Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

I've done it again!

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

I've had a hand in delivering a beautiful baby!! Only this time, it's my grandson, and I didn't deliver him, but coached his mom to do so! lol

Came into this world this morning at 6:45am weighing 8lb 1 oz. He's having trouble breathing, so they whisked him away to the NICU without measuring him, but I'd say no more than 18". We've not even been able to hold him ;(

So, Gigi's tired now and needs a nap (we were up all night), but welcomes to this world, Michael Kevin!!!

Comments (35)

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Congratulations!!!
    Theresa

PS love the name

This post was edited by nannykins on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 15:04

• grandmamary_ga
    10 years ago

Handsome young man. Congratulations grandma.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

what a beautiful bundle of joy!

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Hello Michael! Did Grandma finish your quilt???? LOL
    Cute little guy! Congrats to all!

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Congratulations, he is beautiful. Hope his breathing is improving.

beverly

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

Congratulations Jennifer! Grand babies are wonderful! I hope he doesn't need to be in NICU for long.
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I must admit, that was the first thing I thought of (even though I know better), but glad you're the grandmama. I think there are a few aunties to spoil this cutie if you don't. Congratz, Jen.

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

He's adoreable. He looks so serious.
    LindaB/CA

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Congratulations Grandma. You've been having babies yourself all along. Must seem strange to be on the other end of things. He's gorgeous.

• wanda_va
    10 years ago

Beautiful little boy. Congratulations!! My stepson is Kevin Michael...

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, Michael is doing a little bit better with his oxygen rates; they've been able to down the oxygen to 25% (from 40%). But they've put him on a cpap machine as well.

In addition to that, tonight's blood work shows an infection. (They're not quite calling it pneumonia). So he's on two general antibiotics, and he's facing 5-7 days in the nicu.

We know that this is the best place for him to be, but my heart breaks that DIL can't even hold her baby and may be leaving the hospital without him. In addition to that, there is no health insurance for any of them...prayers might be good right now.

Wanda, what's funny is that Michael is named after DH, and 'Kevin' is my ex-husband's name... lol

• bev2009
    10 years ago

it is very hard to leave your baby at the hospital. i'm praying for the whole family, for peace for the parents (and grandma) and healing for beautiful michael kevin.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Congratulations!! You must be so proud to be Grandma of such a beautiful little boy. Is this your first grand baby??
    Prayer to all and glad he is in good hands.

• lola99
    10 years ago

I hope Michael is improving today. We will certainly be keeping the entire family in our prayers.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Congrats Grandma...he's a cutie!

My niece had to leave her premie in the hospital for several weeks...difficult-yes, but close to two years has past and now that little premie has a set of lungs you wouldn't believe...or maybe you would :-)

Prayers that all will be well ...
    V.

• jaceysgranny
    10 years ago

Praying for Michael (who is adorable), family and medical team that all may go well and he may get better.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Things are looking up!

Michael has been breathing on his own since yesterday morning. And as of today, he's off the IV, so is attached to nothing.

He's being kept in the NICU due to the infection, but today's blood work shows that the meds are working well.

DIL went home today, but will be spending days at the hospital so she can nurse and take care of him. Looks like he'll come home on Sunday.

DH was able to see him on Monday, and was able to hold & feed him a bottle. Gigi has not been so lucky as to even hold him yet :( but hope to sometime this weekend before he goes home.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Yeah! Love the good news!
    LindaB/CA

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Much better news!
    Just figured out that Gigi is grandma. Am I right?
    Theresa

• lola99
    10 years ago

Wonderful - I'm so glad he is improving and his mother is able to feed him. That is great news.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Jennifer, He is so beautiful.....love his lips.
    Sally is GiGi to her grandkids, too......stands for Grandma Garcia.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

In our family Gigi was reserved for great-grandmas, but it certainly works for Grandma Garcia, too!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DH's mom has always been called 'Grandma Jean' and I've always been called 'Jen' by my step kids. I didn't want to be 'Grandma Jen' forever so had to come up with something else. Gigi doesn't sound so 'old' ... I'm only 45 after all!

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Sounds good to me!
    I have always been Nanny and one DGS started the Nannykins bit, hence my nickname here.
    Theresa

• polardream
    10 years ago

Jen - Gigi,

So glad to hear that little Michael is improving! Pictures are precious ... how exciting for everyone.
    Sue

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I thought Gigi was the Proud New Mom! hahaha ........Gigi definitely does not sound like Grandma! The little guy is going to call you whatever he wants to and you will love it :)
    I am happy to hear he is doing better.

Theresa - I love "Nannykins" !!

• grammyp
    10 years ago

So glad he is improving. Such a cute little face!

I hate to tell you, but he will find a name for you, and you will love it. Tim wanted to be G-daddy, but ended up Diddlee.

beverly

• Freda
    10 years ago

Aww beautiful baby, Congratulations. Aren't babies the best.

• Kristene Smith
    10 years ago

Congratulations Jennifer! A lovely addition to your family. So glad he is doing well now. Won't be long before he's home and you xcan have heaps of cuddles
    Kristene

• bev2009
    10 years ago

i'm so glad all is going well. it will be so much fun for you once he is home.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Was finally able to see/hold Michael today. I went to the hospital with DIL for all his final discharge stuff. He did not like the removal of IV port/needle, the removal of all tape, the last of his antibiotics, or the change of clothes mom put him through.

But I did get to hold him a bit, and help them get out of the hospital!! He's home now and they are doing just fine. I'm now on-call for any urgent, "don't know what to do" phone calls!! lol

My kids can't wait to see & hold him, but since 3 are sick, that'll have to wait a bit longer.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Hooray for all of you!
    LindaB/CA

• lola99
    10 years ago

Great news! Thanks for letting us know. I've been monitoring this post, wondering how he has been doing.

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

What a handsome lad! Congratulations Gigi. Are you bringing him to camp? ;)