Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Sharing my first attempt at quilting

donna_loomis
11 years ago

Please be gentle. Never done this before. But I have finally finished the hand applique on the crib quilt top that I am making for my great nephew. Next comes the actual quilting. I work full time and don't get to spend as much time as I would like on my crafting. However, last Friday night someone created some time off work for me and I got it done. On my way home from work, someone rear-ended my car and sent me over a 300-foot embankment. The car rolled onto it's roof and slid down the embankment back-end first, then rolled right-side up at the bottom. I amazed everyone by walking away from the accident with only some bruises, a few scratches, and a sore head and neck. DH wouldn't let me come to work Monday and Tuesday, so I had a four day weekend with nothing else to do (they wouldn't even let me wash dishes).

Hopefully I get these pictures posted correctly.

Comments (26)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Hi, Donna! I know you from the knitting forum. I'm so sorry about your accident - it sounds terrifying! You are truly blessed to have not been hurt worse. Is your poor car totaled?

I just love your quilt! Your applique looks great to me! I like the plaid fish.

Donna

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Hi Donna,
    Welcome to the Quilting Forum! Love the quilt as I am sure your great-nephew and his parents will!
    What a miracle that you walked away with such minor injuries but do take care of yourself, that was not a minor accident.

Maryv

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna, thank you for the kind words. I was/am concerned that the picture, which is 12 inches by 28 inches might be a bit busy, but it is what it is. And Mommy is doing the baby's room in turtles, and I wanted to follow the theme and yet be just a bit different.

The insurance company hasn't seen the car yet, but based on the information I gave them, they are pretty sure it's a total loss.

• grammyp
    11 years ago

What a scary day. I am so glad you are ok, cars can be replaced. Welcome to the quilt forum, I love your turtle and think you did a great job.

beverly

• calliope
    11 years ago

I love it how a novice quilter will do something even more advanced quilters won't attempt (in my case a rather intricate applique) and and not know how wonderful it is. Nice first quilt. Bravo.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

The angels were riding with you that day for sure. It had to be a terrifying experience but so happy you weren't seriously hurt. Cars can be replaced but people can't.
    Your quilt is wonderful, difficult to believe it is your first one. Great job now get comfortable and make some more.TFS.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Welcome. I have found everyone to be gentle here with us novices. Your quilt is adorable and I'm so glad you walked away unscathed.

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Beautiful job on the quilt!

It IS amazing that you walked away from that terrible ordeal. Take care of the head and neck! Let us know how you are doing...

Gwen

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

oh my gosh, Donna! LOVE the little quilt!!! Very pretty and cleverly done!! The car??? ummm...not so much!!! GLAD you got out of THAT one!!!!

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Welcome!!!I have been on different forums (soap was one) where the members were brutal to the newbies questions lol!!!

NOT HERE - I love this forum - everyone goes out of their way to share.

Gorgeous quilt, I don't think it is too busy at all, babies love busy.

Glad you are OK, I probably would have stopped driving completely after that "A" ride!!
    Rosa

• User
    11 years ago

God was definitely watching out for you, glad you are ok. The quilt you made is beautiful! And for it to be your first quilt it is outstanding! I love hand appliqueing.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I love your quilt. I think the fabrics you chose for the turtle shell and fish are just perfect. I've never done hand applique, but yours looks great. Good job!

And I'm so happy that you survived the crash in such good shape. What an experience! Welcome to quilting. Lois

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

How horrible! Glad you were able to leave the accident with so few injuries. Used to think "minor injuries" were nothing, but even those can make major changes sometimes. Be careful with yourself as you heal. What a great family to treat you so well.

Your quilt is wonderful. Bet your hooked for good now!
    LindaB/CA

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

There was an angel watching over you...so glad you are ok!

Welcome...I only joined this forum a year or so ago and it's wonderful...everyone is welcoming and generous.

Your quilt is Amazing..I've not done applique, but marvel at all who accomplish this skill...well done it's really adorable!

Welcome to the forum and don't be a stranger.

V.

• polardream
    11 years ago

Welcome, Donna! And thank goodness you were okay after what appears to be a terrifying accident.
    Your quilt is just wonderful! I love the fabric you picked for the fish. You did a beautiful job with the applique - I am sure they will love it!
    Keep up the great work.
    Sue/polardream

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Donna, Very well done!! The fabric you chose for the fishies, stars and turtle are right on! Thank you so much for sharing......we like pictures!

I'm also glad you weren't seriously injured. Looks like a new vehicle will be in your future.

SharonG/FL

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

Hi Donna! Welcome to the Quilting Forum. Your quilt is beautiful and will be loved by the child and parents. Great work - I love doing applique as well.

tinyteena(Kristene) from Australia

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Beautiful job, Donna and great fabric choices. I have yet to attempt any applique, although it is definitely on my "wanna do" list...........amazing that you were able to walk away from that car!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Wow, Donna! You need to rename yourself "miraclequilter"! What a horrible experience that must have been. My sister-in-law had a similar incident a few years ago and survived it, but needed 3 surgeries on her face/eye to repair the damage. You are one lucky quilter!

Your quilt is adorable and it looks like you've done a great job. Don't feel badly about not having time to get to everything; I work full time too and have to get my quilting done in spurts, whenever I can steal time from something else that needs to be done. But it's worth it!

Kate

• Vanislegirl88
    11 years ago

Welcome Donna, I would have been terrified if that happened to me, but I'm glad that you weren't hurt worse. My first quilt was an applique too. Nice job. I love the pattern and the colours.

• wendyfaye
    11 years ago

Holy Smokes Donna!! I'd love to free up a couple of days to quilt too, but I'm definitely not going to your extremes to get it. ;) Glad you are ok, and I love your little quilt.

Faye

• bozogardener
    11 years ago

Wonderful job on the applique! Pretty quilt.

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words. Today was a MUCH better Friday than last Friday and I hope to get my sandwich prepared this weekend so I can start the quilting. DH will be driving me back and forth to work and home for a while, so I will be quilting while he's driving. I have found that for the moment I prefer not watching the road, LOL.

• colleenny
    11 years ago

Welcome Donna, How pretty that is. I am not much of an applique person, so I don't think I would try that but you did a great job. The angels must have been with you that day. Take advantage of not being allowed to do any work. Colleen

• petalpatsy
    11 years ago

Oh my! I mostly lurk these days, and I scanned your post--but when I saw that crash picture I zipped back up and read it carefully! Lovely quilt, and not too busy at all.

You give a good safety testimony to the Hyundai Elantra!

• jaceysgranny
    11 years ago

How lucky you were!! Your quilt is precious and beautifully done.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor