Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOTTO - February 2012

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 13, 12 at 12:23

Thank you for joining in the lotto!

We have had great participation in the first lotto of 2012 and I hope we can continue it this month. I think you'll like this block; it's a good opportunity to use some things out of your stash but you can easily do three blocks with just a couple fat quarters and a beige too, so the cost won't be high even if you don't have much fabric built up yet. It's fast and easy with just a couple half square triangles. When you put a few of these blocks together they form a wonderful, bold secondary pattern; I'm sure it will make a really attractive quilt.

All we need are at least 12 blocks each month to make enough for a wallhanging, baby quilt, lap quilt, donation quilt or even a doggy bed! 12 blocks can even be the center of a much larger quilt; just add borders until you get the size you need. I will guarantee to make 3 blocks each month but you all will have to do the rest.

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:
> each month there will be a designated block or theme
> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks
> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches
> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks(Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)
> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing
> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in
> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair

February 2012

For February, the block will be Contrary Wife. Use the link below or go to Quilterscache.com for instructions. We don't have a particular color theme this month, but try to use a deep color in a small print along with a more pronounced print in a complimentary color; the background should be beige (tonal, tone on tone, small print, marble, muslin, etc). No juvenile or novelty prints. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams.

I've attached pictures of the three blocks I made for this one.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. This is YOUR lotto!

Kate

This shows the three blocks and one way to set them together to get an interesting secondary pattern. You could also do diagonal stripes or zig zags. (Sorry the photos are a little fuzzy! Looks like I needed better light!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Contrary Wife

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOTTO - February 2012

Is this a twelve inch block?

o

Yes, it is. 12" in the quilt, but will measure 12.5" with raw edges.

o

Yoohoooo, I'm in for February. I love the fabric in the purple and green blocks. Now these dark colors will make a beautiful project. How do I get your address when ready to mail? Can you tell I'm pumped? LOL

Joan

o

I'm glad you like it! I love these colors.
You don't have your email available on your GardenWeb page, but if you send me an email I'll send the address back to you. You can get my email address by clicking on My Page after my GW name.

o

Thanks. I've edited my profile so that my email address shows... I think.

o

New poster here, Kate.

This sounds like fun.
Count me in for at least one block, maybe more.
After just over a year of quilting, I have finally built up a stash that I can dig into.
I've never made a Contrary Wife block, so this will be a learning experience.

Question: Do you all press your seams to the side, or is pressing them open O.K. too? I have found that pressing the seams open makes for less bulk, and easier to quilt over. But if the general rule is to press to the side, I certainly will.

Julie

o

Oops... I answered you through email instead of here! Short answer: pressing open is OK. I am a side presser but that's just a personal preference because I like the way seams nest together so I don't have to pin them.

Kate

o

Kate, I'm in for at least one. Lois

o

For those interested in future blocks, I just posted the list. Click on the link below to get to that post.

And here's a better picture of the February blocks:

Here is a link that might be useful: 2012 lotto block pattern links

o

I'm in for 3. :)

o

I'll put in two or three! It's a pretty block.

Tamie

o

Hello
I would like to be in for three this minth.
I love this block.
Michelle

o

It's just the middle of January but we have a great group started for February already!

k8orlando - 3
bloomorelse - 1+
luvtosharedivs - 1+
loisf - 1+
hazelnutbunny - 3
bozogardener - 2or3
micyrey - 3

Doin' the February Happy Dance!

o

Count me in for at least one. (I don't want the pressure of more until I decide on the fabric and get sewing. LOL)

o

13 pieces. I'll try this one, too! This really IS a good way to learn. ...and to use up small amounts of fabric.

o

You can put me in for one I just finished. What a FUN block, and I love the way the patterns come together. If I can, I'll do more. I took a tremendous fall on the ice five days ago walking down the lane to pick up the mail at the road. I went so my husband wouldn't fall. LOL. My arm was in a sling up until yesterday and I am having problems putting enough pressure on it to hold down the ruler when using a rotary cutter. It didn't help I am on my second new machine in less than two months. I've only had this one a few days and the feet and markings are all different than my old machine and I'm still on the learning curve.

o

Put me down for three Kate. As has happened before with quilt lotto blocks, I fell in love with this one, and a quilt is going to happen. I would have never envisioned it as you interpreted it with the fabrics, but now I can't see it any other way. If I work ahead to other months, is is alright if I post them together in one envelope?

Photobucket

o

Calliope - Great blocks!! I'm really glad you like Contrary Wife; it's become another favorite for me and I'm planning to use it for a QOV in scrappy blues and dark reds. It was through the lottos that I fell in love with the Buckeye Beauty block and ended up using it for a big quilt. The lotto also introduced me to 1930's reproduction fabrics, which I now love. There are so many great blocks out there!

It's perfectly OK to send blocks early and to combine a couple months in one mailing. Please include $1 for each month so I have enough to mail out winning blocks.

Here's the updated list for February:
k8orlando - 3 (received)
littlehelen - 3 (received)
bloomorelse - 1+
luvtosharedivs - 1+
loisf - 1+
hazelnutbunny - 3
bozogardener � 2 or 3
micyrey - 3
bev2009 - 1+
beth7happy - 1+
calliope - 3

o

Calliope - hope your arm is better - make sure you keep moving / lifting it away from your body at the shoulder so you don't get a frozen shoulder.

I love seeing the pictures of the different variations of the blocks that are being made for the Lottos. It helps me pick colors that I hope will play nice & make someone a great looking quilt. calliope's pic just made me pull out different fabric to make my blocks~LOL

Put me down for 3. This is a great block-easy and I agree the way Kate determined the placement of the larger print and shades is very appealing.

o

Whoopie!

I just found the perfect beige for the background! In my stash! Honestly, you can't know how unusual this is for me - I use whites or blacks for backgrounds 99% of the time.

Sign me up for 1, but I'll try to work in 3.

o

I've got 3 for Feb and 3 for Apr done and should be in the mail in the next couple of days. Figured I might as well save a little on shipping.

Feb lotto block

Apr lotto block

o

Get them in the mail soon. Canada Post is verrrry slow!
The blocks I sent 2 weeks ago have not been received yet.
Theresa

o

Beautiful!

I'm checking the mailbox for packages everyday!

o

Bloomorelse, I love Batiks - your fabric and blocks are gorgeous!
The Bento block is an exciting block - you are so ahead!

And my 3 for February:
Contrary wide Lotto Feb2012

o

Oh boy.......lovin' ALL those blocks! I gotta have a quilt like this. If I don't win this lotto, I guess it means I have to start from scratch. LOL.

o

I will have mine in tomorrow's mail.

Kate~ Will you please email me with your address? My email is hazelnutbunny@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Melissa

o

I am sending three out tomorrow! Fun blocks!

o

Thanks for the heads up on mailing time. Just got mine off in the mail today. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to get there. Maybe they were slow earlier due to the Christmas rush.

o

Sign me up. I've finished 3 blocks and am going to drop them in the mail tomorrow :)

I love the pattern and colour scheme that was chosen ... it looks like they are all going to make a really gorgeous quilt for someone!!

o

Kate, I've sent you an email. I have 2 completed but do not want to be in the drawing. Need your addy please.

SharonG/FL

o

I think I've sent the address to all who have requested it. If I missed you, let me know!!!

Kate

o

Mailed today, 3 for February and 3 for March
Theresa

o

k8orlando - 3 (received)
bloomorelse - 3
luvtosharedivs - 1+
loisf - 1+
hazelnutbunny - 3
bozogardener - 3
micyrey - 3
bev2009 - 1+
beth7happy - 1+
calliope - 3
nannykins - 3
magothyrivergirl - 3
mary_c - 1+
cziga - 3
geezerfolks - 2

o

It looks like we have enough blocks for two drawings, maybe? There are a lot more than 24!

o

Kate, you can change mine to Three:)
They are finished, but I won't mail them until Feb.

Julie

o

I want to have only one drawing ~ winner takes all. The more blocks in the pot makes it more exciting and the winner will have more options - including choosing to split the blocks in another drawing like calliope so generously did with her Christmas/holiday blocks when she won so many.

I think I won 32 blocks the 1st time I won. I think it should remain at 1 drawing - it is fun to see so many players and blocks in the Lotto!

o

I agree. The participation is always better when the pot starts growing. I don't know what size quilts everyone else makes but I'd need at least fifty six of them to make a full size quilt for one of my beds and still have to fudge a little with borders. Submitting three just to win eight more isn't much of an incentive to participate unless you were just being a good sport. Kate has it up and cranking. Let's not mess with it!!!!!

o

Oh, OK! I have never done these, and I didn't know the parameters. I am used to birthday block groups, where you get 12. Just my personal mindset. I don't want to change anything!

o

LOL Bozogardener. Welcome aboard if it's your maiden voyage in the Block Lotto. Perhaps you'll have beginner's luck and hit the jackpot.

o

yes - Bozogardener - you will have much luck - I won on the 1st Lotto I played - I actually thought it was a joke on the newbie ~lol~
I think all the new players are automatically sprinkled with lucky magic dust.

o

That's funny about beginners luck, lol ... the only block lotto I ever won was one of the first I entered as well!! It was a couple years ago, and was a February/Valentines day one as well. I'm actually just working on finishing up the quilting on a tablerunner of red hearts using 4 of those blocks for this year's Valentines Day table :) I used the rest of the blocks (which were pink) to make a lap quilt which was donated to the Cancer wing of our hospital. It was so exciting to win the lotto, especially one of the first times I entered ... beginner's luck can be powerful, lol :)

I hope this kind of participation lasts throughout the year. Perhaps with so many people taking a break from the birthday blocks this year, the Lotto will be "busy" all year round!!

o

Heads up Kate. I just mailed my February and March blocks today. So they should be there at month's start.

o

BTTT. Have the blocks arrived Kate?

o

Ok, I thought I had mailed the blocks off last week, but found the envelope behind the microwave this morning! What it was doing there is a mystery. LoL! But it IS MAILED now, I promise! Walked it out to the mailbox myself. Sheesh, I'm glad the nesting thing kicked in this morning & I got the urge to scrub everything in the kitchen. :P

I have participated in lots of lottos, but haven't won any! :( But that's OK. I enjoy making the blocks & it's fun to see who will win. Although....there have been some really nice ones that I was hankering for! LoL!

o

Yes, Calliope, I have your blocks. A few others are here too. I'll get the list updated this weekend and posted!

Kate

o

Curses, Kate!! Curses, I say!

Yes, I loved this block, and now have another quilt on my list. In fact, I loved my blocks so much I'm having a difficult time putting them in the envelope to mail, LOL.

I going to try to get next month's blocks done this weekend. But whether I do or not, February's blocks will be on the way by Monday.

Photobucket

o

Ohhhhh Pretty Mary. Isn't this a great block? I love the simplicity of the squares - lets the fabrics shine.

o

Kate,

Just a heads up...

I mailed three blocks today, so you can be watching for them:)

Julie

o

hello
I got my pieces cut for Feb, March and April.
Will work on sewing tomarrow.
all this warm weather has me wanting to play in the dirt when I need to be sewing.
michelle

o

Kate, you can put me down for one. I really would like to make 3 to increase my chances of winning as this is going to make a STUNNING quilt and I would love to win! But, I have so many other projects that I am behind on that I told myself I am only going to make one. :)

Lola

o

Kate, Did you get my blocks? I just want to make sure they arrived.

Thanks, Tamie

o

Sorry I'm late with the update! A recurring vertigo problem kept me from spending more than a couple minutes at a time at the computer for the past week.

All I can say about the wonderful participation is WOW and THANKS FOR MAKING THIS SO MUCH FUN! (Have I mentioned recently that I love you quilters?!)

Thanks too for posting pictures of your blocks!

Here's what I have:

k8orlando - 3 (received)
bloomorelse - 3 (received)
luvtosharedivs - 3 (received)
mary_c - 3 (received)
nannykins - 3 (received)
cziga - 3 (received)
hazelnutbunny - 3 (received)
bozogardener - 3 (received)
calliope - 3 (received)
loisf - 1
micyrey - 3
bev2009 - 1
beth7happy - 1
magothyrivergirl - 3
lola99 - 1
geezerfolks - 2

o

Kate, The confirmation shows you received the blocks yesterday. I sent out 4 packages and they all show on the tracking site as received yet have only heard from one person that it was received. I could have driven them over faster than the mail is taking! Another said she has not received it...... @:(

SharonG/FL

o

Finished the third block tonight. I hope to mail them out tomorrow. Everyone's pictures are beautiful. Hope the newbie luck is with me. LOL

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

k8orlando - 3 (received)
mary_c - 3 (received)
nannykins - 3 (received)
cziga - 3 (received)
calliope - 3 (received)
geezerfolks - 2 (received)
loisf - 1
micyrey - 3
bev2009 - 1
beth7happy - 1
magothyrivergirl - 3
lola99 - 1

o

Kate,
Please put me down for 2 blocks. I almost have them done. Will mail this weekend. I couldn't resist joining after seeing all the pictures.
Vasu

o

k8orlando - 3 (received)
mary_c - 3 (received)
nannykins - 3 (received)
cziga - 3 (received)
calliope - 3 (received)
loisf - 1
micyrey - 3
bev2009 - 1
beth7happy - 1
magothyrivergirl - 3
lola99 - 1
vasu - 2

o

Kate, I just finished my February blocks. Two of them will go into the mail this weekend.

Photobucket

o

Kate,
Here are mine. They will go out on Monday.

Photobucket
Vasu

o

Beautiful blocks ladies. Color selection is everything, and something I am still learning. It was a lot easier to sew clothes when I usually only had to pick out one fabric! LOL

o

I received two more packages yesterday, with more beautiful blocks. These were from Beth and from Bev; both batches are absolutely gorgeous. Thank you, Quilters!

This is going to make a big, gloriously colorful quilt!

k8orlando - 3 (received)
mary_c - 3 (received)
nannykins - 3 (received)
cziga - 3 (received)
calliope - 3 (received)
bev2009 - 3 (received)
beth7happy - 3 (received)
loisf - 2 (on the way)
vasu - 2 (on the way)
micyrey - 3
magothyrivergirl - 3
lola99 - 1

o

Could make it reversible! @:)

SharonG/FL

o

Hey, my block looks very similar to Vasu's!
Photobucket

o

hello
mine are ready to go but I cant find your address, could you send it again
thanks
michelle

o

Wow, I'm really going to love winning this lotto. LOL Whoever the winner is will get to make a beautiful quilt... lots of beautiful blocks there. If the winner doesn't need all the blocks, is it customary or acceptable to return the extra's for a 2nd draw? Or maybe instead of returning, the winner to pick a 2nd number for a 2nd prize.

o

We don't have a standard method if the winner doesn't want them all. I don't want to sort or split the batch so I'll send them all to the winner. They can decide what will happen next! (Personally, I would keep them all and make a big quilt!)

Michelle - I emailed my address to you.

o

Kate, did you get my blocks? Because of the Presidents' Day holiday, they went out last Tuesday 2/21. Lois

o

They're here, Lois!

I received a couple packages in the mail today. I'll get them all tallied tomorrow. I meant to do it tonight but was distracted by a quilt my longarmer just finished for me. I started on the binding and completely forgot how close to the end of the months we are!!!

o
last day!

k8orlando - 3 (received)
mary_c - 3 (received)
nannykins - 3 (received)
cziga - 3 (received)
calliope - 3 (received)
bev2009 - 3 (received)
beth7happy - 3 (received)
loisf - 2 (received)
vasu - 2 (received)
micyrey - 3 (received)
magothyrivergirl - 3 (received)
lola99 - 1 (received)
sunnycentralfl - 2 (received)

Tomorrow night we'll have our drawing! Although I have received all pledged blocks, I want to wait until after the mail tomorrow in case someone else has sent something.

So, have you ever thought about this? If you are a salaried worker, tomorrow on Leap Day your company is getting a full day of your work FOR FREE. They don't pay more during Leap Year, right? So it's a free day for them. I think I'll take a long lunch tomorrow!

Kate

o

LOL Kate, yes..........I thought about that, but I always felt I was getting a two or three day 'freebie' each time february rolled around. A whole month's salary for just twenty eight days!

You know, I once was offered the choice between salaried and salaried exempt, meaning I was given overtime like the hourly workers. I found out the hard way that full salaried meant the company got LOTS of unpaid work hours from me. I don't think I ever went home on a weekend without the briefcase full. ;-) Those were the days before mobile phones, and beepers were like the device from the bowels of hades.

o

I just checked with my neighbor who says the mailman has been there and I have no new packages. So I'm ready for the drawing and I have the full list of names. There are a total of 51 blocks and 46 entries for the drawing. Two people have opted out of the drawing. All of the blocks I've looked at this month are beautifully constructed and the right size. (Yeah, we've got some skills!)

I need two people to help with the drawing. One needs to take the list of names, mix them up, and randomly assign a number to each one. Once that's done you'll email it back to me. When I have it I'll post again that we are ready and the second person gets to pick a number.

So is anyone on line who's willing to help?

Kate

o
Random number list generator

By the way, here's a really easy way to randomly generate a list of numbers, without the need to mix up the names: http://www.random.org/sequences/

Go to that page, enter 1 as the smallest value and 46 as the greatest value, then click on 'get sequence'. Copy that list of numbers and paste them into the spreadsheet in the column alongside the names. Done!

o

I'll help out...just let me know what to do!
My email is: hazelnutbunny@hotmail.com

o
Ready Set Go

OK - you have mail!

o

Got it, Miss Kate! And sent it back to you.

o

I'm here, Kate.

o
next!

OK - I've got it! Ms. Lois, if you would, please pick a number from 1 to 46 and post it.

o
And the winner is....

Number 23!

o

Number 23 is Bozogardener!!!

Congratulations!!!

o
Congrats

Congratulations, Tamie. Fifty-one blocks! What a quilt that will make!

Thanks again, Kate, for a job well done. Lois

o

Oh my goodness! I guess the first timer's luck really does happen! Wow! All of those gorgeous blocks!

o

Bozogardener~You were hit big time with the lucky fairy dust!
Woohoo - and so many blocks!!! Please keep them all and make a beautiful large quilt or two!

Congrats! Isn't it exciting to win??!!

o
re: lotto

I am really excited! I can't believe it! Whoo Hoo!

o

Congratulations to the winner. Be sure to show us the end result(s).

Joan

o

Congratulations, Tami! You certainly have a lot of beautiful blocks!

THX Kate!

Gwen

o

Whoooooeeeeee! That's the biggest haul I can remember on the block lotto and it was just a beautiful pattern. Congratulations to Tami.

o

Congrats, Tamie!
I can feel your excitement.
Please keep us posted on your progress, stitching them all together into a gorgeous quilt!

Julie

o

Congratulations to the lucky winner...you have a beautiful set of blocks...so how many quilts will you make?
V.

o

I'll have these ready to mail out on Monday!

o

Thank you, Kate! What a great job you are doing to revitalize this forum. It had gotten a little slow.

I plan to make a quilt (queen size) for my brother and his wife. He doesn't have any from me yet. And yes, I will share pictures of the finished product!

Thank all of you for the congrats!

Tamie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here