Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casi_gw

Need help with Quilt as You Go

casi
15 years ago

I did a search for QAYG and found a posting by a Marty Mo in Dec. 07, who was offering to do a tuitorial for QAYG. There were many posters who were interested in what she wanted to do. If she did do it....where would I find it? Would it still be available? Anyone know about it?

TIA

Comments (8)

• wanda_va
    15 years ago

Here's a link for a good tutorial - http://www.quilterscache.com/H/howtoquiltoneatatime.html

My favorite tutorial (the one I learned by) -
    http://www.treadleon.net/quiltshop/joiningblocks/joining.html

• casi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Wanda. I actually had seen those before, I just forgot that I had them and I kind of panicked today while getting ready to start piecing together my blocks! I'm a newbie and I probably shouldn't have attempted something so complicated! lol I definitely like the second one with less hand stitching but it all does look time consuming.

• wanda_va
    15 years ago

Casi, I have made a number of quilts using the QAYG method, and I think it's actually easier than trying to scrunch a big quilt under my sewing machine. I will never again make a queen or king quilt without using the QAYG method.

Of course, if I had a longarm, it would be a different story. Maybe someday....

Good luck and have fun!

• casi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wanda, maybe you can help me. I can see I have major problems goin' on. My quilt project is a King size, using 12 in. blocks. I was told to cut my batting bigger than my blocks, which I see contradicts what both of your tuitorials say. So I'm having trouble matching up all the pieces. I guess, I should go through and line everything up, right? Then, on a previous project that I did with my local quilt shop, I was told to just pin the pieces together with safety pins. That is not a suggested practice? Our project was just a 12 inch block to make a bag and the material was denim, which probably didn't pucker like my current project material. So you feel that the pre-hand basting is the way to go? That was what I was attempting to do when I realized that my pieces weren't matching up well. HELP! lol

• casi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went back and evened up one piece and basted the edges. I'm worried that I'm going to have problems putting it together because it is not perfectly even. Pictures I hope will show what I'm talking about. What do you think?
    {{!gwi}}

• casi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of the backing
    {{!gwi}}

• marty_mo
    15 years ago

Hello Casi ~ QAYG tutorial did not happen...life got in the way and...I dropped the ball. I switched jobs and it has consumed my time...unfortunately I don't find much time to quilt these days or write up the tutorial. Sorry!!!

Marty

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Cassi,
    There are several ways to do QAYG.
    You already have trimmed the squares so this is the way with sashing.
    You did not say how you are going to quilt them, but the squares are small enough to be pinned for MQ.
    Take out the basting stitches, it looks like you will have puckers.
    Starch both the top an bottom blocks A LOT and press them. Then layer them back as you have then now, pin (starting in the middle to keep the block laying flat) and quilt.
    All of the blocks must be squared up to the same size after quilting. Take 2 blocks to start.
    Cut the top sashing 1&3/4 and the length of the block (12&1/2 inches for example). Fold in half and press.
    Cut the back sashing 1&1/8 and length of block.
    1)Place the sashing on the back side of block 1(the same way you put on a binding, right side of sashing facing back of block).
    2)Place the top sashing on top of block 1 (with the folded edge facing away from the seam).
    3)Sew both of the sashings onto the side of block 1.
    4)Sew the other side of the back sashing to block 2, the two blocks should now butt together. (fold top sashing back out of the way to avoid sewing it to block 2 at this time).
    5)You have joined 2 blocks, and you can either sew the top sashing down with a decorative stitch or hand sew. You can wait until all of the blocks are added and stitch at one time.
    6)Each additional block is added in the same way to make a row.
    7) to join the row the sashing will be cut the same 1&3/4 ans 1&1/8 by the length of the rows.
    There was a video of this on Simply Quilts, but I can't find it now.
    Hope this helps. Go slow, use lots of starch!!!!
    Rosa

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH