Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Ideas for paint in my sewing room?

teresa_nc7
12 years ago

Soon I will begin painting in my house including my sewing room. Any ideas on a good paint color for a quilting 'studio' to make it bright and all-colors-friendly?

Teresa

Comments (17)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

My sewing room is a nice clear yellow...I just love it!

(It's kind of faded now...time to get hubby interested in painting! LOL)

Donna

• calliope
    12 years ago

We just finished the big up and downstairs foyer to our old farmhouse. It was a scaffold job and I started on it fifteen years ago and just couldn't bring myself to finish it. We have a friend who is a contractor, and he came in and wrapped it up in less than two weeks and I'm loving it. It's an 1820s house and windows back then were not generous in either size or quantity. I picked out a light buttercream yellow and I am very satisfied with the brightness and 'feel' of it now. It's one of my fav spaces in the house.

Magothyrivergal made some good points. One not only has to consider what the paint sumliminally suggests, but what kind of light your room has (lots of natural? Mostly artificial?) I am planning on painting the sewing room the same shade as I picked for the foyers. It is uplifting and sunny, radiates fresh, is soft enough it's more of a pastel. My sewing room is the best sun exposure in the house, but I want it to just 'glow'. I'm not a fan of primary shades. I don't want glaring or harsh. I don't want it so neutral and quiet I fall asleep in there either. But OTOH neither do I want it to make such a statement that it's going to clash with my sewing materials. I sort of think it's a good time to go look at chips and bring them home and see how they float your boat.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

my room is in the basement, only a small window at outside grade level. I get absolutely no natural light since the window is under the deck. I painted it a butttercup yellow. It brightened things up considerably.

I use a florescent light in the ceiling as well as two long ones over the quilt frame, as well as a standing lamp that shines up. Without all of these, the yellow wouldn't be enough!

If I recall, you have pretty good natural light in that room. I would think a light yellow or calming light blue would be pleasing and 'neutral' enough. I'm not sure I'd go to any other color pallette... and beige is just too neutral!

HTH

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I have a very pale, calming, silvery blue throughout the house and I love it. It doesn't seem to affect anything else. I would be too distracted by a rich or brilliant color and couldn't stand being cooped up in a very deep or dark-colored room for very long.

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Interesting that a light blue was mentioned as that is what my sister and niece (professionals) suggested. Also, I told them that I didn't want a really strong color because my stash, WIP, UFOs, and blocks on my design wall would be the focus.

I'm going now to sit with my Dad and my sister is coming over too with paint samples.

I haven't mentioned it, but my Dad is resting before the end of his life comes. He is comfortable, well cared for, and kept company by his family. This end has been expected, but we will miss him so much... a wonderful husband, father, and grandfather.

Teresa

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Teresa, Your Dad is a lucky man to have a devoted family by his side. Cherish your last days with him.
    Keeping your family in my prayers.

• meskauskas
    12 years ago

I'm a fan of smoky sage green myself, but I've got to say - if I had a design wall I'd paint that wall eggshell/off white, and the others the sage.

My own sewing room is covered in pansy wallpaper on 3 sides and perriwinkle blue on the 4th - it's what was there when we moved in. I don't have a design wall though - and I choose fabric colors against a white table.

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Teresa, I'm so sorry about your dad. Thankfully, he seems to be at peace. I guess that's all we can ask for at the end.

I'm much too boring in my color choices to make suggestions. I love taupes, khakis and greyish greens. I think you should paint the walls one of your favorite colors. Then you will be happy there.

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Prayers for your dad.
    There are some paint manufacturers that you can go to the website and view the colors in different rooms, you select a type of room and click on the different colors and it paints the room for you, also different trims, it's too cool. It's amazing how you look at a color chip and think it would look good, but when you see a whole room painted with it, a whole different story.

• User
    12 years ago

When I lived in TN I painted two homes in a light creamy yellow and loved it. It changed color to a cream at night with the lights on.

Now, years later, my son just choose a similar color for his home. I don't think you can go wrong with that color.

Monica

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My sister and niece presented me with a 'color scheme' for the entire house and I love all of it. The sewing studio will be 'harbor haze' on the walls and 'whispering spring' on the ceiling with the woodwork and trim 'cotton balls' white - all Benjamin Moore paint.

This process has been so interesting: my sister picked out a yellow for the kitchen that I wasn't keen on and then showed another sample she liked that was the very one I had picked out from looking on the B.Moore web site, called 'squish-squash'. I sent a photo of a living room that I liked by email, and when she opened it -- the wall color was the same as what they had already selected for my walls - but they had not seen my email yet when they selected 'dunmore cream' for the LR. And, I love the color on the "front porch" of the Memory Center where my dad is ---- my sister pulled out the 'palladian blue' that we had chosen for my bathroom and it was spot on the 'porch' color.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Teresa

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Teresa-Ben Moore sells sample jars of paint for many of their colors. Worth the investment, as long as you don't keep buying them :) It helps to see the actual paint on your walls in your setting.
    It sounds like you know what you want. You are very good with color~you just need to get the right paint.
    This family painting/project is good for your soul!
    I am familiar with the color palette your sis & niece presented - it will be beautiful and soothing.

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

Teresa, so sorry to hear about your dad. Our thoughts are all with you.

But as far as the color issue goes, I opened this up to suggest a bright cheery yellow and I can't believe how many others like yellow as well. I painted my son's bedroom yellow (in my other house) when he moved out and I took it over as my sewing room, and I LOVED that room. I seriously think I need a yellow studio in this house...

faye

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I looked that chip up (harbor haze) that you picked and it is very similar to what I have, you have good taste! :) By the way, I do love yellow, too, we painted our house years ago yellow on the outside and everyone told me it looked like a happy, joyful home. Years later I made a huge mistake and wanted something that looked like adobe, well, the comments were ones I really can't repeat here. My daughter-in-law has so many different color samples patched on her walls to compare right now that it looks like a patchwork quilt on the walls, my son just rolls his eyes when we mention it.

• fran1523
    12 years ago

This is Philadelphia Cream by Benjamin Moore. It's light, bright, fairly neutral...only looks yellow in bright sunlight. Sorry about your Dad Teresa. Enjoy your new paint job.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Theresa, I'm sorry about your dad, but it's good to know he's comfortable and resting.

Your color choices look great!

SharonG/FL