Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gininmn

Long MIA - Warning long post

gininmn
9 years ago

(Frustration: just lost a post I was typing--hit a wrong key?! Phooey!) I've been away from posting here for a very long time and decided that today I would do something about it and stop to say hello to those of you who remember me and those who don't. I attended, with my husband along, the wonderful 2010 GW Quilting Retreat at Camp Cheerio, meeting a great group of quilters who immediately became dear friends. Only 10 days after the retreat, when we'd finished doing fun vacation things in NC and W VA and we'd had an unexpected delay in our trip home when I had an emergency appendectomy in Gallipolis, OH, my dear husband Darryl died by accidental drowning. On November 2, 2010, life changed drastically for me, including things I'm responsible for taking care of around here, never to be the same. I've never gotten back to quilting except for a few small gift projects and have not even gotten supplies that I'd taken along put away and my quilting room back in shape. Because I was restricted from lifting much weight after surgery, Darryl brought things in from the van and put them in my room. I've gotten out things I've needed but found it difficult to go in and do the rest. This morning, I made a commitment to some new positive steps for my life as a widow, such as it is. One of those is to get back to my quilting. I was a rookie in 2010 and still am. I have been visiting this forum fairly often and reading the posts often but haven't done much more. It's time for me to step up and do more, here and in my quilting room. I appreciated the friendship of those of you I met at Camp Cheerio and love and treasure the comfort quilt you made me after Darryl died. It sits on my rocker in my living room where I admire it or cuddle up with it. Well, enough blabbering from me (don't want it what I'm writing to disappear again).

Comments (18)

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

It's so good to hear from you Ginny. We were so lucky to have met Daryl and we treasure that time we had with both of you. You were both such lovely people. I'm glad you are getting back to quilting. It is a way to express yourself and relieve some of the burdens you have been carrying. We send only the best of wishes for you.

Linda/Toolgranny

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I never met you, Ginny, but I am so sorry for your loss. Sometimes it takes a while to pull ourselves back together after such a tragedy, and I'm glad you are ready to take the next step. I can't think of a more supportive group than this forum. Welcome back.

By your screen name, I'm guessing you might be from Minnesota. Did I guess right?

• gininmn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Linda and Lois (assumed from your screen name). Yes, I live in Duluth. Saw by your page info, loisf, you're from MN too. Where in MN?

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Welcome back!
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Ginn, I was just thinking about you yesterday! Wondering how you were doing. It's great to hear from you. It sounds like you've made some good (but hard) decisions.

Welcome back!

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Ginny, sooooo glad to hear from you! I have the magnet you gave us on the frig and the kids ask about it periodically.

I think of you often and am glad you are getting back to your quilting. I'm sure it will be challenging, but it sounds like you have a new strength to pull you through.

Glad you are back!
    Jennifer

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Ginny, we live in Orono. It's a western suburb of Minneapolis on Lake Minnetonka. I'm fairly familiar with Duluth. It's a beautiful city with Lake Superior at its doorstep. I have friends who live on London Road. If you ever get down to the Twin Cities, be sure to let me know and we can get together.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Ginny, I remember and cannot imagine all that you have had to deal with since that time. I'm glad you've been able to come to a decision of posting and to get back into quilting. What have you planned for your first project?

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

This is a great place for support and although I don't remember you, ( I may not have been around then) I am pleased you have found your way back and have taken the difficult step to find a new path. Will be looking forward to hearing more about your new adventure.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

So sorry to hear you lost your husband. Sounds like you've had a difficult few years. What a great step to start connecting with your old friends.

I'm pretty new to the forum, but I love hearing about everyone's quilting adventures and seeing the beautiful work they do. It's a real bright spot and keeps me encouraged to keep quilting.
    LindaB/CA

• grammyp
    9 years ago

It is so good to hear from you again. I am so sorry for all the difficulties you have had and have kept you in my prayers. Tim and I so enjoyed meeting you and Darryl and it would be wonderful if you would come back to retreat this year.

beverly

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Ginny, I wasn't on the forum at that time, but I'm glad you are back. I know this group of lovely people will be a blessing to you. I'm sure not too many people have heard of Gallipolis, OH, but that is where my husband's ancestors settled after coming from France. While my husband's cousin was searching for our roots in the area, she found a newspaper article that our patriarch was meeting General Lafayette at the dock for a visit, which is cool. I don't remember the year.

• fran1523
    9 years ago

Ginny, it is so good to hear from you. I was at that retreat and remember you and Daryl very well. I attended my first retreat six months after my husband died and found it to be very therapeutic. I'm glad you're finding the strength and courage to move on. It's not easy but it gets better.

Fran

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Ginny...I joined the forum sometime in 2011 or 2012...can never remember...anyway, while we've not met, I understand the difficult times you've been through. It's nice to know you are re-acquainting yourself with old friends and will get to meet the newbies. I look forward to reading more of your posts and seeing your quilts! Welcome back!
    V.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Ginny! Although I wasn't at that Cheerio retreat, I remember you very well and am happy to have you back with us. I hope you do get back in to your quilting and this forum - and that both bring you some comfort and peace. Hugs to you!

Kate

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Hi, Ginny! It's so good to hear from you! Don't be hard on yourself - we all have our times away from our quilting, for one reason or another. But our love of sewing and fabric is always waiting for us, as are your friends here.

Baby steps, baby steps.....one day at a time.

Teresa

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I have never met you, but you have gone through some difficult life changes. I hope you can get back to your quilting and that it will give you joy.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• gininmn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you to all of you. Even if I wasn't posting or doing much quilting, I was still here as a lurker or whatever it's called. Before getting back into swing of quilting things, I need to get my quilting things sorted and reorganized. I also want to sew some aprons and a quilted casserole carrier or two for some friends who responded to my request for 5 (got 6) people for a play-it-forward gifts from me. Two nieces and one nephew and 3 other friends. I asked them to provide me with favorite color, activities they enjoy, book types, special treats they like, favorite animals/pets, hobbies to get ideas of what to send them. They agree to post a message and select others to receive surprise from them in exchange. Fun figuring this out and, in some cases, making some things (stuffed cat, stuffed dog -- pin cushion or just cute toy), will make some goodies that ship well (one friend is from Great Britain). Might even do some quilted post cards or cards. Fun things representing hobbies.