Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim0201

Baby quilt pattern suggestion plz?

kim0201
9 years ago

I selected two fabrics (medium yellow and a darker purple) along with a solid white as colors for a baby quilt without having an exact pattern in mind. I live 90 minutes from the nearest fabric store and made my selections somewhat hurriedly. Now I'm questioning my wisdom. (Haha). I've been looking online and am leaning towards a rail fence or HST chevron pattern. Other suggestions?

Thank you and happy quilting.

Comments (20)

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

An Irish Chain pattern works well using solid white background. It the purple is very strong, you can use yellow squares with just a purple center square and purple as the inner border. It's fast and easy and quilts up nicely because you can do diagonal lines through the colored squares and something fancier in the middle of the white part.

• kim0201
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Toolgranny. The quilt in your photo is beautiful.

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

thanks but don't let the quilting scare you. You just do straight lines and then trace a pattern onto the white squares using a template. Then you practice a bit on scraps till you can make your machine follow your pattern. It's not as hard as this quilt makes it look.

• kim0201
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was intimidated with the beautiful quilting. :) I was curious if you remember the approximate size of your nine-patch block. Or are your blocks 25 patch? Trying to figure it from the photo. I did check Pinterest for ideas too. Thanks.

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

A double Irish chain would be another option with your three colors...there are lots of easy patterns for three colors. I would recommend browsing www.quliterscache.com. You'll find lots there.

• new2quilting
    9 years ago

Rail fences are fun. If you want to try the rail fence make one test block first and make sure your seam allowance is a correct 1/4" (for example if uses 2.5" strips finishes at 6.5"). Since one block goes vertical and one horizontal it needs to end up square and little variances on the seam allowance can get the block off. As me how I know :-)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Pinwheel or wonky pinwheels are another option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wonky Pinwheel

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

The nice thing about Sharon's is that there are no seams to match. I vote for the wonky.

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I like the the HST chevron / zig zag quilts - very modern looking and easy to quilt, and very popular right now.
    I also like the the wonky pinwheels posted by geezerfolks, and as pointed out, no seams or points to match or worry about!
    I think your colors will be pretty together.
    Jump in, and enjoy!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Here's the directions for the wonky. I didn't make a template, just used the ruler.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Wonky Pinwheel Tutorial

• kim0201
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thank you all for chiming in with such wonderful comments. If I can figure out how to post a photo when finished I will do so. At the very least I will let you know what I come up with. :)

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I think pinwheels and prairie points could look great in those colors too. The pattern is free on-line.

• kim0201
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Loisf....thank you for sharing the photo. I assume it's one of your quilts. It is wonderful!

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I did a disappearing 4 patch that would work with 3 colors.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I think I did the same thing Theresa. Just need to make sure the fabric is facing upward if cutting more than one at a time.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Linda...your quilting is beautiful!
    V.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Recently made three baby sized quilts. Two of them were the first time for me to EVER follow a pattern! They were easy, used three colors (prints) of 1 yard each. I've done "Picture Frame" and "Oh So Sweet" ..both were about the perfect size for baby quilts. The pic here is just the top, before I finished.

The patterns are free here:
    http://woodvalleydesigns.com/3YardPatterns.htm

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

This is another of the three yard quilts that I did for a handsome baby! The colors are 'quiet' because I wanted a bit of a 'vintage' look, and added a brown backing! love the front and back equally on this one. Sorry, I just didn't know how to post two pictures at the same time.

• kim0201
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my ladies...your quilts are striking. Thank you for sharing with us all. I will remember the info on the wonky pinwheel. I'm leaning towards trying that pattern...yellow pinwheels, purple pinwheels and white sashing.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio