Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

Pic Comfort Quilt finished

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

I started a quilt on Christmas & finished it this week. It is on its way to a lady who needs good thoughts as well as a 'feel good surprise'. I do not know her, she works for my husband & lives in another state. I hope she likes it & it helps her get thru some really dark days.

I used a Bali Pop I had - cotton candy - removed the green & blues & added some lavender & purple Batik to blend with the Purple Ribbon fabric. The backing matches the purple perfectly - has flowers & butterflies if you look closely.

She gardens, so I hope she notices and it makes her smile.

I did not want this quilt to scream Cancer.

I quilted it in ribbons and meanders.

I didn't realize the color is off darn!- I had to take the pics inside.

Comments (32)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Marsha, it's just beautiful. It's sure to brighten her days! I agree with you that it shouldn't scream "cancer"...I imagine anything that can take your mind off it is a blessing.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

It's beautiful. It will be such an amazing surprise for her!

kate

• susan_on
    12 years ago

I love it! Thanks for sharing :)

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I wanted to mention that I used the new Warm & White Blend 50cotton/50poly. I did like it. It did shrink alittle less, and there is a tiny bit more definition in the quilting, even though the batting is thinner. It is expensive - I thought-but I used a 40% off coupon at Joannes - I have a 50% off coupon for this week & if I can get there, I will buy some more.

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

As a new cancer patient myself I can tell you that the quilt does not scream cancer. It's beautiful. Light and bouncy. Like a spring garden.
    I'm sure the person who is receiving the quilt will look at it the same way.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

that quilt is just kewl, and so are you for doing this for someone you don't know. that alone would bolster my spirits if I were the recipient.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

That's just beautiful. Good work, Marsha. You'll make her so happy.

• nannykins
    12 years ago

It is beautiful!!
    Theresa

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

It's gorgeous Marsha, and I agree you have a big heart!!

Carol, I am so sorry and sending blessings your way!
    Rosa

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Very well executed, Marsha! I expect it'll find a warm & welcoming new home!

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

She will be so pleased with your beautiful quilt. She can't miss the charming butterflys and flowers as they fit just right with the rest of the quilt. May her future be as bright as the gift. TFS

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Beautiful color scheme!

I know how much a surprise quilt means to a person. I made one for a friend just recently, and they were overjoyed.

You will certainly warm the heart of recipient!

May I ask what you mean by quilting in ribbons?

Julie

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

Simply Beautiful. And a blessing for someone who needs comfort. Also a blessing for the one who made it.

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

Such a nice pattern that you used, and the colors, wonderful.

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Beautiful and cheerful, what a kind thing to do.

• day2day
    12 years ago

It's beautiful.
    I know she will love it.
    Bless you for your thoughtfulness.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

It's beautiful, Marsha. She'll certainly feel the warmth it was made with.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carol~Thank you for your very kind words and I appreciate your personal view. I am sorry you have become a patient.
    Please keep in touch here~~keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Julie~ I quilted the Awareness Ribbon in addition to the meandering all over the quilt. I'm guessing one of your fancy stitches on your sewing machine utilizes actual ribbons-mine does-I can see the confusion :)

• beth7happy
    12 years ago

soooo pretty!! great colors and happy patterns!

• loisflan
    12 years ago

The quilt is beautiful, Marsha. How kind of you to make it for her.

Is the definition of a Comfort Quilt one that is made for someone with cancer, or can it be for any illness? Are there certain requirements for a CQ (like fabric patterns), or will any fabric and pattern qualify?

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lois - I don't know -- I decided it was made to provide Comfort to someone who could use a Big Hug and Thinking of You message - so I called it a Comfort Quilt. I choose an easy pattern I thought I could make quickly, mostly in cheery fabrics - I had the Bali Pops - added the purple Ribbon awareness to signify the why - and hope it is well received. My husband has worked with her for years - says she will love it.....if there are 'rules' I don't know what they are.
    I am hoping to get cookies when she feels better :) I don't bake ~LOL~~she is a fabulous baker and has sent us cookies in the past :)

• bev2009
    12 years ago

The quilt is beautiful..love the colors. I'm sure she will love it.

• faintheart
    12 years ago

It is sure to provide wonderful comfort and many smiles. Beautiful colors and pattern!

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Oh what a pretty quilt...I'm sure it will be wonderful to snuggle under and bring her comfort in the days ahead.

You are a dear!

Gwen, in Orl

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

A beautiful quilt from someone with a beautiful heart. It can't help but make her feel sunny and cared for.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

A lovily quilt with a lovily thought. I know she will be pleased. TFS

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Marsha...it's absolutely beautiful! Your thoughtfullness in crafting this lovely gift I'm sure will be loved. Hearts and Hugs to you,
    Valarie

• polardream
    11 years ago

Marsha, I didn't see this post the first time. What a beautiful gift - generous and beautifully made. I love your color choices. I have a little tiny piece of that fabric you used as the backing - it is really nice!

Good job!
    Sue

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again. She loved the quilt, and was overjoyed and Oh So Surprised! Her sister , who lives far from her, is a quilter, and sends all her quilts out to be quilted, so she was particularly impressed with my quilting. She noticed all the details, and selections of the fabric and themes.
    She told me her sister was jealous and amazed I would make this for her.
    This is a quilt I will always remember as being truly appreciated, and loved. I wish I had a better picture of it.

She isn't doing well.....so I hope my quilt will bring some comfort to her sister when she needs it.
    I am so pleased I made this for her when I did.

• Joan Dupuis
    11 years ago

It's beautiful. I did the same thing for someone I use to work with (not directly, but same company) 3 or 4 years ago. She has since passed away, so hope her daughter kept it.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

The quilt is beautiful and so is your heart-felt thoughtfulness. She's bound to love it.

Best to you and TFS!,
    Sandra

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I gave a lap-sized quilt to a friend who was going through chemo for ovarian cancer.
    Sadly she did not make it. But at her funeral, her husband told me, "Your quilt gave her great comfort".
    So there we have it, comfort. And I think the knowledge that others are with you in spirit on this wretched journey.
    Theresa