Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Jan. 24-26

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I am finishing some blocks that I started last year. I started the "Hello Moon" BOM in 2013 but only did the first four months. I lost interest when the blocks were not available at the start of the month. Today I made the four blocks into a small wall hanging. I haven't decided if I want to add a border to make it larger or finish it without a border. It is 18" square.
I also have to make a t-shirt quilt for a young man who will graduate high school in May. His mom brought the shirts last Saturday and I'm still trying to decide how I want to make it. She said it is completely up to me to decide which shirts to use and how to design it.
We are having very cold temperatures, below zero F, and snow and high winds are predicted for the weekend. I plan to stay inside and sew!
What are you working on this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (20)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Celtic Solstice....(surprise, surprise). I'm getting very close to needing to put it away. I was hoping to finish the top before I hit that point; we'll see.

We bought new cookware the other night, so another weekend project will be rearranging things in the kitchen, since the new set of pots and pans is different from the old set. I told DH last night that now that we got new cookware we have to remodel the kitchen. :)

Donna

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

We've got company coming so I don't think I'll be getting much quilting done. :~((

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

I'm about to leave for sit and sew for the first time in a few months... dusted off and oiled the vintage machine last night so he gets a night out on the town for once....

I connected with a lady who has the same Bernina I do and we've been e-mailing novels back and forth about sewing all week long... we're becoming fast friends and it's a blast :o)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Hope so, I got Isaiah's quilt sandwiched this afternoon and now to figure out what to do with it! It's one of the Wickedly Easy patterns, I just might try some loop-de-loops and see if it looks decent enough.

Linda, I get discouraged when the patterns aren't posted when they're supposed to be, too. Figure I don't need that kind of stress. I think you're wise to just finish what you have and call it done.

Donna, I don't see the problem....new cookware always means remodel the kitchen, doesn't it? lol

Enjoy your company, Kate. It's supposed to be a little warmer, so that might help if you plan to be out and about.

Bobby, Your Bernina lady friend sounds like someone you're having fun with. Have fun with your sit and sew group.....I'm pretty sure they miss you when you aren't there. :-)

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I have told myself that I cannot start another project even though I want to, until I finish DGS's quilt. Today I cut the sashing strips and started sewing them on the finished blocks.
    Very cold and windy here so tomorrow will be a good day for staying in and sewing.
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

We had fun playing in the snow this morning and I spent my afternoon crocheting on an afgan I am making. Probably tomorrow while the snow is melting will work on my SBS blocks or granny square blocks, will have to see what I am in in the mood to work on tomorrow. I need to sit down and make plastic templates for the SBS blocks - am wanting them to be scrappy, but may try for an overall color chart.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Thanks, Sharon... I'm just back from the sit and sew and it was fun. Everyone seemed to miss me :o) The host even had the fireplace going and I got lots of strips sewn together for a scrappy Irish Chain I want to make... It was nice to be able to do some mindless sewing... just long straight lines :o) The food was great and I actually got something accomplished this time....

Everyone drooled over the vintage machine... I wish the Bernina turned heads like that, I'm more proud of it LOL

Donna... I met someone who knows you from the guild! Her name is Willa... she's really into hand crank and treadle machines... she also knows the lady who sold me the vintage Brother years ago!

I also bought a magnetic seam guide from the host to use on the vintage machines (the other machines have a sliding seam guide or quarter inch foot, but I needed something to help with this one)

Yeah, Sharon, the Bernina lady and I are having so much fun, but we are a really bad influence on each other! Both enablers... and so is her husband who is just learning to make his first quilt and also getting into vintage machines! She's even hinted at coming down to FL from Alabama to meet me and go hit some estate sales... I think this could be the beginning of a very dangerous friendship! I see wall to wall sewing machines covering all all the vacuums in my future :p

Kate, enjoy your company...

Donna... new cookware is fun, enjoy using it!

Sharon, hope you get some stuff accomplished this weekend.

Theresa, it is hard to not want to start a new project! I know I always either get bored or frustrated with current projects, but with a new one, there's a world of possibilities and I always imagine everything turning out perfectly at the beginning!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Bobby, I love Willa! She is so nice. She's also into crazy quilts.

Well, I managed to store the new cookware the same way the old stuff was. I only had one big pasta pot to find a home for, and I rearranged things a little and took care of it. Mark was relieved it didn't cost him anything! LOL

Donna

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I have two things on my hot list. I need to figure out how to set up tables to pin baste mother's quilt. Once pin basted, I can start the FMQ in bits and starts as I am able.

I also have the New Years mystery blocks done and in strips almost together. I'll try and do that since it is so close. I won't quilt it yet but putting the top away till I have a home for it is "done" in my book. I did it in Civil War fabrics and I like the way it looks. Not sure about borders yet.

I have some applique work on a table runner I can take to work today. I'm running out of things I can do at work. I may have to dream up a new project just to go to work with me.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Okay, it was definitely time to stop for lunch.

I was assembling 10 of the 54-40 or fight blocks for Celtic Solstice. I had the units sewn into strips and sewed the first 2 strips together. After the first one I decided I wanted the other strip on top, so I turned everything over. Evidently I turned one set of strips around, too, b/c when I went to press them the first one was right and the other 9 were wrong! ARGH!

I started un-stitching and re-sewing, and found one of the strips had one of the star points turned sideways! So, more un-stitching.

That's when I stopped for lunch. I'm about to try again...

Donna

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Donna if something like that happened to me, I'd have to eat a bucket of fried chicken, a chocolate silk pie, and probably two glasses of coke and rum to get over it! Hope you handle sewing stress better and that there isn't any more to handle!

How's the Baby Lock?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Surprise, surprise.......some of the quilting is done on this quilt I'm working on. woooohoooooo

SharonG/FL

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Bobby, I have that same magnetic piece for my Featherweight, it works well unless I hit it or put too much pressure on it. May I ask, which vintage Bernina do you have?

Donna, you sound so serene. I'd probably be stuffing it all back into a bin for a time out.

I managed to get some machine time today and finished the paper piecing sampler from last weeks workshop. Then I got out my Baltimore album and appliqued some off-block flowers.
    Next month I'm taking a workshop through our guild with Harriet Hagrave, so I'm saving this paper piecing workshop piece to machine quilt after the workshop.

We are in the process of building a new home, and I'm getting a dedicated studio that is Huge and awesome. I plan to use all my workshop pieces as wall art in my studio.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Yes, I've sneaked into the sewing room for an hour here and there, and am also working on the New Year's mystery quilt. Mine is quite depression era influenced, and scrappy. It's been a fun one to work on, and I'm glad I decided to make my first ever mystery quilt. Thanks for posting about it.

If I do another one, and it's a possibility, I will make the lighter fabric in all the HSTs white or cream to make it less busy.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Still making baby sea turtles.

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Sharon, congrats on getting *something* done! One of these days, we need to try the FL get together thing again LOL I'm using the bags you sent me for the Nina accessories and loving them... so much easier than the "Barbie boxes"...

Marj, the Bernina is relatively modern (even though it could be considered vintage by today's standards since it's from 2002!) The Brother is the vintage one, from the 50s.... I agree... the guide helps quite a bit, but is easy to move accidentally!

Lois, your sea turtles are great! My favorite is the one on the top of the picture... that fabric is so perfect for the shell! Are they coasters? I missed it if you said what they were!

This post was edited by vacuumfreak on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 22:05

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Bobby, the turtles are for a quilt called Baby Honu by Lisa Boyer.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

LOL, Bobby! I managed to get the 10 blocks done yesterday and today I've pieced a 2-strip segment. Now I'm thinking about doing a 10 x 12 layout instead of 11 x 11. :)

Lois, the turtles are adorable! I think they'd make cute potholders or mug rugs, too.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Marji, A new home with a dedicated sewing studio! Lucky you!!
    Calliope, When I do a Depression Block, I like to have a distinct light and dark between the 2 sides. It seems to make the pattern 'pop' better. But, there are times a muted look is desired, too.
    Lois, Your turtles are so cute! And, they're green....watch out, Beverly might snag them. lol
    You're welcome, Bobby. Glad you like them and they are useful......I like that they're clear and I can see what's in them. :-)
    TG/Linda, Can't believe you're running out of things to work on. How about doing a reverse redwork project?
    Donna, It makes me so frustrated when something like that happens......don't want it to get the best of me and it looks like you're the same way. I. Will. Get. This. Right! lol

I'm doing a grid on this quilt and using the blue painter's tape. It's working out pretty well. I just might be able to get it up there before the shower after all......maybe. :-)

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Sharon glad you are getting some quilting done. Donna I like your determination, keep on trying. Lois I like your turtles. I am undecided about my color scheme for my SBS blocks so have set that project aside for now. I am having fun hand piecing granny square blocks this weekend and that enables me to work from my stash. I got 2 granny square blocks made, it feels good to be quilting again.

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 20:13

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz