Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

Redwork project finished (pic)

toolgranny
12 years ago

I may have posted this in progress, can't remember. Anyway, finally finished another UFO. You may think I'm ambitious but in actuality, I ran out of safety pins. I went to get my pins to baste a quilt only to find I had so many projects pin basted already that I was out of pins. I could have bought more but was so ashamed of myself, I made myself finish something, anything, just to check it off the list and call it finished. I'm good at making things, not so good at the finishing part.

Anyway, another UFO bites the dust. On to the Hawaiian project.

And, before someone has to ask, the pattern is from Bird Brain Designs, one of my favorite sources.

Comments (19)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Very nice! Is it hand embroidered?

Congratulations on finishing it!

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Beautiful work, Linda.
    I really like the fabrics you chose to go with the Redwork.
    You have such patience!
    Congratulations on getting it finished. Now go hide those safety pins so you will finish another :)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I love the little mittens on the line (Winter) and the hearts on the line (Spring). It's charming and beautifully done!

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

That's too funny Linda!!!! I want to start on learning embroidery so bad BUT I have to finish some projects first!!!

I love your embroidery and the sashing. Thanks for giving the site, I'll have to check it out!!
    Rosa

• bev2009
    12 years ago

The quilt is wonderful. I love the bee hive, I've always wanted to be a bee keeper.

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

This type of embroadery is great to keep by the TV for when the other half keeps flipping channels! I made a red work Christmas stocking for my 2 adult kids, and they loved them.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Congratulations on freeing up your pins!!Just hadn't thought of that as a motivator but I tend to only sandwich what I am working on as I hate that part so much.
    You did a fabulous job with the redwork and choice of fabric to go with it. Can't wait to see what the Hawaiian project looks like. TFS

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing the picture.

• faintheart
    12 years ago

This is such a cute quilt! Your setting is lovely! Makes me wish I hadn't given all my embroidery floss to my 89 yo MIL but she is working on some blocks for me. :-) Thank you for sharing your pattern source. Lots of cute designs!

Dee

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Love it, looks like the old dish towel sets I used to see back in the days.

• calliope
    12 years ago

It evokes such pleasant memories for me. Used to see a lot of old redwork when I was a kid. Probably much of it remnants of the depression era. It's become so rare now, and it took me a lifetime to appreciate it. I particulary like quiltwork made from embroidered blocks. You did such a nice job on this.

• day2day
    12 years ago

It's lovely.
    Years ago, I did redwork for months of the year.
    I made it into a calendar quilt. It hung on my wall for a few years and I gave it to my friend when we moved to our present location.
    I enjoy doing redwork. I don't know why I don't do more of it.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• katy122
    12 years ago

Such beautiful work! I can certainly relate to your delemma with the pins, now get busy and finish another U.F.O. You have inspired me to get busy and I am sure others as well. Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Gorgeous work, Linda. You are so talented!

SharonG/FL

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Very lovely work!

You must have a tremendous amount of patience.

That quilt will become an heirloom, for sure!

Julie

• susan_on
    12 years ago

Very nice! I just love it!

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Love it is this a quilt or a wall hanging ??

• karpet
    12 years ago

Linda, that turned out darling! Makes me want to do a redwork project - someday!

I ran into the same problem with pins last year - I ended up having 5 quilts all pin-basted at the same time so I had to finish them to regain my pins. I didn't want to go buy more as they have really put the price up on them.
    Karlene

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This quilt is about 32" wide and 36" long. It's embroidery, using 12wt sulky thread on a spool instead of embroidery floss. Much easier to work with and leaves a nice, clear line.

It didn't free up nearly enough pins so will scramble around today and see what else I have. I suppose I could buy more but I'm thrifty.