Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quilter_robbi

Do you have a favorite rotary cutter?

Robbi D.
12 years ago

I'm in need of a new one and not sure what brand to try. I currently have an ergonomic left handed one. There is a spring that holds back the cover and it keeps popping off and I'm tired of fighting it. So, what brand should I look at?

Robbi

Comments (10)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Robbi, I had a Fiskars for the longest time...one where you pushed a button on top to pop out the blade and a button on the side to pop it in. It got to the same state - I would pop out the blade but as soon as I put it down to cut it would pop back in.

It had lasted so long I replaced it with the same kind. I haven't had much experience using other kinds. It's nice because you can switch it from right handed to left and it wasn't very expensive, especially if you have a JoAnn's coupon.

It looks like this one except blue.

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiskars

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I prefer the Friskars over the expensive 45mm Martelli ergonomic and Olfa. I've not tried the Olfa ergonomic, so don't know about that one. Friskars seems easier for me to use.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

This is a great question because we all see the variety and I'm sure many of us wonder if the expensive ones are really better. I know I do.

I have the regular orange/gray Fiscars in 2 sizes. I like them both but prefer the smaller one. I've never used any other type.

Kate

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I also use the Fiskars 45mm. I'm very comfortable with it. I had an older one, and the little push tab that retracted the blade broke off, so you couldn't retract it unless you pushed something in there. We sent pictures and a review to Fiskars and they ended up sending me a newly designed cutter...It now has a push button to retract, no longer the tab that can break off.

Good customer service! Can't beat that.

• anitastitch
    12 years ago

I use a blue 45mm Dritz rotary cutter. Fons & Porter makes one just like it, only it's red.
    I like it because you don't have to move the blade up when you're not cutting. The blade goes down when you push down on it, and goes back up when you lift off the mat.
    I also like the grippy handle.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I've got an Olfa. It's my fav, because it's the only one I've ever had. It's easy to change blades, the blade protector is a slide and frankly, I've found ergonomic anythings to be clumsy. It was just the luck of the draw, because I picked it out when I was totally clueless. I've used it heavy four years now, and nothing's wearing out on it, and I'll use it till it dies.

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

Another Fiskars here. Mine is the 45mm blue and green, you grip with your fingers to lower blade and it pops back up when you let go. It also has a button to keep the blade locked in the down/cutting position. It must be okay because I have never cut myself with it and some days I am a klutz around sharp objects. I have never used any other kind so can't say anything about the other brands, although I am curious about those ergonomic ones. The ones that look bent in the middle look interesting but have never seen one out of the packaging so can't determine how it would feel.

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

I have been using my gray/orange Fiskar for 6 years now. Same one still going strong. I have a small Olfa but rarely use it. I used it before on some applique and that was it.

Rebecca

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. It looks like there aren't any bad ones out there. I have a Joann's coupon that came yesterday, so I'll see what I can find.

Robbi

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

My first one was a st. Dritz 45 and the blade engaged with pressure, replaced with a Fiskar [G/O]and I have a second newer model both about the same. I also have a sm.28 st. gr. fiskar. This said: I like my gray fiskars because of the angled handle and the method of opening and closing the blade. I don't like the st. handles on the others so never tried Olfa but perhaps the newer one with the different handle would be fine.