Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

BOM 2010 - January

solstice98
14 years ago

Welcome to the 2010 Block of the Month!

This is a no-pressure, no-structure, no-challenge, no-deadline group; we are just here to share, encourage and inspire. Any type, style and method of block construction is welcome. No rules; just fun quilting.

For those of you who haven't done a BOM, the idea is to commit to making one block each month and end the year with 12 completed blocks. It's a fun way to tackle long term projects or even mystery quilts. It can be organized - several websites offer patterns with a new block posted each month - or taken from a book - or even something you make up on your own.

You don't have to start in January - feel free to jump in anytime!

Participants: Post a picture of your January 2010 block below. (There will be another thread started for the February blocks and so on throughout the year.)

If you want to see how all this started, here's a link to the original post: 2010 bom/ba

Happy Quilting!

Kate

Comments (36)

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is my 1st block. It's from the Edyta Sitar book Hop to It! although I'm not following her colors. I'm using batiks on white Kona and doing all the applique by hand. This is new for me because I've never done hand applique before!

JANUARY

Kate

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Here's my first block. I'm sorry colors are so poor. I may have to find another camera by next month's block.

Pattern is from Sharon Schamber's book Piece by Piece.

JANUARY

Linda

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

This is the first of my 12 Days of Christmas.[IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x223/nanajaynecarol/100_1543.jpg[/IMG]Jayne

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's Jayne's beautiful partridge in a pear tree!

(Jayne, if you copy the line for HTML code it should work. It's the line that starts with "img src...")

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

Kate, There is no HTML code where I copy from. There were only 2 lines, the one I posted with and another with a URL.
    In the past I used to have 4. Do I go to a different area?
    Jayne
    PS. Thanks for bringing up the picture.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Check your preferences in Photobucket. I don't recall exactly where it is on the page but somewhere you can select the types of codes you want displayed. Send me an email if you have rouble and I'm sure we can figure it out. I know its there some where!

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

BOM at my LQS. Bountiful Baskets done in reproduction fabrics. This quilt will be a gift for my Mother. Looks rather bland after the gorgeous applique already posted!

Rebecca

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Rebecca, it's not bland at all! Reproduction fabrics are meant to replicate those that could be found in the 1930's (or earlier/later, depending on what era they are trying to reproduce). The colors look like what I would find in a 1930-1940's era home. I'll bet your mother will love it when it's finished. What's really important is that you have spent your time making a very well-stitched block. The points are crisp, it's neatly done, and appears to be square. Nice job!

Odessa

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree. It's not bland at all. It's charming. I've become hooked on the 30's fabric in the past year and can't get enough of it. On a recent fabric shopping day with a friend I wrote on my shopping list "No more 30s!" and I told her not to let me buy any more. Of course, I came home with 5 more FQs of it. Hey, maybe I'm a collector!

When you get 12 of these done and put them together, it will be a beautiful and super charming quilt for your mother.

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

They are all gorgeous!!! I have been drawn to reproduction fabrics lately too.
    I have been behind trying to help my graduating friend finish his project and a baby quilt.
    BUT, I am going to make an E. Burns 'Egg Money Quilts' sampler as my BOM project and I will catch up by February.
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

Kate, I like your design and color choices! Do you find it any different appliqueing with Batik? (also, how do you make a link within your message?)

Linda, Your colors look beautiful to me. You hand-dyed?

Good going, Jayne! Your 12 Days of Christmas quilt will be really neat. Is this a book you have or is it online? (you know I need to start another project!)

Rebecca, Not bland! It's going to be beautiful and your mother will love it.

Rosa, I hope to catch up by February, too.

Good job everyone!

Sharon

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

how do you make a link within your message?

Sharon, there's a code but if I type it here exactly like you would type it in the text box you won't be able to see it, because the code disappears. So below where ever you see ( type .

(a href=the url address)the name of the link(/a)

so it would be typed like this, except with arrow thingies instead of parens:

(a href=http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/quilt/msg0112392325166.html?12)QOTD(/a)

but it would look like this once you submit the message:

QOTD

If this still doesn't make sense, send me an email and I'll try again.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

QOTD

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

Nuts! Must have missed something, somewhere.....I'll keep trying. Do you just add the before and after a copy and pasted URL?....never mind, I think I see what I didn't do....

like this?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO....thank you, Kate!! You just taught an old dog a new (to her) trick! Yabba dabba doo......

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I got 5 blocks sewn for my BOM-PP project!! I am addicted to Paper Piecing!
    This is my first "on my own - understand & follow all the directions" PP project for me. I am making the quilt on the cover of the book linked below- I have alot of blocks to make. I do not like the continuous chain "strip piecing" aspect of her directions, so I am not using that method. I also like using up smaller pieces of the scraps. Makes me feel empowered ~LOL~
    I am using the same blue/teal/purple batik somewhere in each block (picture of batik below) & trying to repeat each of the other fabrics in at least 2 blocks to give the quilt some cohesiveness. (The paper is still on the backs of the blocks - so they are alittle bulky still)

This is the batik in each block

Here is a link that might be useful: Book

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Those stars are awesome! I think I know what my BOM project will be next year!

I like them all but especially the 3rd one - with 16 points. That would be beautiful as the center medallion on a quilt too.

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

They are gorgeous!!
    Mago I made a star PP small lap size for my nephew's senior year. Since it was to be an autograph quilt and not really used (I think so LOL) I used the PP foundation that did not have to be removed. I would not use it in a quilt again because it made a noise and it was thick.
    The log cabin I have played with I am using muslin for the foundation center, but I don't want to draw all of those outside blocks on muslin. Plus I don't think I could be as acurate.
    I'm going to try cheap thin copy paper but I keep forgetting to look for it.
    What are you using???????????????????????????????
    I think PP is well work the extra effort it takes.
    Rosa

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Thank you - Each time I make one, that one becomes my favorite probably because I am relieved to have it completed.

Kate, I am not thrilled with that one muted, mottled fabric choice on the 16 star point star - I keep rejecting it on the newer stars. I made it my desktop pic on my computer - better then the snow and icey river.

Rosa, I am using 20# very good copy paper (since I sell office supplies, I only have the good stuff). I found not including the 1/4" seams around the perimeter on the paper & then ripping it away somewhat before the sections are sewn together is helpful. I am not removing it completely until I add the background strips, which may be soon - to stabilize the blocks. On one landscape PP block from a class I took, I traced the design onto vellum (so I didn't have to buy the pattern again) I really liked sewing thru the vellum. But, like you, I do not want to trace all those sections accurately. On a landscape, I don't think the width of the pencil lead matters. On a star with many sections, and a center point, It definitely would be critical. My laser is finicky - it doesn't like non premium paper. So, I don't know if a lower quality paper would be worth it.

The very wonderful thing about PPing, is you can get interrupted or stop and find your place easily. It is perfect for short bursts of sewing. 5 mins & I see something accomplished.

Also, the octagon star still needs the HSTs to make it a square like the others.

I would not be doing this project if it weren't for this BOM - it has really motivated me - and I feel like if I get stuck, you all will come to my rescue :)

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, I feel the same way. I may have given up the applique after the first block I made - the one I didn't like - but I kept at it and changed to a different book of patterns because of this group. Its like a quilting party! Woo hoo, pass the mojitos!!!

Kate

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

I love PP although I'm doing a lot of applique at the moment. I found an old package of thin, eraseable typewriter paper, the kind you use for the carbon copies, and it works great because it tears away so beautifully. So, if anyone sees it in a garage sale or thrift store, grab it. Marsha might know if it's still on the market.

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

Your stars are beautiful, I especially like the 16 pt. star. Reminds me of a mariners compass. It will be a lovily quilt.
    The 12 Days of Christmas is a Marcia Horn pattern from Quilter Cache.
    Jayne

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

MRG - lovely work on your stars! I think they are just beautiful. Your quilt will be just glorious. And yes, if you get stuck, we're here to help you through the tough times.

Kate, mojitos are in the fridge. Bring me your glass and I'll pour you a cold one ....

I'm ready to get started on my BOM next week, I think. Have to bake a cake tonight, decorate it tomorrow morning, and clean up my work area, then I can start pulling fabrics ... ohhhhhhhhh .... the fabrics are calling to me .......... "Odessa!" ............... "Odessa!" ...................... "ODESSA!" ........... sorry, ladies, have to go play with my stash! *giggles*

Odessa

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

Whew, I made it! Finished a Choc Star today. I have 2 BOM's that I really got behind in during the season, so I hope to play catch up here, if you don't mind. These are the 3 I had done plus the one I finished today - 69 pieces!

Mago, Your stars are gorgeous. They will surely make beautiful quilt!

SharonG/FL

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Kate, did you get the mojito I just poured for you? I saw your glass needed filling!

Odessa

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Sharon, I looked at that BOM and really liked it, then forgot about it. I am anxious to see yours completed. I like the colors.
    Thank you everyone for all your support.

• new2quilting
    14 years ago

I am doing 2009 (baskets) and 2010 (snowmen) Bunny Hill BOMs.

2009 (finished today, it's still January!). This one will get buttons on the vine for berries.

2010 (posted previously)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bunny Hill Designs Free Patterns

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Those are just wonderful, Amy. That's going to make a great quilt.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Charming and joyful snowmen! I'm looking forward to seeing more of them!

• new2quilting
    14 years ago

Thanks! I can't wait for the next Snowbound block, she releases them the 5th of the month. The basket blocks are still online from 2009. She does such cute stuff.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Your snow-people are adorable - how much are you doing by hand? Your stitches are so exact. Your fabric choices are perfect.

• new2quilting
    14 years ago

All the applique is done by machine (my buttonhole by hand isn't that good!) I hand embroidered the French knots, words, stick arms and noses.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

What kind of thread did you use in your machine for the applique? It looks so nice. I use to do hand embroidery - years ago - I should try it again after seeing yours. These are so cute. What are you planning to do with them?

• new2quilting
    14 years ago

I use Mettler cotton thread, I'm pretty sure most of it is the embroidery thread. The hand embroidery I use DMC floss.

• new2quilting
    14 years ago

Oh, and I'm going to make them into two quilts!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!