Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
day2day_gw

January 2011 finishes...post pics here

day2day
13 years ago

I thought it would be a good idea to post pics of our quilting projects....starting a new post for each month. Did you have any quilting projects finished in Jan? Would love to see them.

I finished my Flying Geese quilt last night...lots of the points lost but I love it. I started with HSTs that were left over from Snowball,Pineapple Blossom and other blocks.....all different sizes. I had to make a lot more FG units to get the size I wanted. It measures about 90"x 96".

Looking forward to seeing your projects.

~Geraldine

Comments (32)

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Nothing finished yet. But, I continue work on a double wedding ring from antique pieced rings found in aunt's estate. I want it for her daughter's birthday, my cousin. I didn't realize how stretchy these pieces can get when ironed. No two are same size. I'm ready to assemble now and I hope I can quilt down all the boo-boos.

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those stretchy pieces can be a real hassle.
    I like the soft colors in this DWR. It will look wonderful when it's finished. Any ideas about the quilting?....is it due for hand quilting?
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Sorry but DWR will have to be my FMQ - don't have the time. I am making FMQ samples of patterns first before jumping in. I have several ideas.

• ritaweeda
    13 years ago

Love that flying geese, Geraldine, I want to make one someday. Toolgranny, you've got more nerve than I do with an old gem like that - I don't have the guts to even do one brand new much less an antique. But it's lovely and I'm sure you'll do a great job on it. I've got one finished quilt and 2 tops - the finished one is with more masculine colors for my Uncle, Boxed Squares, and I took a photo of a corner of the backing, it's flannel, found it on the discount shelf at Walmart for $1.50 a yard and snatched it. It's machine tacked. The very pastel one with the cross blocks is for my Aunt, I took a closeup of the block in the middle which was one of my mom's hand embroideries. The one with the rectangles and squares I haven't decided what I'm going to do with, it was made with the many leftover rectangles and squares I had left from the first two. Haven't decided on either whether I'll quilt them or tie or tack them.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I know draping them on the couch isn't the best display but my floor hasn't been vacuumed yet! These are all lap/couch quilts.

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Geraldine, love the FG! It's so cheerful!

Toolgranny, you are doing a great job with those old blocks. The curves sure can be stretchy! It will be lovely.

Rita, I love all your quilts, too! You ladies have been busy!

If I get off the computer and show a little initiative, I might finish a top to post on this thread! I'm working on a small Ocean Waves top. The blocks are done, ready to sew together. It's going to have a pinwheel border, so I have a zillion more HSTs to make.

Donna

• calliope
    13 years ago

Wow, what gorgeous quilts! Busy ladies. I'm working on a baby quilt but don't have a really recent picture of it. Here's one I took a few weeks ago before I started hand quilting it and getting the binding on. I have a few more days work to do and then can call this one a wrap.

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rita, I LOVE the Boxed Squares...the colors are beautiful. This pattern is on my 'to-do' list. Lucky you, to get that fleece at a great price. Your Mom's embroidery is lovely.
    I am starting a quilt with strips like your last pic. Still trying to use up my scraps and avoid buying more fabric...money is tight so have to stay within my budget.You have different size strips there. I was going to make my strips all 4 1/2" or 5 1/2" wide but may do as you have done...not sure yet. Your solid color ties it all together...makes for a nice lap quilt.

Donna, keep on plugging. Look forward to seeing a photo of the finished quilt.

Calliope, that's a pretty quilt. What is the design? Looks like a pinwheel but doesn't have those narrow points in the center. I like hand quilting....very relaxing...but also very time-consuming . Be sure to post a pic of the finished quilt.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• ritaweeda
    13 years ago

Geraldine, the strips and squares are all the same size - the colored rectangles are all 6 x 2 finished, the squares are all 2 x 2. The fact that they look like they are uneven sizes is probably because it's sitting on the sofa. The long vertical rows in between are also all the same size, the fact that they are in between rows of squares and rectangles also gives the illusion of differences of width. These were all leftovers from the other two quilts with a few more added to make it more varied. I actually like this one more than the other two and it was an afterthought.

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I see. What I thought were different size rectangles,are really squares and rectangles....my mistake. I can see why you like this one. The solid color really gives it punch.
    I was just in my sewing room (aka the corner of the dining room) and looked at the strips I have laid out. I think I may go with 5 1/2" lengths. (I said width in the other post). It's going to take a lot of pieces but I can join 3,4 or 5 strips together and then cut the needed size.
    Thanks for the info.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Geraldine, Love what you did with your Geese! It looks awesome!

Linda, You're a very patient person to work with those stretchy mis-sized rings....It looks so soft. I'm sure your cousin will appreciate it.

Rita, You've been busy this month!!! Your pattern choice and fabric is perfect for your uncle. Great way to use up your leftovers, too.

Calliope, Cute baby quilt. I like how you extended the white into the border!

I've been working on a couple UFO's...they were blocks. I had made over 150 blue/neutral HST's that were just sitting there so have put 80 together for a top....not very big, but with borders will do for a lap quilt. One more seam then time for the borders. The other one is my BD blocks I received last year.....I've made a few more to make it larger and need 2 more before putting them together for the top. Also, I have blocks ready to sew into another top. I'm plugging away but doubt they'll get finished this month.

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Here is the latest baby quilt finished last weekend. This is the third quilt of this Animal Crackers pattern that I have made. I've included a link. I had the center panel paper doll novelty fabric in my stash and used only stash fabrics to complete the quilt. The back is a large, rose print in a pale pink.

The entire quilt:

The center panel with the paper doll fabric....so cute!

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Animal Crackers pattern at Quiltmaker.com

• calliope
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, but that is cute material!

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sharon, slow and steady wins the race. Perhaps you'll be able to show pics of 3 finished quilts before February is over!
    I've been getting a lot of sewing done this month because the weather has been too poor to get outside. Today, it has been snowing steadily for the 2 hours...no wind, thank heavens, but it's wet snow so it will be hard to shovel.

Teresa, thanks for the link.... I've bookmarked it.This pattern looks great for baby quilts. If I buy a panel, I can use up some of my stash making the border blocks. Two new babies due in the spring. Think it would work with a dolphin panel?...I have one in my stash and was planning to add to it to make a wall hanging for a wedding gift.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Those are all wonderful accomplishments. Each is special in it's own way. Would love to do something with "paperdoll" fabric but have not found the right thing yet.
    If I spent more time with the sewing machine rather then the computer I would accomplish a lot more. Have been working on my Sylvia"s Bridal Quilt but that is discouraging.
    TFS
    Jayne

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Here is Bubble Quilt #3, a design from Kaffe Fassett. I really love this pattern, but this will be "retired" for a while, lol! I'm just done looking for circle/dot fabric. This is just the top, I'm going to try to sandwich this weekend.

{{!gwi}}

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Teresa, the bubble quilt is adorable. I know what you mean about the dot fabric. I did a quilt with all dot fabrics(Fons and Porter " Dot to Dot" pattern) and loved how it turned out but I was seeing dots in my sleep. Did you applique the circles onto the outside blocks?

Jayne,is your SBS too time-consuming or too detailed or are you just bored with it? Are you working on any other projects?

~Geraldine

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Yes, Geraldine, the circle/bubbles were machine appliqued to both the center panel and on the 4-patch blocks outer border. Not difficult.....just time consuming.

Teresa

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Sylvia is too time consuming and the patterns are inconsistant which require more effort then some. I have a project in mind and have a couple on new BDB to do. Going to play with the diamond pattern that was shown here a little while ago. Just not motivated right now.

• kay6271
    13 years ago

This is a wall hanging I made for my stepdaughter, who collects small creamers & saucers, but ONLY in green & white. I've been unable to find any in antique shops, so I made her some.

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kay, that's a good idea...making her the wall hanging.....she can hang it over her collection display. I've never seen green and white ones either. Does she have many in her collection? I used to collect the small Blue Mountain pottery. I have 4 or 5 pieces but then they weren't around any longer. I haven't seen any in a long time.
    I clicked on your pic but couldn't get it any larger.

Jayne, are you talking about the pattern called Dripping Diamonds? I printed the pic and have some rail fence blocks cut out but now I've decided to use them in another scrappy pattern...a Chinese Coins variation. I cut the RF blocks as 2 1/2" X 6 1/2" strips so they should be good for the stacked 'coins'. I keep changing my mind about things.LOL.

Teresa, didn't realize the center was appliqued circles...thought it was a panel. I can't get a nice, tidy stitch with machine applique...guess it takes a lot of practice.

~Geraldine

• nannykins
    13 years ago

the boxed squares quilt is very similar to one i just gave away to a friend who is dealing with cancer. He uses it every day for his afternoon nap.
    http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z365/nannykins1/boxedsquares.jpg

• nannykins
    13 years ago

I am going to get this right or else

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Good job - posting and making quilt. It's lovely and will mean a lot to him. You've used fabrics that keep it from looking girly so it's perfect.

• kay6271
    13 years ago

Geraldine, she has a WHOLE china closet full of them! She must have been collecting them for a lot of years, and she's just in her mid-30's.

Having a problem figuring out how to resize pic on photobucket. Not sure how to make it larger. Sorry.

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nannykins, glad you got the pic to appear. Your quilt is wonderful. I think the red and blue squares, mixed in with the other colors, give it a masculine but warm-feeling. No wonder he uses it a lot. It will bring him a lot of comfort during a difficult time. It was nice of you to make a quilt for him. And thanks for sharing your quilt with us.

I wasn't sure if I should start this thread. I figured maybe there would be little response. I am glad I did. I loved looking at everyone's quilts...both finished and WIPs.

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

Hi all!

Here is my daughter's quilt top I finished last week. Didn't realize how overwhelming the lime green is until I took this pick!

Two more Quilts for Kids.

Rebecca

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rebecca,wonderful quilts. The backings show off your great quilting. Is that freehand designs? I like the blue one a lot.
    Your daughter will probably love that lime green. Hope you get to show the completed quilt in the February Show and Tell post.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Rebecca, your quilting is wonderful!

I did this quilt top in January and believe I would have finished it if I hadn't had problems with my machine. I'm sure I'll get it done in Feb. It's going to be a small comfort quilt for a friend who will be spending lots of time at the hospital with her adult daughter who's about to start chemo. The backing will be a deep blue Minky, so even rolled up it will make a soft pillow. I'm going to make a matching tote for this quilt and include an insulated pocket for a water bottle and snacks in the tote. The family lived in Japan for a while, so I think they'll enjoy the Mt. Fuji theme and the pretty batiks.

Kate

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

Oh no, not that talented! The quilting was done by a LQS owner that donates her long arm machine and the batting when someone brings in a Quilts for Kids project. She is a beautiful person!

I love seeing everyone's projects! I hope to have a few more completed this month. I have been on a long quilt hiatus and glad to be back in the saddle again.

Rebecca

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Such beautiful quilts ladies!! I would mention each individually, but that would mean a book! LOL The diverse patterns & fabrics are a testament to our many differnet tastes & abilities. Isn't it awesome how we can all participate in such an incredibly adaptable art??! My guess is that if we were each to be given the same pattern OR the same fabrics, we'd still each make something totally different from one another!
    Seeing all the great quilt photos, I've GOT to read up on posting pics!! Just not today - funeral in an hour & after that traveling to the closest LQS (45min) to pick up some fabrics for a RR! Then back home to switch to pickup & get a load of wood before the storm hits. Word now has it that we will get more ice than snow - people are going crazy buying generators!! Is the more accurate weather fore-casting really a help??! Or something the marketing industry came up with to incite panic purchases??! Just wondering... :)

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rebecca, welcome back to quilting!
    Your long-armer sounds like a wonderful, kind, loving person. We hear so much bad stuff on the news but most people are there when they're needed and are good at heart.

Kate, guess you're one of those many kind-hearted people. The quilt is lovely...very pretty batiks. I have never seen minky 'in the flesh'. You can't get it in this area. From what I've heard and seen on the internet, it's soft and warm but it looks slippery. Is it hard to work with?-----does it slip around much?
    You are doing such a wonderful thing for this Mom and I'm sure she'll appreciate it.The matching tote is a great idea.

quiltpartner, you'll have to learn to post pics. I'm not good at explaining things but someone had a post about how to post pics.

~Geraldine

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

quiltpartner...I found the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post pics

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz