Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

QOTD- 1/7/12 What size is your can?

jennifer_in_va
12 years ago

What size trash can do you have in your studio?

I have a little bathroom-sized trash can ... actually it's smaller than the one in my bathroom! It seems to fill quickly, and every time I'm down there trying to stuff more it it, I say to myself "Why don't I have a bigger trash can?" But I never seem to think about it when I might actually buy a bigger one.

I think I would probably have a 20 gallon can if I had the space in the room!

So, what size is your can?

Comments (26)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I have a fairly small one, too...not as small as many bathroom wastebaskets, but pretty small. And it gets emptied fairly often, too!

Donna

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I have four, near every possible spot I might cut, sew or quilt. Three are small and fourth is like a large kitchen trash can. I know, I know....

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Mine is medium.....a large Walmart bag size. And I also have a big jar I put trimmings in to throw out in the jungle. If I had room, I think it would be fun to cover a 5 gal bucket. heh heh heh

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Tall, kitchen trash can size. And I fill it up fast!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oooooo, Sharon! Good Idea! I have extra 5 gallon buckets just sitting around. I could do something with one of them...make a skirt or something to tie around the top.

The bucket itself would easily be bigger than what I have now! Thanks!

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I have 2 large kitched size trash bins both get full pretty fast. One at the cutting area the other by the machine. For a while I only put fabric scraps in the one by the cutting area and made a pet pillow but gave up on that, now anything goes.

• User
    12 years ago

Very small but I keep a brown bag for scraps that I don't want. Every month when I attend my Linus Connection meeting, I bring the brown bag and empty it. There are a couple of ladies who love small and tiny pieces. I dislike tiny pieces.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Hummm, well, I have a desk-sized waste can by the sewing machine.

I also have a full-on outside sized garbage can on wheels. 33 gallon bags are a bit small for it, LOL. I keep it near the cutting table, and I can just sweep things from the table directly into the trash can.

When doing upholstery work I'd fill it weekly. Now, it lasts about 3 months. I empty the waste can into the big one at least weekly (more if it's allergy season...it's always allergy season!).

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I have a small one that fits under my desk and it gets emptied pretty often. If I could just get my son to put his snack trash in the kitchen it would not get full so fast, but I guess I should not be complaining as at least he is putting it in a trash can and not leaving a mess in his room. My sewing desk is in 1 corner of a rather large laundry room and is the pass through area to several rooms so am in a high traffic area with 3 different doors constantly opening and closing. I wish I had a room solely dedicated to just sewing with more than 1 work surface. One saving grace is though that the ironing board is stored in the laundry room so at least that is handy. Sorry it is late and I am rambling on.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I wasn't sure exactly what can you were talking about.

I have 3 in my sewing room. Two are bathroom size, but one is a tall square gift box something came in. It fits under my cutting table beside my machine. I line it with a plastic shopping bag and toss my small scraps in it. When it is full, it will stuff a pillow or something.

beverly

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

Haha, I think I read this the same as Beverly.

But now that I understand the real question... I have a large old mixing bowl sitting on my cutting table that I just toss stuff in. I do have a wastecan, probably medium size, but I usually just empty the bowl into the main trash, so it rarely gets used.

Faye

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I just have a standard office-sized one and it's always brimming. Hilarious what kinds of things we will discuss here! LOL! Love it.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think Beverly & Faye may know me too well!! ;)

Got your attention, didn't I?

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

I have two medium tall trash cans - one beside my sewing table and one at the cutting table.... and would not have anything smaller! But I don't want one huge one inconveniently located taking up more floor space.

Teresa

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Yes, you did get our attention.

beverly

• calliope
    12 years ago

I was LOL when I read it as well. I'm thinking to myself, not too large. I am a tall woman and only take a size twelve trouser.

I'd say my sewing room waste basket would hold three gallons. I empty it daily but I don't throw away anything but the smallest of crumbs and thread scraps. I could do a whole quilt and not have a basket full of waste.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Jennifer, If you make a covering for your can, we'd like to see it. *grin*

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OH!! I'll show you my can!!! I will!!! *bigger grin*

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

"Honey, does this quilt make my can look big?"

• meskauskas
    12 years ago

I have a small bathroom sized one too, and like everyone else, it's always brimming.

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

I have a tall kitchen size that I use for both quilting/sewing scraps as well as "office debris"! I line it with a plastic bag and empty as needed.
    BTW, I thought this post was about dieting....reducing the size of your can....lol

• vicky4x4
    12 years ago

I had to laugh at this one! I was wondering what on earth! but I get it now.

I use a box with a grocery bag inside of it. It's about the size of a bathroom trash can.

Vicky~

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Well, it used to be a 6 Petite - now it is a 36 Quart!
    I think I ate too many scraps in years past :)

• calliope
    12 years ago

Kate.........I burst out laughing so hard my husband asked me what I was reading.

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

I have two. One is small and I have it lined with a fabric pillow case. In that one goes everything that is too tiny to use again. When it's full I stitch up the end and pass the pillow on to a friend of mine that does animal rescue. He then uses the pillow for some of the animals he helps save.
    The other container is a 5 gal. bucket. Once it gets full I try hard to sit down and make a quilt with the scraps from it.
    Amazing how much scrap material there is left over from different projects. When the grandkids are here I will sometimes give them the bucket and ask them to go thru and sort the fabrics by color. They think it's a great game.

• karpet
    12 years ago

I have no can! I throw my clippings on the floor and pick them up at the end of a sewing session to toss in my kitchen trash. I keep everything an inch and wider, so there isn't much to toss. Why do I keep everything an inch or wider? Because..... (anyone feeling sorry for my DH right about now?)
    Karlene