Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Jan. 4-6

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

I am finishing a couple BOM's from 2012. I was too busy in Dec. to finish them so that is my goal for Jan.. I did the "Hello Sun" bom and the 6.5 inch blocks are set in the center of Variable Star blocks. I hope to finish the stars today. I also did the Craftsy free bom and need to set those blocks together.
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (29)

• finchelover
    11 years ago

In between not feeling well,I am doing a sample right now of Dresden Platte hopefully to make my granddaughter a quilt for her wedding in 2004

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Finished Jan. Lotto blocks this am. Rest of weekend will be dismantling and putting away Christmas decorations.
    Theresa

• day2day
    11 years ago

DH and the rest of the gang are gone today, so I have the whole day to myself. YEAH! I have been sewing all the morning. I finished a table runner top and made a baby quilt top from some squares that I cut way-back-when. The baby is due mid-January so need to get the top quilted.I am going to continue to sew. I want to make another baby top like the one I made this morning...have enough squares to do it.

Tomorrow, I may get to sew in the morning but will be visiting my sis in the p.m.

Nothing special planned for Sunday but that could change, so we'll see how it goes. I will try, at least, to get the baby top/batting/backing sandwiched, ready for quilting.

I am so happy to be back at my quilting projects. I was beginning to have withdrawal symptoms.

Cheers.

~Geraldine

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Linda I am finally hand-sewing my first Granny Square 8" quilt block. Yesterday I finally figured out the right dimensions for the corner triangles, so now I have all my pattern pieces made correctly - yeah!!! Thank you for telling me about that pattern in 2012.

Best to you and Happy New Year!,
    quiltingfox

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I hope to get some sewing time in this weekend in between other obligations.

Sunday is my mom's 87th birthday so hopefully we can spend some time with her. I imagine having your birthday in a nursing home can be a depressing thing!

Donna

• calliope
    11 years ago

Already did. I sat down to the machine this morning, and dug out a couple of foundation blocks I made up from old cotton and started using up the bits and scraps from the blue/cream quilt I just finished off to start busting my blue stash. Another crazy quilt just got conceived and this one shall be a small one since it wasn't on the agenda. Maybe a lap or crib quilt. (and that's how quilts just get started, whether you mean to do it or not.) LOL

I am starting another floor cloth, and that's what I'll be into for a few days.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I have an applique block packed up to work on tomorrow as I sit at a volunteer job that is quiet. I might get a small hanging pin basted as well. I'm just starting to get back to normal now that all the holidays are over and returns are done.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Probably no sewing on important things yet, but maybe playing with a QOV. I have most of the squares cut out and have a plan. My DD asked me to make a gray/pink quilt for her DH's niece who has a brain tumor (she has a one year old and a 5 year old). I think I have a top that will work but need to add borders on it, so will audition fabric with it tomorrow.

SharonG/FL

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

No sewing for me....been fighting a cold for 3 days. Tomorrow morning heading to Montreal to take DD and her cat back then home on Sunday. Back to work on Monday. Hope to get some sewing done next week...have Tues and Wed off.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Maryv

• chickie1
    11 years ago

I am hoping to quilt a New England Patroit quilt that got pushed to the side when family arrived. But first I need to get a Birthday Block made and in the mail by Monday.
    Darlene

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Here is a pic of the 8" Granny Square quilt block that I finished making today. I really like how this turned out and plan to make more blocks like it this year in 2-tones per block in pinks, purples, greens, and blues all with yellow centers utilizing fabric that I have in my stash.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sandra, it's beautiful! I can't wait to see all your blocks. That is one more project I need to finish. I have all the blocks finished and need to set them together.
    Linda OH

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Thank you bunches Linda. I'm really excited about this project. I hope you post a photo of your Granny Square quilt once you assemble all your blocks, I would love to see that as I'm sure it will inspire me as I make blocks during the year.

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

• karpet
    11 years ago

I have just finished hand quilting the first block on my feed sack top - only 15 more to go! I think I'm going to try a shorter needle to see if it works better with the thimble.
    Karlene

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Sandra, Your granny square block is lovely, I'm looking forward to seeing all of the blocks.
    Granny squares is on my list for 2013. I have some repro fabrics that I'm anxious to try in the same pattern.
    I'm may try to get March blocks done for the birthdays on sunday, if time permits. Ugh...back to Mon thru Fri at work next week...oh well, at least we have a holiday in Jan that will give me a 3 day weekend for sewing!
    V.

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I just finished the 2nd postage stamp quilt top today. I now have to dig into my closet to see if a pieced backing I made awhile back will fit it. If not I might go to Walmart and get some wide muslin for it. So of course the next step is to do the sandwich which is my least favorite step. I'm thinking I might tie this one - haven't the patience to hand-quilt this one like the last for some reason. I also have to take my machine in for maintenance, it's long overdue.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Thank you bunches littlehelen. Please post photos of your blocks once you get some made later in the year, I love seeing what people are doing with these blocks.

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Sandra, I love the Granny Square block! Just found the tutorial and printed up the pattern. I have lots of 2 1/2 inch left-over squares and tons of scraps. Can't wait to get started...in fact, I think I'll try to get a block done today.

Valarie, it would be gorgeous in reproductions!

MLinda

L

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Thank you bunches MLinda, hope you have as much fun making them as I am having. Please share pics of your blocks with us as you complete them.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Sandra, very pretty block!

Today I worked on DD's quilt. I don't think I will have it done for her to take back to CO on Tuesday, but you never know. I've learned some things with this quilt. While DD #1's quilt seams came out perfectly (I used by 1/4" foot) this quilt is not going as well. I'm mixing jelly roll and fabric I cut. I cut the fabric strips to a width minus the pinking points. I also hand washed all the fabric and it seems that some of the fabrics have smaller pinked points than others. With the points, I couldn't use my 1/4" foot so I've just had difficulties getting consistent seams. I don't know if any of this makes sense. I told my daughter it isn't going to be perfect, so she should expect some puckers. Hopefully I'll have it pieced by tomorrow and post a picture (with all it's warts).

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Rita, you've finished a 2ND postage stamp top? You are now officially my hero! I've been saving scraps, trimming, and sewing blocks for a couple of years now in hopes that I'll one day have enough done to put together one postage stamp quilt. I think it's just amazing that you've finished two!

MLinda, I'm with you. I just printed off the tutorial for those granny squares and might make a block today.

So far this weekend I've finished and packaged up two birthday blocks for the exchange. The first was a magic tricks block, and the other was quilters choice done in blue, so I made one of blue strips going various ways in sets, framed in more blue.
    The next two blocks for the birthday exchange are basic star patterns, so I think I'm going to get ahead of the game and make those today.
    Then I want to work on my sister's lonestar quilt, which I had to start all over because the points came out a bit wonky in my first attempt. That wasn't a total loss though, thankfully! I'm going to use it to make pillows, which will coordinate with the quilt. Look at me sewing like a rock star! (yep, I love watching Anne Burrell on the foodnetwork)

Yesterday I bought a new-to-me sunflower-themed table runner kit while at a local quilting shop, so depending on how the day progresses, I may get into that as well.

And of course, now that Sandra has me interested in the granny squares, I may try that one out today as well!

Good thing I'm off and able to relax today, eh? Lol!

-Dan

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Dan don't waste too much on praises. Number one, the postage stamps are 2 inches, not 1 inch. (I'm not that crazy.) I made blocks of them of 16 (4 across and 4 down) and alternated them with plain blocks. So the entire tops are not all postage stamps. The first one I also added sashes on all sides with a 4-patch at the corners. This second one has no sashes in between. On the other hand, anyone who decides to tackle a Lone Star deserves accolades, I've made small ones but have never gotten the guts to start a full-size one, and I love them.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Got the Christmas decs put away yesterday and started a baby quilt. It is a simple rail fence with sashing and stars at the corners. Will try to finish the top today. It also is a stash reduction project.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I got more done than I thought I would! Yesterday I finished making the sashing blocks for my Blackford's Beauty and got it all pinned on my design wall. Ready to start assembling!

Donna

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I have been cutting 90 8.5"x3.5" and 90 11.5"x3.5" white rectangles to take to Maui with me. I will be piecing them to my 8.5" square Marimekko scraps. When it is all completed, I will have a 106"x117" quilt for our bed.

I also corrected an imperfect corner on a Pinwheels and Prairie Points baby quilt top that I finished last week. At one of the corners the prairie points didn't line up exactly as they should have. It looked okay, but it bugged the heck out of me, so I fixed it. Sometimes I'm too much of a perfectionist, but I just couldn't bear to leave it the way it was.

Now I get to go to an iPad class so I can get the most out of the new iPad my husband bought me for Christmas. I have to download some movies and books for the long plane ride to Hawaii. It will be so good to leave this Minnesota winter.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Thanks bunches Bev. Can't wait to see your DD's quilt.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• susan_on
    11 years ago

I didn't quilt, but I did play with fabric. I have some fabric pieces that I like, but can't see me putting into a quilt. So I covered a shoe box with some for storing notions. I love how it turned out. It looks so nice, and I'm going to make a few more for myself. Now I'm in the middle of embroidering an owl on some fabric. I'm going to use that fabric piece for a box lid, and cover the bottom with coordinating fabric. I'm giving my DD oven mitts with owls embroidered on them (hopefully this week).

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susan, I would love to see pictures of your boxes. Sounds nice.
    Linda OH

• susan_on
    11 years ago

I had a few snags with the owl embroidery, as I am new to this. I will post a pic of both of them in the next day or so. They make attractive storage boxes :)

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz