Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elmer's glue mystery solved!!

Posted by rosajoe (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 12:42

I did not realize that most glues are simply very dense starches!!!
Maybe all are, I am not sure, but I did find out that the washable ones are.
I read where a person used glue to make their starches. I also found a recipe for starch that I plan to try. At the moment I have a bottle that I want to use first. I use a LOT of starch!!!!!!!

starch:
12 ounces water
3/4 T cornstarch
3 drops essential oils (I will leave this out)

mix in a spray bottle and shake to mix each time before using.
Rosa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elmer's glue mystery solved!!

i remember my mother making starch with this recipe

o

I remember making a very effective flour paste as a child. I glued my sister's piggy bank to her dresser.

o

Just be sure to wash it out instead of storing blocks that are starched with home made starches!!! The ingredients you are using are like a buffet to silverfish and moths. Commercial starches have things added to them to reduce the potential for the clothing to be quickly eaten.

o

I had to look it up because, remembering that Elmer's has always had an iconic cow as part of their logo and that my mother used to use evaporated milk as a glue for ceramics (it's very effective), I didn't think starch was the base of Elmer's. Apparently, Elmer's began as a hide-based glue and is now a vinyl based product.

I've put in a link to the info I found below.

Not disputing that starch can also be a base for glues. We all know about library paste. Wallpaper paste is also based on wheat starch. And I've heard of brushing on liquid laundry starch to glue things that are up to the moisture to walls and glass as an effective but removable adhesive.

Just correcting the record on Elmer's glue.

PS Sorry I'm so anal...

Here is a link that might be useful: what is glue made from

o

No apology necessary. I love the details of... well, of everything! Not sure how I existed before the glories of Google and Wikipedia.

o

We always made glue/paste using flour and water when I was a little girl I think that's why buying the little bottle of real pase for a nickel was so exciting when school started in Sept. and it smelled so good some kids even ate it!!

o

Oh my Minnie I remember doing that!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here