Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What machine stitch length for stitching in the ditch?

Posted by babushka_cat (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 14:29

Hi all,
I had my intro Bernina class yesterday and am now attempting to finish the first small UFO -a wall hanging! I am stitching in the ditch first. What stitch length do you recommend? My stitches seem pretty small, perhaps too small....
Any other tips you are are appreciated. I have the walking foot on, they taught me how to use it! yeah!

Babushka in CA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What machine stitch length for stitching in the ditch?

I love my walking foot and use it most of the time. I don't have a standard stitch length for SITD but it is usually somewhere around 8/inch.

beverly

o
RE: What machine stitch length for stitching in the ditch?

It depends on the finished effect you want, which depends on the size and type of thread used. Heavier thread and larger stitches will emphasize the outline while lightweight thread and smaller stitches will more likely visually "disappear". Transparent monofilament is popular because it 'disappears' best -- and it also doesn't visually shriek if the stitches aren't always quite in the ditch. Practice on a working scrap (same materials as the finished quilt but in a 12" square) so that you can see the different effects. Do use a quilting needle in the machine and remember to check that top and bottom threads are balanced... quilting is different from piecing and one usually has to tighten or loosen the tension.

I usually use approximately 12 to the inch when I want the blocks to be outlined but not emphasized.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here