Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

I'm Finally Getting a Design Wall!

ritaweeda
9 years ago

We went to Lowes and got 2 insulation boards (4 x 8 feet each) and DH is going to cut them in half. Then tomorrow I'm going to Big Lots and getting 4 of those cheap flannel-backed vinyl tablecloths, which I will staple on the 4 pieces, then he will mount them on the wall in back of my sewing table - Whoo Hoo! Now maybe there won't be as many mishaps of sewing blocks together wrong and then spending 30 minutes ripping, ripping... cussing and ripping ... :)

Comments (10)

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

You might want to consider batting on them. I think it holds things better than my old vinyl tablecloths did.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

I used inexpensive white flannel. I saved it when I mived and was able to reuse it on new insulation boards here. I ruined the old ones getting them off the wall.
    LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I think flannel or batting would be better. I never could get anything to stick to the tablecloth and always had to pin.

Sounds exciting!!

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They had the tablecloths at Big Lots for 3.50 each, you can't beat that, and I tested some fabric pieces to see if they stayed put on one before I wasted my time covering one of the boards. I'm going to look for those hanging strips to put the boards on the wall so that they can be easily removed without damage and recovered if I find I need to use something else. Those tablecloths work well as drop-cloths or table protectors for messy craft projects, I always keep my old ones for that so they can come in handy if I change my mind.

• polardream
    9 years ago

Good for you! My sewing room doesn't work well for a design wall since it doubles as a guest room and there is a bed on the only good wall! I am always jealous of you folks that have one!

Sue

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

I use an old vinyl tablecloth back as my design wall and it works great. My only complaint...I need a bigger one!
    If I do expand, I may consider the batting alternative.
    V.

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OOPS. I had the boards all covered, the hanging strips bought and was ready to mount them to the wall. I then realized that I would have to cut them down some because A: there is an outlet in the way on one side and B: it would be too tall. I forgot to take into consideration the molding at the bottom. Back to the drawing board. It will still be plenty big enough but now I'm not so excited to remove the covering and re-do them. Good thing the material is so soft taking the staples out will be no big deal.

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Congrats on getting to put together a quilting design wall.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

If it's possible you can just cut an opening for the outlet. I did that so I could put the sheet up floor to ceiling in my old house.
    LindaB/CA

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally got the boards cut down to fit the space and recovered them. I had bought those hanging strips so that they could be removed easily if needed without damaging the wall but some aren't sticking. Back to the drawing board.