Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

Joann's - Pellon fusible interfacing question

quiltingfox
9 years ago

I am wanting to buy lightweight cloth like fusible interfacing for applique projects. Have you ever used either of these 2 products? Is there 1 you would recommend more? I want to buy in bulk so I can use this throughout the year. Here are the 2 fusible interfacing I found online at Joann's:

1. Pellon 8-Yrd Ultra Lightweight Fusible Interfacing By the Bolt $7.99

2. 911ff Fusible Featherweight sold by the yard at $3.49/yd

I am leaning more toward the 1st one assuming if this means you get 8 yards for $7.99?? I need help, please post comments.

Thanks bunches!
Sandra

Comments (6)

• new2quilting
    9 years ago

I've used the 911 a lot in making bags and pouches and things where it stays in. It was recommended to me by a friend who uses it all the time and I've seen it mentioned in patterns as well. It's fairly light. Are you doing machine applique or hand? I'm not sure I'd want to hand stitch through it, but machine wouldn't be a problem.

--Amy

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Amy for the feedback. I am wanting it to machine applique - like leaves and flowers for quilt blocks. After I did the post earlier I spoke with S-I-L who sews a lot and I went ahead and ordered the 1st one ...I had a 40% off coupon for 1 item online at Joanns, I figured 8 yards should last me a couple of years. Thank you for your help though, it is much appreciated.... in the future I want to learn how to make quilted bags so it's good to know the 911 will be good for that.

Best to you and thanks bunches!,
    Sandra

• new2quilting
    9 years ago

Sandra, I think you would enjoy making bags. You can use up orphan blocks or just try out a block, or try out a quilting pattern. And they can be made over a day or weekend. My first bag was "Charm Party" by Penny Sturges, and I like how her patterns explain everything for a beginner and make it clear for more advanced. I met her at a quilt show and was excited to see her and she was very down to earth and embarrassed at being a "quilt rock star"! (I have no affiliation with her, other than to enjoy many of her patterns).

Here is a link that might be useful: Penny Sturges patterns

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Amy thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Best to you and thanks bunches!,
    Sandra

• jlt37869
    9 years ago

Hi Sandra!

Do you know the Pellon product number of the interfacing that you ordered? Do you like it? Was just curious how it was working out for you.

I use both Pellon 906F (sheer weight) and Pellon 911FF (feather weight), both are fusible. I use 906F for super lightweight fabrics and 911FF for cotton fabrics. Between the two I accomplish what's needed, but I sometimes wonder if there isn't a better option.

Hope your projects are going well.

Jennifer

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I actually have not had the time to use it yet, but hope to later in the year. I bought the Pellon Ultra Lightweight.
    Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 17:10