Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gogwmos

I need a heavy filling for a thin pillow

gogwmos
11 years ago

I have a feather pillow that was made for me when I was born, so it is 44 years old. In college I started sleeping with it over my head because I lived in a co-ed dorm, and it helped keep the noise down from the blaring stereos of the guys downstairs. It was heavy enough and floppy enough to really sink around my head.

Anyway, over the years, washing and leaks have turned these feathers into tiny balls of nothingness. If you lay the pillow flat and pat it down, it less than an inch thick. I would like to reuse the ticking (just for the sentimental value!) but I need a filling that will have the heft to make it floppy and not much taller than the one inch it is now, but heavy.

What filling should I use?

Comments (8)

• grammyp
    11 years ago

You could try a piece of memory foam.

beverly

• calliope
    11 years ago

It's a pity that the traditional pillow stuffings aren't mainstream anymore. I know you want this repaired for sentimental reasons, but to order feather/down by the bag can get quite dear and it's even hard to find kapoc anymore, but I did see some on some sights as low as about $6 per bag. I would think something like kapoc would best mimic the heaviness of the old feather pillows, as it was what was used to stuff vintage throw pillows. It's more pliable than something like foam, and a lot heavier.

• gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

GrammyP, I want a lot of pieces, like feathers but heavier, not the foam itself, although that is the weight I am thinking of.

Calliope, what is Kapoc? That sounds like the ideal thing, the weight and pliability, so I will look for that! If nothing else I will start the project from scratch and just make a new pillow.

Thanks so much, I appreciate it.

• gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Calliope, where did you find the Kapoc at the nice price?

Thanks!

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I suggest buying a ready made pillow you like from a store, and using it as the 'guts' or filling inside your pillow ticking cover. Put a zipper in the end of the outer cover so you can easily remove it to wash it.

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

You could also go to an upholstery shop and get some shredded foam.That way you can make it as thick or thin as you want.
    Kathi

• gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all, my mom made a suggestion, use regular new feathers and use a heavier ticking over the old one. She will be here to visit in a few weeks so I think we will try it!

Thanks!

• calliope
    11 years ago

That's the issue because a bag of new feathers cost anywhere from thirty five dollars on up to sixty five for a weight of about three pounds. You might want to try to find a cheap feather pillow and rob it of it's guts, but even they are expensive when new. I've seen them, with a lighter and poorer quality feather than the old ones but in very cheezy cases, not like the ticked ones of vintage nature. That's an option, but they're still gonna set you back at least ten dollars at a discount store, perhaps more. You may want to ask around family or friends if anyone has an old vintage feather pillow they don't want. I'd be reluctant to pick one up at a charity shop because of the issues now with bedbugs.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH