Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I did it! I did it! Hawaiian project finished! (pic)

Posted by toolgranny (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 13:40

It's been a long one, and my echo quilting won't ever win any prizes, but I finally got it finished and hung. Our trip to the islands last year was the inspiration for this and since I couldn't see myself doing a whole-cloth one, I thought I could handle sampler blocks. I could have trimmed them a bit smaller now that I see it done. Oh well.
Hawaii, Hawaiian Sampler Quilt 2012

I have an old book I found in a thrift store with 25 patterns and used some of those. I used this specific size to fill a space that badly needed it. It is 43" wide by 80" long. Note, that means one width of fabric worked for the backing. I do have my moments of brilliance.

This is all needle turn applique using various bright, multi color batiks. That seems to be the fad thing with Hawaiian quilts these days. It was hard to choose fabrics as there are so many wonderful ones. I had to line them up and let my quilting friends vote.

Boy, am I glad that is finished. But, now I have nothing to applique. Boo hoo!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I did it! I did it! Hawaiian project finished! (pic)

stunning!!!!
Theresa

o

That turned out TERRIFIC!!!! Sure does finish up nicely!

If you need applique, I'm sure I can find something for you to do! lol

o

It's beautiful!!

~Geraldine

o

That's a stunner. I've just recently learned about Hawaiian prints from this site and the patterns are beautiful.

o

Absolutely Gorgeous!! You should be very proud of your work.
You have such patience. The colors and shades of the Batiks are perfect for the movement and texture of the rock/stone wall.

I think you will be working on another applique project probably by the time you read this post~LOL~or at least have one swirling in your head!

o

I do Marsha - and the magic word is Becky Goldsmith!

o

WOW! That was what came out of my mouth when I opened this. I really like it all! The colors and fabric are perfect. I have been giving some thought to doing some applique when I finish quilting SBQ and now I am motivated.

Not reverse applique right??
Beautiful. Love it. Jayne

o

It's really beautiful! Your sashing and border fabrics work perfectly with the blocks. And I think if you'd trimmed them smaller they would look squished...they look great as is.

Donna

o

Stunning!!! The fabrics are so beautiful too.
Linda OH

o

OMGoodness....more inspiration! Love it.

o

LOVE IT! Can't wait to share this with my quilting buddy. She loves batiks and the Hawaiian designs. Great Job!
Darlene

o

OMG, what an awesome work of art!

I wouldn't have the patience to do needle turn applique.

You are extremely gifted!!!

Julie

o

It is a work of art Linda!!! I agree with everyone, it matches the wall perfectly. I have a Hawaiian applique book but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet!
Rosa

o

Absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful way to remember your trip. I'm so impressed with your applique skills. Have I got a UFO for you to finish up for me??!!!

Teresa

o

Oh, I think your wall hanging is magnificent! I couldn't imagine myself doing all that hand work. The colors are wonderful; the spacing is perfect, in my opinion.

I love the Hawaiian applique, but I would have to start with one small pattern, otherwise I know it would remain a UFO forever. Lovely work.

o

Speechless! Beautiful

o

It's breathtaking, Linda......just beautiful!

SharonG/FL

o

Wow, that is breathtakingly beautiful. The colors blend so nicely. Don't know that I'd have the patience or skill for all that applique. I too love the batiks.

o

Oh, I love it. I know you will find some applique to do.

beverly

o

Just Fabulous...beautifully done. Congratulations!
V.

o

Beautiful! I love the look of applique but alas, applique and I are not friends! Especially needleturn...ugh! If you ever find yourself in need, I have a couple of (shudder)applique projects that you could work on. I signed up for them at weak moments and there they sit in their boxes for a long time!

Mary

o

It's beautful! You should be proud.

o

OH... my goodness, stunning.

o

That is gorgeous!! One day, I'll get up the courage to try needle-turn applique. It makes such a beautiful work of art.

o

It is beautiful!! And being a needle turn applique lover, I understand all those inside curves and points :-) I also love batiks, so what isn't to love about this quilt?!!

Robbi

o

Linda, that is stunning. Those batiks are gorgeous and your needle turn is perfect as always.

o

Fabulous! I would love to know the name of the Sampler book you used! I would really like to make a Hawaiian Sampler as my next project :-) Thanks for the great picture & inspiration! Jackie

o

I can't imagine why I didn't comment on this beauty when it was first posted but I'm glad it popped back to the top of the page. The word 'stunning' has already been used but its the perfect word for this quilt. Stunning!

o

Jackie - Sorry, can't find the book right now. May have loaned it to another quilter here. It was about 30 years old and I found it in a thrift shop. It had full size patterns, 1/8 of a block, for about 24 block designs. If I find it soon, I'll send you an e-mail offline.

o

If I were the judge, you certainly would win a prize for your lovely work! I can't imagine that I will ever achieve something that beautiful and precise. I've never heard of echo quilting - boy do I have a lot to learn. Thank you for showing yet another artistic endeavour of your expert quilting.

Best Wishes - Corinne

o

this is the book the patterns came from. I thought it was out of print till I saw them at a quilt show yesterday. Apparently it is still very popular.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaiian Quilting book

o

I love your fabric choices. I have the same book but I've tried only two of the patterns so far - one for a birthday block and one for a place mat. I didn't care much for the traditional bright colors on white background. They look great with the muted batiks you've used.
Vasu

o

Thank you so much for the book information! I am going to order it & make it my next project in hot bold colors with cream or white background. I really appreciate your help & inspiration :-) Best wishes from New Zealand :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here