Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Cat quilt

K8Orlando
10 years ago

I've been seeing this quilt pattern for years and it always appeals to me. I have a friend who is moving into assisted living and has to give her 2 cats to her daughter. She still gets visitation rights, of course, but I know she'll miss them terribly.

Has anyone made this? Is it as cute in person as it is in the picture? Looks like it would go together fast as you can assemble it in rows or combine 6 cats to make a 12x12 block. Good for using up scraps too. I'm thinking of using Minky for the backing.

Comments (22)

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I haven't made it but I really like the pattern. I'm not an animal person but both my children are and I know how they become part of the family.

I'm sure she will love it.
    Rosa

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I haven't made that one but I have the book (surprise, surprise! LOL). I made one of the tessellating ones several years ago and I don't remember anything about it being difficult.

I think your friend will love it!

Donna

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Made this one in 95. I was new to quilting then, so as you can see, the border is unquilted and wampus! It's also polyester, but the center is all cotton.

I do remember this being quick to assemble and very forgiving. This went to my aunt in a convalescent hospital.

It's sad to get quilts back when loved ones die, but they do hold some good memories too. This year I lost first my Mom, then my best friend. Plenty of quilts with memories.
    LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

That one's cute, and a bit easier, but what about this one?? I did this for a cat lover friend, and chose fabrics that appeared like different furs. The black 'holes' in this one were actually black with grey streaks (just didn't photograph right)

I quilted with a paw print design.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

quilting pattern...

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Love the pattern. Is it from a book of other tessellations? If so, could you tell me the name?
    LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

It's called "Kool Kats Kwilt" By Patti Carey for Northcott

pattern says www.northcott.net

I think it was a bought/downloaded pattern. I did not get it in a book, but it may be published that way & I wouldn't know it.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Thanks. I can google the info. Just not sure I want cats, but I'm intrigued by tessellations.
    LindaB/CA

• maritime_linda
    10 years ago

Love the top one. I have that pattern in a Debbie Mumm book called Country Quilting. Also have the Kool Kats one. It is available free online. Just google Kool Kats quilt and you'll find it.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I've made one like Jen's, too...just made it up myself before the commercial ones came out. The tails are snail trail blocks and I just made the bodies with squares and triangles.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Oh, Fransson aka Elizabeth Hartman made a really cute & modern Cat quilt - I think it was a quilt along and the links take you to directions for each kitty. Her designs are so refreshing and crisp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat quilt

• calliope
    10 years ago

That is very similar to the Tesselated Cats quilt lotto block that Vickie 4X4 put up way back when I first started hanging out in the GW quilting forum. Must've been around 2006. I still have a placemat I made using the rejected blocks not good enough to send in. LOL. Paper pieced.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Calliope, do you have the lotto block pattern? Maybe we should revive it for this year.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I'll look in my fold4er, and if I do, I'll get it to you.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Yeah, the tessellated one I made is very like the Fransson one...the cat heads are nestled together rather than separated by sashing. The ears of the lower one make the angles on the chin of the upper one.

Donna

• sherryquilts
    10 years ago

I remember seeing that pattern on the internet years ago. I'm sure any cat quilt you decide on will be welcomed!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

can't go wrong on any of the designs...they are all very nice and I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by a ccaaatt....aaaaaaaaaachhhhooooooooo...lover!

V.

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

They look great, but I think I'd want to put little faces on all the cats!

• calliope
    10 years ago

Kate, I found the pattern in my folder for that tessled cat quit block . It was from Quilter's Cache and just called Tesslecat.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

• lola99
    10 years ago

Several years ago I was in a birthday block group with Kristene and she asked for the Tesslecats for her birthday block. It's funny, I don't normally remember who asked for which block, but I remember that one. Everyone in the group made 4 6" blocks for Kristene to make a 12" block. I think she was donating the quilt to a Children's Hospital. Maybe she has a picture of it. It was fun, cute, and easy.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Kate, I made this quilt about 20 years ago and it wasn't difficult. It is small, only 35x48, but could easily be made bigger. I like the way it turn out and was eventually sold to a cat lover. If you find it is something you could use your welcome to it as it has been tucked away for a long time. Should you want it just e-mail your address and I will send it on.

This post was edited by nanajayne on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 23:47