Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_on

Learning/improving machine quilting skills

susan_on
12 years ago

I know that we all strive to get better and better at what we do... but for those of you who feel that you have some solid machine quilting skills, or the confidence that you have a foundation to build on in this area.. what did you think was most helpful for you to get to a comfort zone? Did you take lessons? Or was it just practice? Any tips you can share?

Comments (11)

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I'm not at all solid in FM machine quilting, but after this last quilt that I just completed, (the first one I did with FM quilting), I'm convinced that practice will improve my skills. I fully intend to do some sample blocks using the videos that I posted about the other day put online by Leah Day. I did take a one-day class about 3 years ago and did well but I need to just sit down and do it until it comes more naturally and relaxed, but not on a serious project. My biggest problem was actually getting the tension right. What a pain!

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Susan,
    I consider myself as a beginning free motion quilter.
    I bought a couple FM books and practiced some simple designs and have not graduated from the simple stuff yet.

My biggest suggestion to you is to make several quilt sandwiches at least 12" square (larger would be better.)
    Use some scrap material, or muslin, with batting in between, and try one design at a time and perfect it, then move on to other designs.

I'm not sure if you're asking about quilting with a walking foot, or using Free Motion. Maybe both?

I started using the walking foot, and experimenting with the different stitch patterns on my machine. That part was easy.

When I started experimenting with FM, I was very discouraged. But I discovered I was trying to make patterns that were too hard. Start simple. Stitch straight lines, then zig zags, move forward and backward, move from side to side, try some curves...small at first, then larger...JUST PLAY on your quilt sandwiches...and laugh at your boo-boos...have fun!

Oh, hey! Try some five-pointed stars, you know, the kind we learned in Kindergarten.

So far I can only do free motion meandering (confidently) on projects no larger than a table runner.

Enough from a beginning FMer.
    I'm interested to hear from those who are more skilled.

Julie

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

I practice, practice and practice some more. I begin with a very simple pattern and frankly just never felt comfortable doing complicated patterns. I really find that the simpler patterns works very well for me and my type of style of quilts. I started by doing lots of straight lines, occasionally using the decorative stitching on my machine. When I felt good about that I moved on to other pattern ideas that were not straight line.

I also use a small square made as if I was ready to quilt something for pattern ideas first. If I feel comfortable with that, then I use it on my project. The information by Leah Day I found is quite helpful.

• susan_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for your input. I'm going to make up some square and practice. I want to practice FM and using a walking foot. I've done a lot of meandering type of quilting, and I do think that looks nice, but I want to move on to other things. I think I'll practice on those squares, and maybe make some placemats for every day use. I'll practice on those placemats after experimenting on those practice squares.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Practice, practice, practice. I've taken 2 lessons and they were great for giving me ideas about what was possible, but I don't think there's any way to get comfortable with it unless you practice. Leah Day is my inspiration and I've learned more from her website than from the classes.

I think one of the important steps to getting good at FM (I'm not there yet!) is to start with fairly large designs and slowly work your way down to smaller and more controlled ones. Meanders first. Then add stars, or flowers, or any shape you like. Keep loose and try to make your design flow. Once you have a good feel for moving the fabric and keeping your sewing speed steady, then you can go for more controlled images.

Kate

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

It's really all about practice and ease of movement. Tension was the first big problem (both mine and the thread) and once mastered, it took a long time to feel at ease with the rhythm of it. I think the hardest problem for me now is trying to figure out what patterns to quilt. I can do most designs but most quilts don't call for those fancy backgrounds Leah does. I quilt to the design and often find myself doing more fancy stuff in the border. If a quilt has large busy prints, the stitches don't show at all and your work will seem wasted.

To show off your best work, do it on a light, plain square like the betweens of an Irish Chain or middle of a DWR. If you are on a busy print, it's your best practice because if you screw up no one will see it. Always use a busy print on the back to hide any mistakes.

Before starting a special project, I always stitch on a scrap sandwich leftover. Sometimes they are long and narrow trimmed off an edge, doesn't matter. Just get the hands used to moving a bit to warm up.

I do FMQ in spells when the mood is right. I always have lots of UFOs to practice on but save my best times for those special quilts. Don't work under pressure if you can help it.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Can I share one more thing? I would recommend that you save tight, intricate quilting patterns for wallhangings, table toppers or other decorative quilts for two reasons. The first reason is that all that stitching makes the quilt too stiff and not at all cozy. The other is that the backside of the quilt might not be very pretty if you used too many different patterns on the top. It just doesn't look very balanced from the back. On bed or nap quilts I like bigger, all over quilting patterns. You can still add interesting bits but keep them fairly large to keep the quilt soft and flexible. (Hope that makes sense.)

Kate

• lola99
    12 years ago

I agree, practice is the best way to get better.

The FMQ Challenge web site had a challenge a few months ago (maybe a year ago?) anyway, it was to FMQ for at least 15 minutes/day for 14 days in a row. If you were to complete the challenge, you could not miss one day. People who were participating were posting pictures of their FMQ every day and it was amazing how much better they got.

I thought it would be fun to organize a challenge like that on this forum, but I have been busy with other non-quilting life. Maybe I'll organize it a little later this spring or someone else can if they are so motivated. I think it would be fun, we would all get better, and encourage each other...

Lola

• susan_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh wow, such good advice and good points to consider. That FMQ challenge sounds like a great idea, too.

• susan_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, and I meant to say that I meant FMQ as well as working with a walking foot.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I bought the machine I sew on in about 1970. It goes backwards, forwards and sort of zig zags. Now that I am getting into quilting, I would like to get a new machine so I could FMQ. So that will be the first step for me. So far I've only started researching online, but found the Brother CS6000i on line and it seems to have possibilities. I could spend more if it would be worth it, but don't want to buy more than I need. I need to decide soon because I am going to have several pieces ready for quilting soon and I can't wait to learn how to FMQ.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals