Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_on

Let me introduce myself..

susan_on
12 years ago

Hi, my name is Susan, and I lurk from time to time. I've posted a couple of times recently, so I should introduce myself and say hello. I work full time so I don't usually have the time to post, but I'm off work on sick leave for an indefinite amount of time. Anyway, the good news is, that when I'm up to it, I have time to indulge in my hobbies. I like to garden, play in my greenhouse, cook, bake and quilt- among other things!

I have two grown children and two long coat chihuahuas. I love taking care of the home (I have help, I must admit), canning and all that jazz ;) I started quilting many years ago, and I feel comfortable enough with my piecing, but my actual quilting needs work. I don't have many of the quilts I've made, because I tend to give them all away. This year I'm going to work on improving my skills, take good pics, and make a couple of quilts to keep.

I'm not sure if I've ever posted here before my recent posts, but like I said earlier, I love to pop in here when I can to pick up tips and view the beautiful handiwork that is shown on this site.

Comments (29)

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Welcome Susan,
    It is always nice to have a new "face" here. I hope your 'sick leave' doesn't prevent you from quilting and that you arn't suffering from anything too bad.
    Will be interested in seeing what you are doing. Besure to share. Keep posting. Jayne

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Hi, Susan! Where do you live in Ontario? I've been to Canada once on a cruise in 2001. We went to Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Quebec. I'd really love to go back sometime!

I live in central Florida. So far the weather hasn't really figured out that the calendar says it's winter. We had 2 cold nights last week when it was supposed to get into the 20s, but I don't know if it got that cold or not. Mostly we've had mid 50s for lows and 75-80 for highs!

Donna

• day2day
    12 years ago

Susan, "Welcome" from a fellow Canadian.
    I live in Eastern Canada.

I look forward to seeing your quilts.
    I have a problem with the actual quilting too. I like to do the piecing but would like to have someone else do the quilting.

This is a friendly forum and if you have questions, someone is sure to know the answer or can point you in the right direction.
    And we all LOVE to see quilt pictures.

~Geraldine

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Welcome, aboard, Susan!!

I'm sorry to hear about the indefinite sick leave, but at least you are still able to dabble in your hobbies! Maybe look at it as practice for retirement!

There is plenty to keep you busy in this 'guild'! Always someone posting pictures and giving you another 'must do' to put on your bucket list. In effect, if you must finish everything on your bucket list before you die, then this forum will keep you alive forever! Call us the 'fountain of youth' if you will.

Thanks for coming out of lurkdom, and for joining in!

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Welcome, Susan. Thanks for coming out of the lurking stage and joining in. I'm sure you'll get a lot from this group. They not only help and give advice, they give you lots of ideas and tips to move you forward. My bucket list is getting longer every day, as Jennifer says, and there's never a dull moment.

We'd love to see anything you make and will also share our photos with you.

Linda, near San Francisco

• Joan Dupuis
    12 years ago

Hi Susan, I'm a Canadian as well, from New Brunswick. I do more lurking here than posting too. Love to see all the beautiful quilts, runners, wall hangings, etc that everyone here makes. I love making the tops of my quilts, but I just have a regular Singer sewing machine, so have to hand quilt my pieces. I mostly have done them on a rectangle snap hoop, so that I can do it as I watch TV or take it along with my friend have a quilting day. I do have a big quilt frame, but have only ever used it once as it takes up so much room and I don't have a sewing/quilting room per say. Be sure to post pics of your projects.
    Joan

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Welcome Susan! It's interesting how many quilters like to garden as well. I think we're addicted to the colors and the textures no matter where we find them!

Kate

• lola99
    12 years ago

Hi Susan,

Welcome! I hope you are not feeling too bad - I'm glad you can quilt from time to time.

If you have been lurking here for a while, then you probably know about the swaps, challenges, lottos, etc. that are held on this forum. I'd just encourage you to join in where you can. It is a fun way to feel connected to the group.

Lola

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

Hi Susan

I have been a member for many years but recently have also been a lurker. I live in Ontario as well....South Central, out in the country southeast of Guelph.
    We welcome you and hope you feel up to quilting some while you are on medical leave.

Mary

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Hi Susan, Nice to meet you! Sorry you have to be on sick leave but great that you can work on your hobbies periodically. I think it helps lift our spirit. Most of my quilts are given away, too.....I love doing that!

Waving from the Gulf Coast of Central Florida.....

SharonG/FL

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Welcome, Susan, I love gardening and some canning, too, at least jams, and a couple of pickled items. Here in Brooksville, FL, we have u-pick strawberry and blueberry farms and I enjoy canning and freezing those. Hope your health situation is temporary, but if not I hope you can still enjoy what you like to do hobby-wise.

• itsmesuzq
    12 years ago

Welcome Susan from another "Susan". You are going to love this place. Its full of the nicest quilters around and you'll have lots of help and encouragement if you need it, not to mention loads of inspiration!! Sit back take care of yourself and enjoy.

Susan

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Welcome Susan! Glad you decided to join in the fun here. Don't hesitate to share and we love pictures!

Dee

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Hi Susan ~ we love pictures and inspiration and hope to see you posting often.

There is a monthly Block Lotto open to everyone on this forum - it is a small project - perfect for when you feel like sewing, but don't want to make many blocks. Different block and color palette each month. You are welcome to join in the fun - there is still time. And you might just win!

Hope you feel well enough to enjoy some of your hobbies.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2012 Block Lotto

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Ritaweeda.....I didn't know you lived in Brooksville! It's only about 20 miles down the road from me.

SharonG/FL

• susan_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I really appreciate it.

I live near Buffalo and Niagara Falls, but I have relatives in New Brunswick too. I have relatives all over, actually.

I'm in limbo right now... I had surgery (brain) last year, and am waiting to have more. I guess the time has to be right... I hope to go back to work when this is all over with. I am enjoying having more time to pursue my interests, and the opportunity to nap as the need strikes me!

I'm going to pass on the Block Lotto for now, although it sounds very fun. I'm a bit uncoordinated, and I just feel very unreliable.

You have all made me feel very welcome.

• Joan Dupuis
    12 years ago

Susan, sorry to hear your time off is not just a bad case of the flu. Hope they can get you fixed up and back to your old or new self real soon. In the meantime, hope you visit to see what everyone is sewing. It might just give you inspiration for a project of your own, or maybe you can join in the Lotto later down the road. This will my first time, but since I didn't run across this until today, will wait for the February Lotto. Crossing my fingers for ya.

Joan

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

Welcome Susan. If you have been lurking, you already know what a great group this is. I have learned so much from them and they are so generous with their knowledge.
    Hope you get fixed up (medically speaking) soon and all turns out well for you.
    This is the time of year for quilting....weather is too bad for gardening....have as much fun as you can.
    Murphy

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Welcome, Susan! It's always nice to welcome a new member to our fold. Take care of yourself first and enjoy the activities that you can manage at this time....and don't worry about the other things, they will still be there when your medical issues are resolved.

Teresa in chilly North Carolina

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Welcome, so glad you joined our group. Sorry about the sick leave, hope things improve quickly and will be able to get lots of quilting done while you are out.

beverly

• susan_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You all are so nice! Teresa, I was just in North Carolina last week! I have family there, and I love going to visit there. We considered moving there at one point.

This board has inspired me to get cracking on a project that is waiting for me. I'm eager to get going, and I promise to post pics.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Susan,
    Just read that you live near Niagra Fall/Buffalo, we are practically neighbors as I live in the Fingerlakes,Canandaigua. Take care and enjoy the best of things. Jayne

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Welcome, Susan. I'm glad you seem to be looking at the bright side of your health issues - more time to do what you enjoy. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your project. Be well. Lois from Minneapolis, MN.

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Another Canadian here, from Windsor, On.
    I was a lurker for quite a time until someone asked a question and I knew the answer. Very glad I joined and I know you will be too.
    Take care of yourself, do what you are told by doctors etc. and get well soon
    Theresa

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Hi, Susan. Like you, I've been lurking for awhile and just popped in last week with a comment or two. I too love to garden and do all the homey things. I hope you are back to normal soon.

Throwing a snowball your way from Chesterton, Indiana.

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

Hey Susan,

Another welcome coming your way from NB. I've been coming here for years, but not as regularly as I once was, or I would have know we have another NBer. (Hi Joan, are you far from Moncton?).

This is a very nice site, like dropping in on friends for a cuppa tea.

Looking forward to your pictures.
    Faye

• meskauskas
    12 years ago

Hi Susan,
    Nice to meet you. I'm sorry you're not feeling well - I hope things go well for you and you're back to your old self soon.

I've been quilting for about 6 years...mostly needle turn applique. Hope to see some pix soon!
    Clara

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Welcome Susan!!!! This is a great forum with very talented members. Hope your recovery is fast!
    I also like to 'put up' stuff and garden. I moved from Central Florida to a small (very small lol) SE Georgia town (community) and I have no quilting friends here so I depend on our forum for knowledge and entertainment.
    Everyone in my town and family loves my quilts and they tolerate me talking about them but I have not met or converted a quilter yet here yet.
    Yes we do love pics!
    Rosa

• susan_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for the warm welcome! I promise to show a pic of my next quilt, which is a lap quilt I'm getting ready to start. I will look forward to getting some constructive criticism and tips.