Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

Rocky Mtn Quilt Museum visit (pic)

toolgranny
12 years ago

Found something that peaked my interest. Although the museum was interesting, the gift shop turned out to be the gold mine. They were selling framed miniature quilts, about a foot square or smaller, that were amazing. In the log cabins, the strips were 1/8" or smaller. They weren't cheap but knowing what it took to make them, I thought them a real deal. The workmanship was amazing. Reminded me of Jennifer.

Just think how many quilts I could store if I made them this size!

The museum had some lovely quilts but not as many as I'd have thought. At least I've been there now and taken lots of pictures. Since you can't use flash, some are fuzzy but got enough details to give me ideas for the future.

Comments (15)

• wynative
    12 years ago

Nice! Oh my - the log cabin on is AWESOME! Where is this museum?
    Marie

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I would be absolutely blind when I finished one of those. Love them, think I'll do one later this year.

beverly

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Quilt Museum is in Golden, about 15 mi west of Denver. It's also the home of Coors but I digress.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

" Reminded me of Jennifer. Just think how many quilts I could store if I made them this size! "

This is EXACTLY why I wish to make them! A completed, 24-30 block quilt that can be hung on a wall (with other things). Who could ask for more?!

They are indeed lovely!

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Oh, wow, that pineapple in the bottom picture is AMAZING!

Donna

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Were they quilted, or just the tops framed? I can't tell from the pictures.

beverly

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think just the tops framed. Quilting stitches would have hidden some of the piecing they were so small. They were matted and framed nicely and priced about $200-$300 I think. I should have paid more attention.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Amazing! Truly worth every penny for a work of art like that. I can't immagine what kind of seam allowence one could have with something that small. I have played with a few miniture but nothing that small. Beautiful. TFS Jayne

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Wow! I don't know if I would have the patience for those tiny pieces. Beautiful!!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Amazing talent & dedication. Were these machine pieced or hand pieced? I am guessing hand because of their size, but Sally Collins could machine piece those babies! I know, because I have her book. I read it (for the first time) when I first started piecing not realizing she was writing about miniatures! I did learn alot. Linda has probably seen Sally's miniatures in person.
    Thanks for sharing the pictures Linda. It sounds like you had a great trip.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I feel the urge/pull to do one of these. Do you think I could get it done in a day? All those lil pieces might get lost in my room if I took longer than that!

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Is it done using PP? Those seams would have to be very tiny. Also, how do you keep the fabric from raveling?

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Yes, I'm guessing most of those minis would be paper pieced. It's the easiest way to keep edges true and stabilizes the project while you're working on it.

Generally, seams on minis are 1/16" - 1/8" instead of the normal 1/4". It keeps the seams from bulking up other areas. Also, a much smaller stitch is used.

• wynative
    12 years ago

---- Golden, home of Coors ----
    hehehe
    My sister lives close to there and there is a dog park that border's the water that Coors uses. I have been several times to help exercise her dogs and it is beautiful. The dogs are not suppose to play in or near the water but since one of the trails goes right by it and there is no fence... Gives a whole new meaning to "Brewed with pure Rocky Mountain spring water" doesn't it?

FYI: I do not drink Coors. LOL

Happy Tuesday quilters!
    Marie

• polardream
    12 years ago

Glad you to to the Quilt Museum. I agree, the gift shop is ALWAYS the best part every time I have gone there!
    Did you have fun in Boulder?
    Sue