Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

2010 bom/ba - add your projects & pictures!

solstice98
14 years ago

Each year, some quilters decide to do a Block of the Month project. For those of you who haven't done one, the idea is to commit to making one block each month and end the year with 12 completed blocks. It's a fun way to tackle long term projects or even mystery quilts. It can be organized - several websites offer patterns with a new block posted each month - or taken from a book or even something you make up on your own. No rules; just quilting.

I would love to see what others are doing and I hope we can all either post pictures here or at least share information about our projects. Maybe we can even encourage one another to keep going through the year when our projects start to lag. If you know of a good site for BOM patterns, please add those too! We may start as a small group but inspire others to get started throughout the year. You don't have to start in January - feel free to jump in anytime!

So here's my first block and a brief description of my project! As I complete blocks I'll post those pictures too.

BLOCK 1 - KATE'S BALTIMORE ALBUM QUILT

I'm making a Baltimore Album quilt and all the applique will be done by hand. One block per month, if I can. Hand applique is new for me and I expect my technique and skill to get better as I go through the year. The blocks are from a book of contemporary applique patterns by Edyta Sitar called Hop to It. Yes, there will be a bunny, but not for a few months yet. I'm planning on using all batiks on a white Kona background. The sashing and borders will probably be a colorful combination of all the fabrics used in the blocks.

This is just my second hand applique block ever. I made the first one a week ago but didn't love the pattern and abandoned that plan after I finished the block in favor of the one you see above.

OK, let's see yours!

Kate

Comments (52)

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jayne - glad you are joining in!

Toolgranny - thanks for that link! I fell in love with several blocks and was impressed there were so many different styles.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Yesterday I was looking at the upcoming classes offered at the LQS and googled one of the instructors to see how "famous"
    she is:). I saved this article to post for those of you working on the Baltimore Album, thinking you might enjoy the article and pictures of her work. I think this is a perfect place to post it for you to see her beautiful applique work.

Kate - I have decided to do a BOM PP and was thinking of posting asking again if anyone wanted to join me - what is the best protocol? Post on this thread? A separate thread for PP BOM - a separate thread for regular piecing BOM? I think it is a great idea to have the added pressure to post our blocks ~LOL~

Your block is pretty - I love it in batiks. I also found a demo on how some batiks are made - I'll post that separately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Judy Shapiro's Baltimore Album

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think we can group all BOM quilts in one place. The method or style doesn't matter as much in this case as the length of the project. So let's all join in here and keep each other on track. Please, post pictures as often as you want! I know I would love to see them whether it's paper piecing, machine applique, hand applique or piecing. One block a month - we can do this!

Kate

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

You all are inspiring! I'm not ready to tackle a BA, but I can't wait to see what you do! I would think that batiks would be grand to use for hand applique; often very tightly woven fabric is used in the making of batiks.

Teresa

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I have decided to join into the BOM. I will doing Paper Piecing from Peggy Martin's "Quick-Strip Paper Piecing". I am attempting to do the quilt - or version- on the cover. I would love it if anyone wants to join me. I have provided a link to the book.

I made one block on New Years Day for a 2010 B'day Gal so I can't post a picture (or it won't be a surprise). I actually got the book from the library to make her block, then decided to buy the book. I loved her block so much, it determined my color scheme for my BOM and the talk here about doing a BOM has given me the incentive. I did find that I didn't really use the strip method - I started to, but fell into my very limited way of PP after the second seam. I am going to try to use her method on a complete block. If anyone has experience with this strip PP method, I'd love your input.

Here is a link that might be useful: Book

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Those pp blocks are beautiful! Are you going to use those colors? I like the vibrant blues and brights they show on the cover. I may have to put that one on my list for 2011.

Kate

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Teresa, I meant to say this in the last post:

This isn't just for Baltimore Album quilts. Any block of the month project will do just fine. So if you want to join in there are lots of options. The more the merrier!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

Kate, I'll join. For some reason, I've been into Chocolate for a few months and started this Chocolate Stars BOM in August. Only made the first 3 blocks then it got put on the back burner for more important things. Some of these blocks will be a challenge, and maybe that'll be the word for me this year as I find myself pushing toward things I've sidestepped in the past.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Fat Cat Pattern - Chocolate Stars

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sharon, those star are scrumptious! Milk chocolate, dark chocolate and some caramel too! Yummy!

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

I've been working on my BA this afternoon. I'm deviating a little from the traditional BA by having a large 30" block in the center. I found the pattern in a mag (McCall's Qltng, I think) Robert Callaham's "Everlasting". I'll put more traditioal blocks around it. I do plan on finishing the center block this month, but there are 272 pcs of applique on it! Nothing like starting off with a big bite!
    After checking my scanner, DS informs me I need a new one. Go figure! He couldn't have discovered that BEFORE Santa came?! Hopefully by the end of the month I'll have one.
    I still owe someone (?who?) a pic of my tonal quilt. I won't forget to.
    Took a supper break, now it's back to needle & thread...

~Cindy

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

Kate, love your BA block! The fabrics you chose are awesome.

I am participating in a BOM at my LQS. Actually two, one block a month for 12 months and a two block a month for six months.

Rebecca

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rebecca - WOW! You are going to be busy! We would love to see pictures!

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Kate, you know I'm IN, just need to find the time ... I think that next weekend I will be in a place to advise on my progress. I do like this block that you've posted here; the colors are glorious. I think you are going to find that hand applique is relaxing, once you're ready to just sit and sew. Just keep at it; your subsequent blocks are likely to become more complex and intricate and your skills are going to get better and better with practice.

You're on your way, kiddo. Way to go!

Odessa

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Okay I'm in. I think I've found my pattern and will use hand dyed fabrics - so I can make more if I run out. I won't tell you which pattern yet as I might change my mind a few times before I actually start cutting. I'll make a BA type on white background, with cool colors of purples and blues, green leaves. If this works, I'll post a picture of first block at end of the month. Mine might not be 12 blocks as design calls for 9. But, I can ignore that and make 3 duplicates in different colors if I want.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

So, it looks like we have 3 BOM groups for Show and Tell:

Hand Applique BOM - very impressive group & plans :)

Sharon is doing Machine Piecing while eating chocolate bon bons (I should join her group!)

And me in the Paper Piecing Group - who has not started or found the right black yet - but I picked out the pattern and have a vision :)

Which group do you fall into Rebecca? You busy gal!

Like Kate stated - please join! She is going to keep us on track!

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, I want bon bons too! We can be the BonBon BOMBAs!

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

You are too funny!!!
    That would make me the BonBon BOMPP
    & Sharon the BonBon BOMMP
    Looks like we are official now - we've got names!

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe we just call ourselves BonBonBOM!

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

BonBonBOM has a nice ring to it :)

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

Put me in the BOM!

Rebecca

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

Kate your block is gorgeous!!!!!
    I started collecting the Choc Stars, but I have a brown sofa and cinnamon love seat with beige carpet.
    I need some color LOL!!!
    I have also been collecting the Nancy Rink BOM.
    I'm in, just have to make up my mind! I really like the choc stars.
    Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: GalacticExplosion

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That Galactic Explosion in red would give you lots of color! It's beautiful!

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

I have finished the 1st. block for my 12 days of christmas.
    Blocks are designed by Marchia Hohn from Quilterscache.
    Block #1.
    Needle turn applique. Batiks on natural muslin.[IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x223/nanajaynecarol/100_1543.jpg[/IMG]

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Lovely block. (this link might help) Looks like a good BOM .

Here is a link that might be useful:

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Jayne - that block is so pretty - that looks like so much work & tedious!

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Jayne, that is a lovely partridge in a pear wreath! you've done a very nice job. Way to go. I'm anxious to see the rest of what you will be working on.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I have completed 2 months of the Bom-PP project I selected from the book Peggy Martin's "Quick - Strip Paper Piecing". The strip PP method -chain piecing- is not working for me. I really tried. Her book is good for a beginner who has PP before - I've taken 2 classes with 2 different instructors, so I am by no means more than a beginner w/some experience. This is a big project - 14 star & pinwheel shaped blocks, 12 stepping stones blocks, sashing, flying geese PP & 6" star borders. I've actually done flying geese curved PP-so this one should be easier. I'm posting my pictures - if any of you experienced PPers have tips, suggestions - or criticism - I am listening. This is a learning process for me. The paper is still attached to the backs of the blocks, so I cannot press the blocks flat yet.

Simple Star & Stargaze

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

MRG - I think your blocks are just beautiful. LOVE the colors and the way they seem to explode off the black background! I can't help you with PP hints as I am not familiar with Peggy Martin's book or her method. I would simply recommend you keep at it. Take each step slow and easy. Think everything through before you cut, stitch, or press. All will come out well, and you're doing a beautiful job.

I have also decided on my project now, too. Unfortunately, I am at work and can't begin to tell you what it is supposed to look like, but I believe it will be stunning ... at least I hope so.

TTFN,

Odessa

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

I think your blocks are lovily, like the colors. PP is not my thing but I do appreciate how nice it turns out. It sounds like you have a real big project going and I am sure you will do it just fine. Looking forward to seeing more blocks. TFS Jayne

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

I'm not sure why you aren't pressing them flat. I press each seam as I go and have never let the paper stop me from pressing. I do sometimes remove it from a seam allowance for less bulk when I press.

Those are lovely and I think you're doing great.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Thank you ladies.
    Toolgranny - she says in her book that the block becomes bulky from the paper, and will not press flat - and I just reread it - she removes the paper before that time. See what I learned!!! For the most part, the blocks are all pressed well at each seam, but the seams sewing the 4 quadrants are not laying flat because of the paper. On the next block I cut off the 1/4 seam allowance at the beginning, so I don't have to deal with it. When I learned to PP, it was on teeney tiny pointy pcs, so no seam allowance. The pic shows it folded back.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW - beautiful! I like the blocks and the colors. When I was going through a forgotten drawer of patterns recently I came across a PP pattern I purchased in 1999!!! I loved it and thought I would use it to learn PP... but I didn't. It totally intimidated me and I just stuck it in a drawer. Now I'm kind of inspired to pull it out and give it a try. (What??? ANOTHER project?!?! LOL, can you have too many?)

Kate

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

No, Kate, you can NEVER have too many projects!

Okay, so here is a link to the BA-BOM I'm planning to do. Have to order the first five blocks, but just need to remember to keep up with checking for the new blocks each month. I think it's going to be quite pretty. Now, to find the time .......

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Gentleman BOM

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

odessa - a very striking quilt. What colors have you chosen?
    You are planning hand applique, am I correct?

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Odessa,that's one of my favorite websites for patterns. I saw that one but not sure I could do it. It will be lovely. Anxious to see your first block.

I was at the Road to California show yesterday in Ontario and this year's "trend" are the BA quilts. They are everywhere and quite lovely. Makes me want to hide mine in a dark room when I'm done. The quilting on them is amazing. There were very few pieced, traditional quilts there. Guess we're all getting a bit arty!

• lola99
    14 years ago

Odessa, I just sent you an email.

Lola

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

mrg-yes, I am planning on hand applique. I'm thinking of black, cream and tan/beige, I think, perhaps with a little crimson thrown in for zip.

Lola, got your e-mail; thank you! I really am excited about this BOM. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and encouragement. I'll post something when it's done.

• new2quilting
    14 years ago

Toolgranny, I was at Road on Thursday as well! That's where I bought this cute Susan Branch fabric and felted wool to make the new Bunny Hill free BOM "Snowbound". Really love the fabric and the pattern. Machine stitched and hand embroidered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snowbound pattern

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

Real cute snowman! Great job. Is this going to become a quilt or a wall hanging? Jayne

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

This is Block #1 of the Bountiful Baskets BOM that I am participating in at the LQS. I am not a fan of baskets or the civil war fabrics, but it is perfect gift for my Mother for next Christmas.

The other BOM starts next month and will run for 6 months.

Rebecca

Here is a link that might be useful: Bountiful Baskets

• new2quilting
    14 years ago

Jayne, I'm planning on making the whole snowman quilt, the Bunny Hill patterns are always so cute. I do have a monthly wallhanging I want to make as well. I may just start with February on that one, so I can hang it up at the beginning of the month!

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

Rebecca, Your mother will love it. It looks like more then 12mo. worth of work though.
    new2quilting, can't wait to see the rest of them.
    Jayne

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I finished another of my PP blocks - this is good American Idol activity!

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

New2quilting - Really cute snowman - I like your machine applique - that is the stitch I am starting to favor.

Rebecca - that's alot of baskets to make, but it will make a lovely quilt for your Mother.

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Kate, since you are the author of all this, why not post a new thread at end of the month and we'll all post our blocks there, whether pieced or appliqued. You've already made one so you can re-post your block and we'll follow. I have mine done now and that's a start for me. But, it will be "cleaner" if we have a new thread each month don't you think?

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok. I'll do it at the end of the month.

Kate

• new2quilting
    14 years ago

Why not just post a "february BOM" block thread next (and one for each month)? I love seeing people's blocks as they make them, it's kind of inspiration and a kick in the butt, and a reward when you get one done that you can post it. I wouldn't want to wait for the end of the month for everyone to post. This post pretty much has people's January blocks.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't mean the end of February, I meant the end of January. Sorry if that was confusing.

Originally my idea was that we would just continue this thread, posting new blocks as we completed them, so that we could scroll back and see the progression of each project. I still like that plan but if we want to do a new post each month I'm OK with that too.

You can always post a new block to the thread, whether you complete one each month, 2 or none. This is a no pressure BOM.

So, to clean it up:
    * I'll post a new thread in a couple days for "BOM 2010-January".
    * And I'll post one at the same time for "BOM 2010-February".
    * As we said from the beginning, it doesn't matter what type of Block of the Month you are doing: any method or style is OK. You can start with January or join in any time; there's no reason we can't continue this right along into next year with people starting and finishing projects all along the way.

If you've completed a block in January, add it to that thread. When you complete one for February, post it in that thread. Towards the end of February I'll do one for March and so on.

A suggestion: when you add a picture of your new block, include a second photo that shows all of your completed blocks. That way we'll be able to see the progression without pulling up old threads.

Does that work for everyone?

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I think you should link all previous months' thread in your first post for the new month. For example, the cooking forum has a "cookalong + ingredient", (after much heated debate), one person links all the previous cookalongs in the new thread naming the new ingredient. That way, all the previous discussion, questions, help, etc is easily available via links within the new thread - ours would be monthly. For example,in your 1st April BOM post you'd write the standard short blurb about the BOM - than within the body of the post you would link to the previous completed months:
    BOM-Jan-2010
    BOM-Feb-2010
    BOM-Mar-2010
    That way we wouldn't lose the progression & history, but only the current BOM would be in the new thread.
    It would be faster for those who have slower connections where 6 pictures (July) in multiple posts may not open. I'm on FIOS - so this is not my problem.
    Look at the Cooking Forum as an example - it is organized and nice to have it all in one place.
    Kate - Thanks for organizing this BOM - you have definitely inspired me and I like reading what others are doing!
    I appreciate your Techno-Twinkieness :)

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will definitely add the links.