Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Need star or pinwheel suggestion!

K8Orlando
12 years ago

Can anyone recommend a fairly easy block that would look great in black and white fabrics, with a small touch of color? Something similar to the block pictured. Preferably one with a good description, like on quilterscache.com or another quilt site. I'm thinking that a star or pinwheel would work well; something interesting enough for an experienced quilter but easy enough not to be too much of a challenge for a beginner.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kate

{{!gwi}}

Comments (21)

• nannykins
    12 years ago

I have done a b&w log cabin with a red centre. Easy!
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

GrammyP's log cabin with red centers was posted last year and I've seen it in person. It's stunning as I'm sure Theresa's is as well. It's on my list. But, I'm also open to ideas. Have tons of B&W to use up.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Kate, Have you thought about a log cabin? White on black for one side, black on white for the other with red or whatever color for the center.

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Can't believe you girls posted while I was also posting! Great minds...... @:)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Louisiana Block - it was my B'Day block for the past 2 years w/ good results.
    Change the colors so the white is the color, and you use black and white print, and a solid white or wow for the background.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great suggestions! I thought about a log cabin but since this is for the lotto I was concerned that most players wouldn't have a big enough variety of black/white and white/black to make it work. I don't want people to feel like they have to go buy lots of fabrics in order to join in.

How about something like the Dutchman's Puzzle? Any white or black on white for the light color, any black or white print on black fabric for the dark. Optional to replace one (and only one) of the black pieces with a bright color. That could make a fun and interesting quilt. And it's a good introduction to flying geese for newbies.

Keep the ideas coming!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutchman's Puzzle instructions

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Do you like this one? Imagine the white a splash of color.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That could be it. I like the Louisiana block and think it could work. I was hoping to keep it to just two colors though instead of three, with the splash of color being an optional replacement for just one piece.

Maybe just a simple pinwheel is the way to go. The more experienced quilters could randomly piece any section to add a wonky bit of color. That probably doesn't make sense so I'll make a couple blocks up to show what I mean.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

scroll down to post by Tiffany 10:19am for a traditional pinwheel.

This blog has alot of pics of pinwheel choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinwheels

• vasu_texas
    12 years ago

Kate,
    I dug up the link to our 2009 Black/White & bright challenge. See if you get bright ideas from them. A number of them are in my long to-do list.
    Vasu

Here is a link that might be useful: 2009 Challenge

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can't recall who did Bright Blocks for Brooke... Mary C? Sharon? Anyone have instructions for that block?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

It wasn't Salijo and me, Kate. Salijo designed Black and White and Loved All Over (remembrance ribbons) and I did the sewing.

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    12 years ago

Kate, the 'Bright Blocks for Brooke' was done by mayme-1.
    I printed a copy of the pic for inspiration and included mayme-1's name. Of course, finding inspiration and following through on inspiration are quite different creatures!

I also included the address with my pic.....if you want to try it.

http://www. ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/quilt/msg0813220812578.html

I tried the address and it brought me to a google site with three results. The third result brought up the post and pic.

~Geraldine

Here is a link that might be useful: google

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have the picture from when we did the Black/White challenge:

This is a great quilt and exactly what I had in mind. It will be easy too: a light and a dark black/white with a little color. Does anyone know if the block has a name?

This picture may show the block better:

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

OMG!OMG!OMG! This is it! or pretty darn close! I have searched extensively for this block since it first appeared. I have even bought a pattern - nope - not it ---I drafted a block, but never got around to making it......
    Donna just posted the BOM from YOUR! Guild! Kate! on a BOM site request. I clicked on it .....and OMG 2009 July block is it!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it! Yippee!
    Thank you Donna & Geraldine~you just never know how what others are looking for or find when you offer & share!

Here is a link that might be useful: BOM JULY 2009

• day2day
    12 years ago

It's somewhat like the 'Squares Within Squares2' block from Quilter's cache.
    Glad you found what you were looking for.

~Geraldine

Here is a link that might be useful: Squares Within Squares 2

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marsha, you rock. I think that BOM from July 2009 will do it. The dimensions aren't quite right but close enough to work. I'll make one up and see how it looks!

A big thanks to everyone who helped in the search!!!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I think the finished 4 square in the above quilt is larger than 12" finished. That would make the difference.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just made two blocks and like the way they look. Thanks again for finding the block. We'll be using this for one of the lottos!
    Kate

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I love it! I want to win!!!!! I admit it right now!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I cannot believe what I did last night! Ordered white on black and black on white fabric just for this lotto! There went the goal of using from my stash. I can't use from my stash if it isn't there, can I?

SharonG/FL