Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Quilting patterns

K8Orlando
10 years ago

I've been playing with a variety of quilting patterns lately and although I can't seem to master any of them, I am getting more comfortable with some.
Do you mix up patterns in a quilt, go with an overall pattern, or design something for each area or block?
Do you have favorites?
Do you use designs, or templates, or mostly just make it up as you go?
If you use templates, do you draw patterns on or use the dusting chalk?
Am I asking too many questions?

Kate

Comments (11)

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

I haven't developed a great big portfolio of quilting patterns, either but I don't like to use templates or anything where I have to do a lot of marking - mainly because I haven't found the perfect marking tool to do it with. When I do free-motion I usually fall back on a free-form style such as a spiraling pattern. I have often used the walking foot to do the serpentine stitch where I only want to follow straight lines, I really like how this looks, it is simple to do and a little more lively than the straight stitch-in-the-ditch method.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Rita, I can't find a good way of marking, either. Usually if I do use a design I make copies and pin them to the top, then tear the paper off after quilting.

Kate, it depends on the quilt. :) I do a lot of loops or meanders in the center then leaves or feathers in the borders, though some quilts inspire me to do more intricate quilting.

I've been using Hooked on Feathers a lot...I find they are pretty easy to do and look nice. I also use free hand leaves a lot.

Donna

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I quilt to the design I see in the quilt. I hang it in plain view and stare at it for a week or two till it tells me what it needs. Then I mark with the new pens, Frixion, unless it's black and then I use a white marking pencil. I don't always mark. Sometimes I just make tick marks at a measured distance to make sure it all fits when I get going. I will use guidelines a lot when I use a crosshatch or straight line pattern so I don't wander all over the place. I can do feathers free hand but sometimes need marks to make sure I end just right when I come to a corner.

Funny you mention this subject. A friend was just over who is learning FMQ at my encouragement. She brought something asking how to quilt it. I grabbed the pen and started marking all over it and she was shocked till I showed her with the iron that it erases easily. I'm anxious to see how she does with my marks.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I am not a real talented quilter but do used templates sometimes and as tool granny I use Frixion pens. I like them a lot. I even use them to make paper patterns designs, if I don't like it I just put the iron to it. I am not fond of repeated designs, so many times I use a different pattern in each block. I like echo quilting and in the ditch.
    I have used the chalk pounce but not very fond of it. I find it difficult to remove but it also brushes off and the design is hard to follow.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was all excited about the chalk pounce when I got it but I've had the same experience - it smudges and rubs off before I can get it quilted. I think I'm better with no template or pattern. I haven't found a marker I like but I haven't tried the Frixion. It's on my shopping list!

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I highly recommend a subscription to "Machine Quilting Unlimited"
    Magazine. It is full of so much information - tips, techniques, products and pictures--closeups of quilting from real people on our kinds of machines. It is a magazine for the home quilter to the pro's, but I find it geared to quilters who want to learn more and try different designs. You will not be disappointed in its content. If you can find the Jan/Feb issue - I think sold at book stores- this is a good example of the Magazine. And the Raffle Quilt from my Guild is in it! What a surprise! :~)

For me, I have to look at the finished quilt top for awhile (that's my excuse anyway :~). The deadline often dictates what I am able to do quilt-wise. I now also consider the recipient of the quilt, learning the hard way that some people just do not appreciate the labor and time required to stitch custom block designs.

I don't think I can read enough or practice enough on Quilting Techniques. But, for me, the thrill is achieving something new and retaining that muscle memory to be able to do it again in 6 months. I don't quilt consistently enough! It's in spurts dictated by time and other factors outside of my control.

Here is a link that might be useful: Machine Quilting Unlimited

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Marsha! That looks very interesting. Think I'll sign up for the digital version of the magazine!

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

I used air erasable markers, but they fade before I finish sometimes, so I switched to water erasable. Absolutely no ironing before washing out water erasable though.

I too tend to follow the design of the fabric. Leaves and flowers are the easiest, because perfection isn't necessary. Since I usually only mark guide lines, not the whole design it works out well.

Once I tried feathers I was hooked on them too. Mine are far from perfect, but when you have a large area or a wide border that they're suitable for they're kinda fun to play with.

I have a couple of books with motifs that help me get started, like holly and berries or boats or once bunnies and ducks. Drawing on paper with a pen until you're comfortable is REALLY helpful!

Children's basic shaped coloring books offer some good basic shapes, and as others said, books, online sites and magazines are great.

LindaB/CA

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Very interesting post...I've used the pencils, but the design smears and essentially is gone by the time I am at that point.
    I keep going back to the loops, and flower puffs and an all over meander. I've practiced leaves, feathers, shells, but have not used any of these on a real quilt yet; although recently I did cucumber vine on quilt and I thought I would never finish...in fact, the top is still waiting for binding.

Linda...the idea of a coloring book is great. Marsha, I will check out your suggestion - thanks.

I saw on one of the blogs I follow, the quilter had the same machine as I do and stated "it does everything I need". I really admired her work, so this has given me the boost to be more FMQ daring!

I'd like to try the Frixon pen to layout the general direction of the design I'm going for...does it wash out or iron out?
    V.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Frixion pens just iron out. Very easy. I even write notes on quilts, number pieces and draw arrows here and there with them now because they work so well.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks Toolgranny...I'm off to buy!