Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

Help! Please! This Lonestar is all wrong!

dan_the_mailman
11 years ago

I'm in the middle of my 2nd attempt at putting a lonestar together. The first came out horrible. I'm using the strip method, 4 strips sewn together then cut at a 45-degree angle. My problem is this... the diamonds are winding up offset from one another. The first set has diamonds which are larger than the other three, even though I cut everything with the same 2 1/2" measurements.

Anyone ever go through this? If so, what did you do to correct it?

Any advice from people who've done lonestars before would sure be appreciated!

Dan

Comments (7)

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

If your diamonds are offset, the strips aren't all the same. Take one strip of four and measure the width of each one exactly. The outside two will have an extra quarter inch, of course. One is probably off a bit and that causes the whole thing to go wacky.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Dan, I think lone star diamonds are a 60 deg angle, rather than 45...that may be your problem.

Donna

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Dan I've made smaller ones (table toppers) but I've never used the strip method to make them, I did it the stupid old-fashioned way. So I can't help figure your problem out. I did however, look up several tutorials and they all stated to use the 45 degree angle to cut the strips. Maybe the one that Donna described is some variation??

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Rita, that was just my recollection from making one a long time ago! So I was probably wrong.

Dan, when I made that one I know the teacher had us mark the seam lines on all four points, then you have to match them up very carefully by sticking a pin through the intersection. It looks like it's wrong but when you sew it comes out correct!

Maybe you can find one of the tutorials Rita found that would help you.

Donna

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Dan, I found this tutorial which might be helpful. Because of the diamond, you can not just line up your seams in the normal way and this really shows how to pin them so the seams will match. Good luck with it.

MLinda

Here is a link that might be useful: Lone Star pinning

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I have noticed the comments about 45 and 60 degrees and thought I might explain the the individual diamonds are 6o degrees but the strips are aligned at 45 making strips of 60 degree diamonds. Interesting pattern and good tutorial.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MLinda, that's the tutorial I'm following. Great minds are thinking alike, eh? You've all given me some great input, and Sunday morning I'm going to start once again to work on this lonestar. Maybe with a clear head and a full day ahead of me I can figure this out. I'll keep you all posted on how things go.
    I may end up separating the individual diamonds and piecing it together like Rita used to do, I will get this one done. Like I mentioned before, this is for my younger sister, which makes it super-extra important to me. We've always been a team since we were babies, and I wanted to give her something tangible to remind herself about that. She quit her job at the Mayo Clinic and moved back to this area because of some physical problems, and she's having major doubts about it all. I asked her to pick out a quilt pattern and she zeroed right in on the lonestar, then worked on picking out the colors for a few weeks. There are seven colors, each of which has meaning for her. So, to make a long story into just a novella (too late for a short story), I want it to look perfect. When I tell her you all helped, that'll make it even more special for her, so each of your suggestions is welcomed.

If you can think of anything more I should check, let me know. Like I said, I'm not working on it until this Sunday when I have a clear head and no distractions. Working on it after a day at work isn't something I want to do, know what I mean?
    In the meantime, take care, and I'll be back here on Sunday to let you know how things are going with this one.
    -Dan