Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buteau3rd

A math problem/baby quilt

buteau3rd
14 years ago

I was given some 7.5" squares and extra fabric to finish a baby quilt. (36x52,+/-) If I use sashing about 1.5, how should I divide the squares. I have only 12 squares now, but enough fabric to make more. Too confusing. I usually use a pattern.

Comments (10)

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

Your squares are going to finish out to 7 inches after the seam allowances, and you'll have a sashing between each square and two sashings on the outsides for a border.

Width: (four squares) + (five sashes)
    (4 x 7) + (5 x 1.5)
    28 + 7.5 = 35.5 inches

Length: (six squares) + (seven sashes)
    (6 x 7) + (7 x 1.5)
    42 + 10.5 = 52.5 inches

That's what I think. I showed my work so if I'm wrong people can correct me. I'm not exactly math confident myself, LOL!

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks petalpatsy......it sounds so easy when someone else figures it out for you. The size is just what I thought it should be. I spent most of the day putting the extra blocks together.....but found that I am 3 blocks short. So I guess it will only have 5 vertical blocks. Sometimes, ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.
    Thanks again, I appreciate the quick response.
    Marge

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

That will be a nice size for a baby quilt anyway. :)

• chickadee__3a
    14 years ago

Since you have extra fabric you could always add on a border or two to make it bigger if it isn't the size you want. If the extra fabric isn't big enough you could make a scrappy border.

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, I now have the sashing on and it measures 36x45. I went to Joann's and found one of the fabrics used in the 9 patches, and bought 1.5 yds. Thinking of adding a border. How does a 4.5 (cut)sound? This would make it 44x53....Too big?
    It's been so long that I can't remember how big a crib is.

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

A crib mattress is 27 x 52. You get different answers on standard sized for a crib quilt. My Fons and Porter book says 36 x 54 and a "learn to quilt online" site says 40 x 56. I think the one I made was 42 x 42 and that's how I left it.

A lot of handmade quilts are 36-38 inches wide because then you can use standard width fabric for the backing without having to piece a backing. I wound up getting extra wide fabric and cutting it down.

Another thing is that a crib size batting is sold at 45 x 60. If your quilt is 44 inches wide, that won't give you much extra on the sides when you sandwich it up, so you won't have much room for error when you baste/pin and quilt it up.

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Um, well, this might be controversial, so if you have a different opinion, I'm OK with that.

I no longer make "crib quilts". I make "play quilts" or "baby quilts". The size doesn't matter.

The American Pediatric Society (no, I didn't google them this time) recommends NO bedding at all in a crib. They don't care for crib bumpers or anything in the crib at all.

That said, I usually make my baby quilts about 38 x 45, or some variant of that. I try to keep the width to 40" or under, so I can use one length of fabric for the backing.

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In the end, it doesn't make a whole lot of differenc, I guess, what exact size it is. I think I just wanted it to be in proportion. It ended up looking fine after I added the border, which made it 44x53.
    Thanks for the support....that's is really all I needed.
    What a wonderful support system this has been. I have learned so very much from everyone, just reading others questions and your answers
    Marge

• rsr318_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

How much larger do you need your backing and your batting compared to your top quilted piece before putting on binding. I am a novice at this and am learning as I go. Is there a method to the actual machine quilting as far as when you use a block with an applique..should I just quilt around the outline of the applique in that block? and do random designs in the plain blocks? Also do you need to stitch in the ditch around every block prior to quilting inside the block? Thanks for your help.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

How much larger do you need your backing and your batting compared to your top quilted piece before putting on binding. ===>Generally, 3-4" on all sides so there's room to smooth out the top as you're basting it. If you're sending it out to a quilter, then you'll need to ask their requirements.

Is there a method to the actual machine quilting as far as when you use a block with an applique..should I just quilt around the outline of the applique in that block? and do random designs in the plain blocks? ===>Sure. The quilting is really up to you...there's no right/wrong answer here. But quilting around an applique is a good start, with a design on the plain blocks working well too.

Also do you need to stitch in the ditch around every block prior to quilting inside the block? ===>This will depend a lot on the size of the quilt, the kind of batting you use, and the intended use. The batting package or instructions will tell you how far apart the quilting can be. A large quilt may require more, as might a toddler's quilt that will be washed more frequently. If you intend to quilt around applique blocks and in the middle of plain blocks, you probably don't need to stitch in the ditch.

===>Another comment about the amount of quilting. The more dense the quilting, the stiffer the quilt. Polyester batting will make the quilt lighter and fluffier. [More can be said about batting choices and preferences, but we won't go into that now.]

Hope this helps you out.
    Jennifer

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler