Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

2014 LOTTO At-a-glance

K8Orlando
10 years ago

This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance to those who have slow-loading computers. Each month there will also be a separate posting for that month, as we've always done.

We're going to work around an overall theme this year: "ELEMENTALS". That just means that we'll have an inspiration for each month - one that's very basic, like SKY or OCEAN. As we get samples done, Valarie or I will post pictures here in this thread.

We've tried to pick blocks that are fun and interesting and simple enough so that you can complete up to three of them in an evening or two. It's our intent that you can use fabric from your stash, without having to go buy something new. A certain amount of variation is great and it's what gives these group quilts their depth and character, but please try to stay close enough to the themes so your blocks 'play well with others'.

The 2014 LOTTO themes are:
January - NEW YEAR - The Anvil block in black and white
February - EARTH - Broken Wheel block in earth colors of blue, green, beige
March - SKY - Flyfoot block in light blue and white
April - SUN - Ribbon Stars in brights and white
May - JEWEL - Depression block in vivid blues, greens, reds, yellows
June - MINERAL - Pieced Box block in shades of gray and beige (gold, silver, bronze)
July - MID YEAR - Dewey's Victory block in deep red/maroon, dark blue and cream
August - OCEAN - Waterwheel Variation block in watery shades of blue, green, purple
September - ANIMAL - Wild Duck block in animal prints with off-white
October - FIRE - Contrary Wife in fire/fall colors of red, orange, purple
November - MOON - Double Irish Chain in black, gray, silver, blue with light gray backgound
December - nothing for December (but check out the 4th quarter block!)

Note:
- Where it says 'white' that means solid white, white-on-white, or even a white with a very little bit of color print as long as it reads as white.
- Where it says off-white, beige, cream or tan that means any variation of beige; solids, tone-on-tone, small prints, etc.

QUARTERLY SPECIAL LOTTO
We are also going to have one block each quarter for those who want to try something special. As with the regular Lotto, you can make 1, 2 or 3 blocks.
1st Quarter - due 3/31 - paper pieced 6" Heart in 1930's scrappy
2nd Quarter - due 6/30 - paper pieced 12" Birdhouses in brights
3rd Quarter - due 9/30 - paper pieced Leaf - any pattern 6" or more, any leaf, any colors (scrappy OK)
4th Quarter - due 12/31 - 24" Radiant Splendor (from Fresh Lemons website) block in Christmas red, light green and white

Pictures and links to patterns to follow in next post...

Kate & Valarie
Sunday January 5th, 2014

This post was edited by k8orlando on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 16:31

Comments (31)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

January - NEW YEAR - The Anvil block in black and white
    Link to The Anvil
    Inspiration picture:

Here are Kate's Anvil blocks for January:

littlehelen's completed Ribbon Quilt blocks:

Here are Kate's Flyfoot blocks:

This post was edited by k8orlando on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 20:45

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Get our your bright, cheerful fabrics because you can use them for April and May!
    _________

April - SUN - Ribbon Stars in brights and white.
    You have a choice this month and can do either block or a combination, up to a total of three. Why two blocks? Because one is very simple and the other a bit complicated. We think the two blocks will go together very well, too, as long as you stick to bright, modern colors and white for the background.
    Link to instructions for easier Ribbon Star
    Link to more complicated Ribbon Star
    Inspiration picture:

(Kate says she's going to make two of the simpler ones and one of the foo-foo ones.)

Here are Val's blocks:

May - JEWEL - Depression block in vivid blues, greens, reds, yellows.
    Link to Depression block
    This is an old favorite block but we're going to go bright, bright, BRIGHT with it this time. Make all half square triangles with one 1/2 blue or green and the other 1/2 red/orange/yellow. It will be great for a cheerful gift quilt or a child's quilt. Here's the quilt that inspired this choice:

Here are Kate's Depression Blocks:

June - MINERAL - Pieced Box block in shades of gray and beige (gold, silver, bronze). No white, please.
    We'll leave the brights behind us for now and go with a more sophisticated, subdued palette.
    Link to Pieced Box
    Inspiration picture:

This post was edited by k8orlando on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 20:40

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Boy! You ladies have been really busy. I'd better get caught up with my UFO's
    LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

July - MID YEAR - Dewey's Victory block in deep red/maroon, dark blue and cream (NOT white). More cool, classic colors to get us through the hot days of summer.
    Link to Dewey's Victory block
    Inspiration picture:

Some completed blocks. Note: these all have the outer star in red and the inner pinwheel in blue but you can reverse that if you want and do a blue star with a red pinwheel.

August - OCEAN - Waterwheel Variation block in watery shades of blue, green, purple. No white or beige in this one; use a pale shade of blue, green or purple for the light background squares.
    Link to Waterwheel Variation block
    Inspiration picture:

September - ANIMAL - Wild Duck block in animal prints with off-white. This is a fun block with an interesting secondary pattern. Try to use either two distinct animal prints, so the block pattern shows up, or use a dark solid for Color #1.
    Link to Wild Duck block
    Inspiration picture:

This post was edited by k8orlando on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 14:46

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

October - FIRE - Contrary Wife in fire/fall colors of red, orange, purple with off-white background. We did this block a couple years ago in jewel tones and Tamie/Bozogardener made a truly beautiful quilt with the blocks. Link to Tamie's quilt picture.
    Link to Contrary Wife block
    Inspiration picture:

November - MOON - Triple Irish Chain in black, gray, silver, blue with light gray backgound. This pattern makes a large 22" block! The cut pieces are 2 1/2" so they should be easy to work with. It's a good way to use up some of your scraps too. You can make this scrappy in the colors specified (see the scrappy photo) or you can go less scrappy. I think the blocks will blend well either way.

Image of the block - wrong colors but this is the pattern:

Inspiration picture:

Link to the pattern: Triple Irish Chain

December - no regular Lotto for December (but check out the 4th quarter block!)

This post was edited by k8orlando on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 10:18

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

QUARTERLY SPECIAL LOTTO
    We are also going to have one block each quarter for those who want to try something special. As with the regular Lotto, you can make 1, 2 or 3 blocks.

1st Quarter - due 3/31 - paper pieced 6" Heart in 1930's scrappy. This is a very basic paper piece pattern and a great way to give this method a try if you haven't done one before. There are other free patterns available but let's stick to this one so we know they'll all fit together.
    Link to Candy Box Heart paper piece block

2nd Quarter - due 6/30 - paper pieced 12" Birdhouses in brights. Any colors. This is cute, cute, cute! For the holes, you can fuse or applique holes on, or just skip that part and let the winner decide if they want to add buttons instead.
    Link to Birdhouse block

3rd Quarter - due 9/30 - paper pieced Leaf - any pattern 6" or more, any leaf, any colors (scrappy OK)
    There are several paper piece leaf patterns available for sale from $2 to $6 on line, but you can download a free one here: Paper Piece Leaf
    Let us know if you find another free one!

And here's a free pattern that Beth found at Quilterscache called Palm Leaves Hosannah:

4th Quarter - due 12/31 - UPDATE!!! Because of copyright issues, we are removing the 24" Swoon block from our list and replacing it with a beautiful 20" block from Fresh Lemons called Radiant Spendor. It's a fresh approach to a block that dates from the 1800's! How cool is THAT?!? We'll stick with the original plan and do it in Christmas red, light green and white. OK for any shade of red and OK to use Holiday prints. Also OK to do reds in the center and green for the outside stars or vice versa. Let's keep to a white or W.O.W. background so they all go together.
    Radiant Splendor is a large block so it won't take many to make a nice quilt or Holiday table topper. We'll post instructions later, but you can find them right now at the Fresh Lemons Quilts website in the 'tutorials' tab. Easy instructions and a great tutorial.

I'll post a picture soon along with a couple sample blocks!

This post was edited by k8orlando on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 8:29

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Nov. link doesn't work here.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no! Does it get you to the Jinny Beyer site? From there click on 'Free Patterns' and then 'Double Irish Chain'.

Trying again with the URL link below...

Looks like I was able to edit and fix the link. Thanks for letting me know it was 'broken'!

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Irish Chain

This post was edited by k8orlando on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 20:22

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

WOW! I've very impressed!

I love that you have a theme each month, and an inspiration photo as well! And the quarterly blocks are fantastic!

I may have to contribute this year...We'll see!

Good job, gals!

(All links worked for me)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Link is working today. Thanks Kate.
    Theresa

• bev2009
    10 years ago

You have both done a wonderful job of putting this together. I like the inspirational pics. Thank for all your hard work. I look forward to playing.

• bozogardener
    10 years ago

I really like the inspiration pictures. They give us a fuller picture of what the quilt colors should be. I'm looking forward to trying some of these!

Thank you for the kind words on my quilt from a previous lotto!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Please note that there has been a change! After making a couple of the Broken Wheel blocks for February, littlehelen didn't think the block worked very well and wasn't up to Lotto standards. She tried a couple others and decided Ribbon Quilt Block was The One. I agree! It's gorgeous in the blue/green/off-white combo and should make a really pretty quilt. This block, in these colors, will work well for any quilt from babies, to teens, to grandparents.

Here are a couple sample blocks in our EARTH colors:

And here's what the finished quilt would look like:

Thanks to littlehelen for working through this for us!!!

• lola99
    10 years ago

Wow, what a fun post. Your plan is very inspirational! I hope to participate more this year.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I agree with you, Kate. I like the Ribbon better. :-)

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Val found it and used beautiful blue/green prints. I may have to go fat quarter shopping to find something perfect for this one.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I think I have some blue/green batiks that might do the trick for this one.

March: I made Flyfoot today. Love the light blue and white.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I updated the posts today to add some sample blocks. I'll keep doing that as Val and I get blocks completed.

Thank you all for your enthusiasm!

Kate

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Will Val mind if we send more than one month's blocks at a time? Postage from here (Canada) can be pricey. I know I sent Kate more than one at a time.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Theresa, I'm sure that's not problem at all. Include $1 for each month, but send as many months as you can stuff into the envelope. The more the merrier!

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Wonderful choices and examples. Thanks for all your hard work.
    I hope to be able to play this year.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

No problem at all to send several months blocks at one mailing, I'm sure that will be a little savings. Just be sure to have your name on the block...that's all.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone's creations again this year!!!
    V.

• Kristene Smith
    10 years ago

Just moving this up so can keep it on the page. Valarie & Kate - thanks for all your work organising this swap. You have certainly inspired me to join in
    Kristene

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kristene! Yea!

This weekend I'll be posting more pictures of the blocks we've completed. I have a couple more done but Valarie has really been busy!

Kate

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Moving to the top

LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moving this back to the top as I get ready to post the April Lotto and the 2nd quarter paper piece Lotto. This year is moving so quickly!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bumping to first page. Will post more block pictures shortly.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beth found another free leaf pattern that will work great for the 3rd quarter paper piece project. The full instructions at Quilters Cache show 4 blocks, each 6x6, sewn together to form a 12" square, but you can just do one 6x6 for this lotto.

Palm Leaf Paper Piece Block

Thanks Beth!

Kate

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I had to go searching for this & the August block, so I thought I'd bring it back to the top for everyone else, too...

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh oh! Sorry! August snuck up on me! I'll try to get it posted tomorrow!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moving this back up for those who want to check out the blocks for the rest of the year!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022