Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO - February 2012

K8Orlando
12 years ago

Thank you for joining in the lotto!

We have had great participation in the first lotto of 2012 and I hope we can continue it this month. I think you'll like this block; it's a good opportunity to use some things out of your stash but you can easily do three blocks with just a couple fat quarters and a beige too, so the cost won't be high even if you don't have much fabric built up yet. It's fast and easy with just a couple half square triangles. When you put a few of these blocks together they form a wonderful, bold secondary pattern; I'm sure it will make a really attractive quilt.

All we need are at least 12 blocks each month to make enough for a wallhanging, baby quilt, lap quilt, donation quilt or even a doggy bed! 12 blocks can even be the center of a much larger quilt; just add borders until you get the size you need. I will guarantee to make 3 blocks each month but you all will have to do the rest.

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:

> each month there will be a designated block or theme

> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches

> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks(Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in

> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair

February 2012

For February, the block will be Contrary Wife. Use the link below or go to Quilterscache.com for instructions. We don't have a particular color theme this month, but try to use a deep color in a small print along with a more pronounced print in a complimentary color; the background should be beige (tonal, tone on tone, small print, marble, muslin, etc). No juvenile or novelty prints. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams.

I've attached pictures of the three blocks I made for this one.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. This is YOUR lotto!

Kate

This shows the three blocks and one way to set them together to get an interesting secondary pattern. You could also do diagonal stripes or zig zags. (Sorry the photos are a little fuzzy! Looks like I needed better light!)

{{gwi:2028334}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Contrary Wife

Comments (90)

• cziga
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That's funny about beginners luck, lol ... the only block lotto I ever won was one of the first I entered as well!! It was a couple years ago, and was a February/Valentines day one as well. I'm actually just working on finishing up the quilting on a tablerunner of red hearts using 4 of those blocks for this year's Valentines Day table :) I used the rest of the blocks (which were pink) to make a lap quilt which was donated to the Cancer wing of our hospital. It was so exciting to win the lotto, especially one of the first times I entered ... beginner's luck can be powerful, lol :)

I hope this kind of participation lasts throughout the year. Perhaps with so many people taking a break from the birthday blocks this year, the Lotto will be "busy" all year round!!

• calliope
    12 years ago

Heads up Kate. I just mailed my February and March blocks today. So they should be there at month's start.

• calliope
    12 years ago

BTTT. Have the blocks arrived Kate?

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Ok, I thought I had mailed the blocks off last week, but found the envelope behind the microwave this morning! What it was doing there is a mystery. LoL! But it IS MAILED now, I promise! Walked it out to the mailbox myself. Sheesh, I'm glad the nesting thing kicked in this morning & I got the urge to scrub everything in the kitchen. :P

I have participated in lots of lottos, but haven't won any! :( But that's OK. I enjoy making the blocks & it's fun to see who will win. Although....there have been some really nice ones that I was hankering for! LoL!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, Calliope, I have your blocks. A few others are here too. I'll get the list updated this weekend and posted!

Kate

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Curses, Kate!! Curses, I say!

Yes, I loved this block, and now have another quilt on my list. In fact, I loved my blocks so much I'm having a difficult time putting them in the envelope to mail, LOL.

I going to try to get next month's blocks done this weekend. But whether I do or not, February's blocks will be on the way by Monday.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Ohhhhh Pretty Mary. Isn't this a great block? I love the simplicity of the squares - lets the fabrics shine.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Kate,

Just a heads up...

I mailed three blocks today, so you can be watching for them:)

Julie

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    I got my pieces cut for Feb, March and April.
    Will work on sewing tomarrow.
    all this warm weather has me wanting to play in the dirt when I need to be sewing.
    michelle

• lola99
    12 years ago

Kate, you can put me down for one. I really would like to make 3 to increase my chances of winning as this is going to make a STUNNING quilt and I would love to win! But, I have so many other projects that I am behind on that I told myself I am only going to make one. :)

Lola

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

Kate, Did you get my blocks? I just want to make sure they arrived.

Thanks, Tamie

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry I'm late with the update! A recurring vertigo problem kept me from spending more than a couple minutes at a time at the computer for the past week.

All I can say about the wonderful participation is WOW and THANKS FOR MAKING THIS SO MUCH FUN! (Have I mentioned recently that I love you quilters?!)

Thanks too for posting pictures of your blocks!

Here's what I have:

k8orlando - 3 (received)
    littlehelen - 3 (received)
    bloomorelse - 3 (received)
    luvtosharedivs - 3 (received)
    mary_c - 3 (received)
    nannykins - 3 (received)
    cziga - 3 (received)
    hazelnutbunny - 3 (received)
    bozogardener - 3 (received)
    calliope - 3 (received)
    loisf - 1
    micyrey - 3
    bev2009 - 1
    beth7happy - 1
    magothyrivergirl - 3
    lola99 - 1
    geezerfolks - 2

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Kate, The confirmation shows you received the blocks yesterday. I sent out 4 packages and they all show on the tracking site as received yet have only heard from one person that it was received. I could have driven them over faster than the mail is taking! Another said she has not received it...... @:(

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Finished the third block tonight. I hope to mail them out tomorrow. Everyone's pictures are beautiful. Hope the newbie luck is with me. LOL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

k8orlando - 3 (received)
    mary_c - 3 (received)
    nannykins - 3 (received)
    cziga - 3 (received)
    calliope - 3 (received)
    geezerfolks - 2 (received)
    loisf - 1
    micyrey - 3
    bev2009 - 1
    beth7happy - 1
    magothyrivergirl - 3
    lola99 - 1

• vasu_texas
    12 years ago

Kate,
    Please put me down for 2 blocks. I almost have them done. Will mail this weekend. I couldn't resist joining after seeing all the pictures.
    Vasu

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

k8orlando - 3 (received)
    mary_c - 3 (received)
    nannykins - 3 (received)
    cziga - 3 (received)
    calliope - 3 (received)
    loisf - 1
    micyrey - 3
    bev2009 - 1
    beth7happy - 1
    magothyrivergirl - 3
    lola99 - 1
    vasu - 2

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Kate, I just finished my February blocks. Two of them will go into the mail this weekend.

• vasu_texas
    12 years ago

Kate,
    Here are mine. They will go out on Monday.

{{gwi:2028347}}
    Vasu

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Beautiful blocks ladies. Color selection is everything, and something I am still learning. It was a lot easier to sew clothes when I usually only had to pick out one fabric! LOL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received two more packages yesterday, with more beautiful blocks. These were from Beth and from Bev; both batches are absolutely gorgeous. Thank you, Quilters!

This is going to make a big, gloriously colorful quilt!

k8orlando - 3 (received)
    mary_c - 3 (received)
    nannykins - 3 (received)
    cziga - 3 (received)
    calliope - 3 (received)
    bev2009 - 3 (received)
    beth7happy - 3 (received)
    loisf - 2 (on the way)
    vasu - 2 (on the way)
    micyrey - 3
    magothyrivergirl - 3
    lola99 - 1

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Could make it reversible! @:)

SharonG/FL

• lola99
    12 years ago

Hey, my block looks very similar to Vasu's!

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    mine are ready to go but I cant find your address, could you send it again
    thanks
    michelle

• Joan Dupuis
    12 years ago

Wow, I'm really going to love winning this lotto. LOL Whoever the winner is will get to make a beautiful quilt... lots of beautiful blocks there. If the winner doesn't need all the blocks, is it customary or acceptable to return the extra's for a 2nd draw? Or maybe instead of returning, the winner to pick a 2nd number for a 2nd prize.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We don't have a standard method if the winner doesn't want them all. I don't want to sort or split the batch so I'll send them all to the winner. They can decide what will happen next! (Personally, I would keep them all and make a big quilt!)

Michelle - I emailed my address to you.

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Kate, did you get my blocks? Because of the Presidents' Day holiday, they went out last Tuesday 2/21. Lois

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They're here, Lois!

I received a couple packages in the mail today. I'll get them all tallied tomorrow. I meant to do it tonight but was distracted by a quilt my longarmer just finished for me. I started on the binding and completely forgot how close to the end of the months we are!!!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

k8orlando - 3 (received)
    mary_c - 3 (received)
    nannykins - 3 (received)
    cziga - 3 (received)
    calliope - 3 (received)
    bev2009 - 3 (received)
    beth7happy - 3 (received)
    loisf - 2 (received)
    vasu - 2 (received)
    micyrey - 3 (received)
    magothyrivergirl - 3 (received)
    lola99 - 1 (received)
    sunnycentralfl - 2 (received)

Tomorrow night we'll have our drawing! Although I have received all pledged blocks, I want to wait until after the mail tomorrow in case someone else has sent something.

So, have you ever thought about this? If you are a salaried worker, tomorrow on Leap Day your company is getting a full day of your work FOR FREE. They don't pay more during Leap Year, right? So it's a free day for them. I think I'll take a long lunch tomorrow!

Kate

• calliope
    12 years ago

LOL Kate, yes..........I thought about that, but I always felt I was getting a two or three day 'freebie' each time february rolled around. A whole month's salary for just twenty eight days!

You know, I once was offered the choice between salaried and salaried exempt, meaning I was given overtime like the hourly workers. I found out the hard way that full salaried meant the company got LOTS of unpaid work hours from me. I don't think I ever went home on a weekend without the briefcase full. ;-) Those were the days before mobile phones, and beepers were like the device from the bowels of hades.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just checked with my neighbor who says the mailman has been there and I have no new packages. So I'm ready for the drawing and I have the full list of names. There are a total of 51 blocks and 46 entries for the drawing. Two people have opted out of the drawing. All of the blocks I've looked at this month are beautifully constructed and the right size. (Yeah, we've got some skills!)

I need two people to help with the drawing. One needs to take the list of names, mix them up, and randomly assign a number to each one. Once that's done you'll email it back to me. When I have it I'll post again that we are ready and the second person gets to pick a number.

So is anyone on line who's willing to help?

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

By the way, here's a really easy way to randomly generate a list of numbers, without the need to mix up the names: http://www.random.org/sequences/

Go to that page, enter 1 as the smallest value and 46 as the greatest value, then click on 'get sequence'. Copy that list of numbers and paste them into the spreadsheet in the column alongside the names. Done!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I'll help out...just let me know what to do!
    My email is: hazelnutbunny@hotmail.com

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK - you have mail!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Got it, Miss Kate! And sent it back to you.

• loisflan
    12 years ago

I'm here, Kate.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK - I've got it! Ms. Lois, if you would, please pick a number from 1 to 46 and post it.

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Number 23!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Number 23 is Bozogardener!!!

Congratulations!!!

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Congratulations, Tamie. Fifty-one blocks! What a quilt that will make!

Thanks again, Kate, for a job well done. Lois

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness! I guess the first timer's luck really does happen! Wow! All of those gorgeous blocks!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Bozogardener~You were hit big time with the lucky fairy dust!
    Woohoo - and so many blocks!!! Please keep them all and make a beautiful large quilt or two!

Congrats! Isn't it exciting to win??!!

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

I am really excited! I can't believe it! Whoo Hoo!

• Joan Dupuis
    12 years ago

Congratulations to the winner. Be sure to show us the end result(s).

Joan

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Congratulations, Tami! You certainly have a lot of beautiful blocks!

THX Kate!

Gwen

• calliope
    12 years ago

Whoooooeeeeee! That's the biggest haul I can remember on the block lotto and it was just a beautiful pattern. Congratulations to Tami.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Congrats, Tamie!
    I can feel your excitement.
    Please keep us posted on your progress, stitching them all together into a gorgeous quilt!

Julie

• littlehelen_gw
    12 years ago

Congratulations to the lucky winner...you have a beautiful set of blocks...so how many quilts will you make?
    V.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll have these ready to mail out on Monday!

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

Thank you, Kate! What a great job you are doing to revitalize this forum. It had gotten a little slow.

I plan to make a quilt (queen size) for my brother and his wife. He doesn't have any from me yet. And yes, I will share pictures of the finished product!

Thank all of you for the congrats!

Tamie