, both old and new, and there's nothing quite as pleasant as the hum of a sewing machine. I really don't care if what I make looks perfect or not! Which will show in this quilt, as some of the seams weren't cut or sewn perfectly straight and I know they aren't going to line up when I get them done... and I'm OK with that. It will look "rustic" just like my apple pie crust always does! I'm also running out of one of the materials that used for the squares. Either didn't buy enough or lost it during moves, so I need to head to the fabric store and look for a substitute. I'll learn better technique when I take a class, for now, I'm just having fun playing.

Oh yes, and then there's that apron I started that I've still got to attach the lace to.... geeeze! (if any of you have any tips on sewing lace around a sharp corner so it looks good, I'm all ears... I tried to meiter as suggested on the sewing forum, but that left me with a gap in the corner of the lace)

You all certainly have some lovely goals and I wish you much success during this month of sewing!

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

Susan & Rosa I so know what you mean!! Here sits a formerly organized intelligent woman who since retirement feels like I lost 80% of my energy & 60% of my IQ! maybe they're somewhere with your handbasket Rosa!?

Jan. looked good at first because I started in Dec. but lately...
    -have all BB done Jan - Apr, Galaxy Stars done thro Sept
    -2 Jan/Feb applique blocks done, need to mail
    -Jan lotto blocks,3 - done & mailed
    -13 blocks done of red/white stars (this uses up some leftover strips I've had for nearly 2yrs - yea!)
    -wanted to make Val wallhanging, but when...?
    -need to bind & label baby quilt before Feb 9
    -need to start & finish another baby qlt before Feb 17
    -finish selecting fabrics for a log cabin. 4 of my sewing friends & I are all making one from Judy Martin's last book
    we meet 1-2/wk & sew together
    -my big goal for 2010 is to finish up as many WIPs as possible. I have nearly 30 projects started from previous classes where I helped students & didn't finish my own; & then had to move on to the next class & the same thing happened all over again! fortunately I had the sense to put all fabrics together to finish, borders, binding...

this list is a great idea! I'm counting on you guys to hold me accountable, but who's gonna be the superwoman to keep up on our lists? that would be a job!

Good luck! everyone! - happy quilting!!

~Cindy

• wish2okc
    14 years ago

I've never posted before, but here goes:

1. Start learning free motion quilting.
    2. Work on birthday blocks.
    3. Select pattern & audition fabrics for the baby quilt my friend asked me to do.

Puny sounding goals, I know, but I'm also into knitting & watercolor. My brain is spinning.

• sunnycentralfl
    14 years ago

OK: feet to the fire time, or time to commit:

Work on BD blocks, which I have mailed 2
    start my year with 3 little donation quilts, in progress now
    and try something new in quilting, but what???

THX Gals for keeping me going...Gwen

• calliope
    14 years ago

I've been working on a Dresden Plate and have nine of the twelve 'plates' done. Generating lots of smaller scraps, so instead of letting them multiply like rabbits, I have been making a crazy quilt concurrently. I really like the idea of having two quit tops going, because I go on a run where I like working on one better than the other and I don't get bored that way.

I am getting the crazy quilt sandwiched up now. It's about a twin bed size and I'm going to machine quilt it to get some practice in. I hope I don't ruin it, because this one is done really shows the progress I've made in the last couple years.

I need to get the back ready to send off my queen sized double nine patch to get an all-over pattern. I've never done this and am not looking forward to hand quilting a queen.

I have a cathedral windows panel I did three years ago, I want to make a large pillow out of, and the one and only lotto I won, eleven (including my three) blocks in a red sampler of patterns. One of them is a Tuxedo Junction block and can't be used alone, so I'll made three more and use it as a center and put blocks around it and work in some blue for a R/W/B quilt. Something every quilter needs to do at least once.

Still leaves two tops in various stages of needing finished. But, I'm not going to tackle those just yet. I want to do another puff quilt using a different technique, and a full-sized log cabin down the road this year.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

Vacuumfreak, Can you just 'ease' the lace around the corner or the apron in small gathers?

Sharon

• polardream
    Original Author
    14 years ago

8 sets of luggage tages (16 tags) - DONE
    Dog bed for "granddog" Lucy - DONE
    Pillow Shams to match my Saturday Flower Garden quilt - FINALLY DONE!
    February & March birthday block
    Recover dining room chairs - Fabric came in today!

Decide on pattern for graduation quilt - start getting fabrics together

Non-quilting: Get report cards - DONE! Ready to hand out tomorrow - YIPPEE
    Finish painting kitchen - Saturday
    Decide on new light fixtures & end tables

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

Mid-month update:
    Work on Sallys quilt: Just have to put the border on the end of Salijo's quilt. (Don't read this part Sal)...I hope to be able to get it to her for her ???? birthday in March.

Take 2 laps around the driveway daily: I haven't been taking laps every day, but most of them. That plus the exercise it takes to get out of 'the' chair should be doing something to tone up!

Get caught up on Sew-Alongs and BOMs: Haven't done a one, but I've looked at them!

Make some crumb blocks: Did (and started another quilt with them....what am I thinking???)

Wall Hanging Challenge: On-going.....and it 'is' a challenge.

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

mid month summary:

Have started my applique BOM project
    Have started my quarterly wallhanging project
    Have started the cutest baby quilt - Sharon let me know if you get pregnant, won't you.
    Just got back from a big show so have visions of projects dancing in my head - that's always expensive.
    Have enrolled in an EQ6 class so have hopes of advancing my software tools.

• solstice98
    14 years ago

How did you all do?

Here's my update:
    * Wall Hanging Challenge - designed but no idea how to start yet. Still not started by I have a few ideas now.
    * My own February birthday block - I want to make at least 3 this month, but I'll settle for 1. I did make 3 and love them! I have fabric purchased for about 10 more and hope to do a few each month until I get them all done. I've already received one of my birthday blocks (thanks, Bill!) and it's lovely.
    * Quilt As You Go - I've just got to try this and want to get started this month, as soon as my fabric gets here! I started, I love it, and I'll be posting pictures of the process soon.
    * Major shopping trip for batiks for my niece's wedding quilt. I've got to decide on a pattern too and haven't done that yet. I don't have fabric yet but I've decided on a pattern: "White Chocolate" by Deb Luttrell from McCalls. I won't make mine quite so scrappy, but with similar colors.
    This should be a fun month! It has been!

Kate (no, I didn't use the treadmill every night)

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I think listing my goals helped alittle ** so far my progress- still have a few days left.

Before I can do anything - I need to get my Christmas Decorations put away!!! I need the space to work on the quilt tops.** Still not put away, but stuff is in the finished basement thats where I need the space for the tops. This weekend!!!

1. Birthday Blocks for Jan-2** Done and mailed.
    2. January Block Lotto -**Done and mailed 1 block
    3. BonBon Bom PP at least 1 - maybe 2 ** I made 5 Blocks!!!!!
    4. Take a class for Heirloom machine applique (maybe use for my seasonal challenge)JAN 16TH **Took the class disappointed class not as LQS described, but instructor was good.
    5. I am hoping to take a class using decorative stitches - Pfaff dealer this Friday -if it isn't snowed out. **Took class it was hard learned a lot I need to finish the shirt so I can wear it.
    6. Work on quilt top- Carolina Lily for MIL B'day for March- sew pinwheels on 2 sides. **Got everything together have done nothing on it.
    7. Finish quilt top for nephew - 2 rows left to sew on -almost done - Buy backing ** Got the backing did nothing else.

Very Bad part of list :)

8. Pin baste Stack n whack & quilt.** NOTHING
    9. Hand sew at least one row on the QAYG Sampler. NOTHING
    10. Practice FM on the whole cloth from a class. NOTHING
    11. Maybe make pillowcase for #7. NOTHING

We'll see if this list helps me reach some of my goals. **I still have a few days maybe I can change one of the Nothings to something!

• damascusannie
    14 years ago

I did meet my goal: to make and finish the raffle quilt for our nephew's benefit. And now I'm working on finishing a wedding quilt for a niece. The quilting's nearly done and then I'll start the binding. I'm pretty pumped again and even have some new clients for custom quilting! It's been hard to reestablish that here in Texas, but hopefully these quilts will lead to some good word-of-mouth for me.

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Goal was "Get my frame & mid arm up and going. Gotta call Santa ....."

It is up and running. Got one UFO quilted, one baby top pieced, will get borders on another (thanks for the top Sharon) tomorrow. This weekend I will quilt them, or at least one of them. Yippee, this is the first time I have ever completed my goals and actually gotten extra done.

beverly

• salijo
    14 years ago

Looks like everyone has been busy sewing. Here's my update:

1. Finish sewing the top of my first project for the wallhanging challenge. I'm probably more than half finished with it. (Top is finished)
    2. Get up enough nerve to try to FMQ the project. Probably do some practice pieces....when is this project due???? (I have nerve, but it's kind of frayed right now, so this hasn't been started)
    3. Sew together 2-4 blocks each of 2 WIP quilts. (not finished)
    4. Start planning my second wallhanging project. (Planned, sewn together, sandwiched, and started machine appliqueing for the first time...this is further along than my first project. I think I'll have to switch them for the challenge.)
    5. Take down my Christmas tree....maybe. (huh???)

Salijo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

Toolgranny/Linda, I'll get put in the book of records if I get pg.....I sent you an email.

You're certainly welcome, Beverly.

Salijo, Leave your tree up just change the ornaments to Valentine. lol

Take 2 laps around the driveway daily - not walking much since Dr says knee replacement is in my future.
    Work on Sallys quilt - DONE
    Get caught up on Sew-Alongs and BOMs - Not done, but sitting next to machine
    Make some crumb blocks - Made a few
    Wall Hanging Challenge - Almost all the chicken pieces are cut out so hopefully will get them fused next month.

Not on the List: 2 coverlets for Haiti - one is completed and the other needs a bit more quilting and it'll be done.

Cannot believe January, 2010 is almost over.......

SharonG/FL

• juttz
    14 years ago

Since I have been so called retired I have not wanted to do alot of anything but as of this last week I have been putting together my patriotic quilt and started to quilt it today.I also have been watching Hoarders on tv and this has gotten me to start to clean hot spots in my house...lolol...I start out small and each day I do one area..this is big for me since before I didnt have time to do anything after I got out of work..I do see alot of positives in not working...I guess God had to put obsticles in my way to make me decide not to take another job...and my next quilting project is a baby quilt for a family member...Judy

• lindaoh_gw
    14 years ago

Birthday blocks for January - Done and sent
    Table runner for January -base done, will do applique this weekend
    'Jitterbug' quilt from jelly roll- -blocks done
    plan and make 50th anniversary quilt for friend - Done
    finish BOM from last year - no progress in Jan.
    pick up BOM from LQS- -block done

My DD is coming home this weekend and we plan to work on our table runners together. I have the base done but haven't started the applique. I have been waiting for DD to come home. I bought 10 yards of wonder under so we can each make a table runner each month. I bought a pattern with 12 different designs, one for each month.
    The jelly roll quilt has been fun but slow going. It won't take long to finish now but just haven't had time. It will probably have to go on Feb's list.
    Linda OH

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

Winter weather is condusive to lots of quilting - too cold to be outside! I feel good about what I've done this month, but I'm sure to slough off once it gets nice out.So far,
    have all BB done Jan - Apr, Galaxy Stars done thro Sept BEST FRIENDS DONE THRU MAY; PATCHWORK PINES DONE THRU MARCH
    -2 Jan/Feb applique blocks done, need to mail MAILED
    -Jan lotto blocks,3 - done & mailed
    -13 blocks done of red/white stars (this uses up some leftover strips I've had for nearly 2yrs - yea!) FINISHED,QUILTED,BOUND,NOW ON END OF GUEST BED
    -wanted to make Val wallhanging, but when...? 1 SMALL DONE & HANGING IN KITCHEN; 1 LG ONE WAITING TO PUT ON THE LONGARM
    -need to bind & label baby quilt before Feb 9 OOPS:(
    -need to start & finish another baby qlt before Feb 17 OOPS AGAIN:(
    -finish selecting fabrics for a log cabin. 4 of my sewing friends & I are all making one from Judy Martin's last book we meet 1-2/wk & sew together ONE FRIEND IS IN FLA UNTIL MAR, WE DECIDED TO WAIT ON HER TO RETURN
    -my big goal for 2010 is to finish up as many WIPs as possible. I have nearly 30 projects started from previous classes where I helped students & didn't finish my own; & then had to move on to the next class & the same thing happened all over again! fortunately I had the sense to put all fabrics together to finish, borders, binding... BEGAN WORKING ON ONE, BUT THEN SLIPPED & STARTED A NEW ONE (COULDN'T HELP IT; SOME NEW FABRIC FROM MY LAST TRIP TO TENN WAS CALLING OUT TO ME!!)

~cindy

• polardream
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am SO amazed at everything you are all accomplishing!

1. February & March birthday block - FEBRUARY DONE & MAILED - Decided on design for March so need to get fabric
    2. Recover dining room chairs - DONE!
    3. Pulled out 2 UFOs that will need final borders & quilting for 2 MAY weddings - Cut squares to include on final borders. - need to buy backing
    4. Decide on pattern for graduation quilt - start getting fabrics together
    5. Non-quilting: Paint kitchen -DONE
    6. Decide on new light fixtures - PURCHASED - DH & I need to install
    Sue/polardream

• vacuumfreak
    14 years ago

I'm impressed with everyone's progress! You have been busy and are an inspiration! I have been sewing a little bit every day after work.... around 1 AM before going to bed. Even if it's just 20 minutes I need time with my machines to unwind and melt away the stesses of the day. I finished the pillow for work and it turned out nicely. I have 9 strips now for that "quilt top" thing I'm making... it's amazing how quickly that is coming together. The most important thing was to sign up for a quilting class. Sharon, thanks for the suggestion. I've lost interest in the apron for now however! I may resume in a few months.

Cant wait to see what February brings!

• vacuumfreak
    14 years ago

I'm impressed with everyone's progress! You have been busy and are an inspiration! I have been sewing a little bit every day after work.... around 1 AM before going to bed. Even if it's just 20 minutes I need time with my machines to unwind and melt away the stesses of the day. I finished the pillow for work and it turned out nicely. I have 9 strips now for that "quilt top" thing I'm making... it's amazing how quickly that is coming together. The most important thing was to sign up for a quilting class. Sharon, thanks for the suggestion. I've lost interest in the apron for now however! I may resume in a few months.

Cant wait to see what February brings!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

You're welcome, vacuumfreak.

I completed the 69 piece Chocolate Star yesterday and also was prompted to get out the Applique in a Day and worked on that. I figure it's still January, so would post on this thread.

Let's hear it for retirement and having lots of time to sew and quilt!!! YAHOOOOOOO

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Yeaaaa for retirement and quilting time. I'm so grateful for that luxury.

I ended the month with a bit done. I finished my BA BOM and started the second one for Feb. I have done nothing on my quarterly wallhanging I started and may set it aside for something else as it doesn't please me. I have my frame ready to go but don't have the nerve to go out and start. I'll watch Beverly for inspiration.

I've started a Quilt Univ class on EQ6 applique design. Love it. Highly recommend it.

I have three separate baby quilt projects in the works. I'm so glad to finally hear pregnancy mentioned. Better Julie than you, Sharon or Sally. Now, I'm inspired for February goals!

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I can check off getting the Christmas decorations put away!!! I had planned to get one more item off my list, but we got a bunch of snow Sat -- and I had to shovel - shovel - shovel since DH shouldn't due to his heart procedures a few months ago. If you have a deck - and we have 3- you also have to get the snow off the decks if it is alot, because of the weight. Retirement.......and warm weather is calling me...........a few more years.

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors