Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Do you ever use polyester blends in your quilts?

TxMarti
13 years ago

I've got a couple of large pieces of poly blends. I've had them so long I can't even remember buying them. I'll probably make receiving with the really big pieces, but I'm wondering what to do with the rest.

Comments (13)

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I never use poly and hate the smell when you iron it. I prefer only cotton. Perhaps you can donate it to a thrift shop. It's good for aprons and other things.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oooh, maybe I should make an apron. I hate the way this poly ravels. I didn't notice any smell when I ironed it.

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

I just don't like poly for quilting - period, & have yet to see it used in a quilt where it looked nice & not tacky.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

No polyester for me. I don't like the feel, the smell, the potential for discoloration, etc. I think the thrift shop ides is a good one!

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

I've never used poly blends, just because I've never liked to wear them. They don't breath well.

All cotton ages well, gets soft and tender. Poly will stay crisper--plastic, you know.

I can't always tell the difference by smell or feel, but I know poly blends shouldn't be mixed with cottons in one quilt. The synthetic fibers act like little wires, since they are stronger than cotton and have zero elasticity. If you use a poly blend thread for the piecing, even a cotton wrapped one, then THAT thread will cut any all cotton units in the quilts right along it's seam line.

I wouldn't use it for a receiving blanket, just because I recall having my own new babies. Those blankets need to be absorbent!

Aprons sound like a good idea, or placemats. Maybe baby bibs, if you have some babies coming in your circle.

• karpet
    13 years ago

With quilting frugally over the last 4 years I have started using poly blends in quilts. I even mix them with all cotton. I think it is entirely up to you. Most people I give quilts to do not know the difference. I had a lot of mixed fiber content fabrics that I had inherited and did not want to waste them.

If you want to see my quilts, here is a link - maybe you can pick out which ones have mixed fiber content.
    Karlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilt pics

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Karlene, so what kind of thread do you use for piecing? I've seen some painful pictures of mixed quilts sliced at the seam line by poly thread. I think about five years was the mark. I know five years is a long time for a normal person. I take a whole 'nother perspective, though, since I do everything by hand still, and I've worked on a single quilt (off and on among other projects) for three years. Nuts, I know! (I'm getting better with my machine, though, thanks to some of the Lotto blocks I practice and sweat over. It's such a job for me.)

If I had to choose, I'd pick cotton thread. Then, the worst would be just the seam might open up, with no damage to the all cotton fabric pieces so repairs would be easy.

• karpet
    13 years ago

Petalpatsy - To be honest, I don't know what the fiber content of my thread is. For close to 20 years I've been buying the cone thread because it lasts longer. I used to buy it at Wal-mart, but our fabric section closed several years ago. I have also acquired several large cones of thread through garage sales and inheriting some - I just feel it to see if it has the right feel and there are ones that I pass on to others. I do not have most of the quilts I've made, but my first bed-size one went to my oldest daughter when she got her big-girl bed so that was about 20 years ago. It was all cotton and the cotton had worn through in the ruffle and the border (it was pillow-cased turned) so I replaced those a couple years ago. My youngest daughter also has a quilt I made for her bed, and that does contain some mixed fiber content. I was not thrilled with the quality of some of those fabrics, but she designed the quilt as a castle and it needed silver! So far, I have not had to make repairs to that.

Like Calliope, I make my quilts to be used. I wash them in cold water and line dry them the first few washes, but after that they get washed the same as the sheets. The one on our bed is 10 years old and holding up well so far.

If I'm buying fabric, I do buy cotton. But I had a lot of mixed fiber fabrics from my mom that she used in making aprons (LOL)and a lot of fabric that was going to be little girl dresses, but the girls started to want to wear pants instead of ruffled skirts! So I've been challenging myself to find a way to use them that is hopefully attractive.
    Karlene

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

I have an older quilt book that has a beautiful 'birthday' whole cloth quilt featured and it is made of poly blend. The reason the quilter gave was that it did not wrinkle when wash and would always look new. So I guess everyone does not care for the old antique look after washing lol!!!!! When we had the back to back hurricanes in Florida someone left a big stitch hand quilted polyester quilt on my patio. It had to be one of my son's friends and I tried for years to give it back to the owner, can't find them. We use it out doors and wash and dry it, it holds up very well.
    I prefer cotton fabrics for clothes and my mother says I'm nuts!! With the news about the prices of cotton I would hold on to any types of fabrics I have, just in case. But I do prefer all cotton fabric and batting.
    Rosa

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I usually use cotton wrapped poly thread and have never noticed a problem and most of my quilts are over 5 years old.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I have used a lot of the cotton wrapped poly thread and have quilts that are 20 years old. But I understand the appeal of cotton. When I make a quilt I'm thinking in terms of it being around for 100+ years, with regular use! I'll just have to hope the cotton wrapped poly doesn't cause damage in the long run.

I take back part of what I said about poly fabrics. I really don't use them mixed in with the cottons on the tops, but I've used Minky and polar fleece for the backing on quilts and really like it. Those are definitely not 100% cotton!

Go with whatever you like - it's all part of the creative process.

Kate

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

If I am shopping for a particular quilt, then yes, I buy 100% cotton fabrics. It's just how I prefer to make quilts.

Would I toss out a blend - hell^no! I also use cotton-covered poly thread. My oldest quilt is 22 years old, and served my 24 y-o son until he went to university. It was all cotton fabrics, but sewn with Coats and Clark Dual Duty Cotton Covered Polyester thread.

That quilt has been washed in the machine and dried in a machine at least once a month since I made it. It's still here.

The thread doesn't destroy the quilt. Bad sewing may - too much tension on the stitches, unbalanced tension.. all sorts of things. But in my professional opinion - it's not usually the thread.